PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Care

Bennie
20-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi
I had my inspection to be a childminder this week and I was given the ok to start. However, I did ask about overnight care and the inspector said she was fine for me to to do this but I should contact the local fire officer and she would too to see what they recommend I need to do. She thinks I need mains fire alarms not battery ones which are connected to each other and a fire door on my kitchen. If this is the case then I won't go ahead with this. She seemed very vague as to the expectations for overnight requirements and said no one bothers anymore. There must be someone out there that can help me! I have contacted the local fire officer and they have three weeks to get back to me. Does anyone know the requirements? She was happy with the room I intend to use.

Thanks
Bennie

blue bear
20-02-2011, 10:39 PM
I never had to contact fire officer but have been registered since pre ofsted, it has never been mentioned at any of my inspections. I am registered for two children over night.

I would be tempted to ring up and check requirements with ofsted

rachelle
20-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm registered for overnight. I had to provide a risk assessment and make sure smoke alarms were working and one upstairs (battery operated) No fire doors here, noone mentioned it either. I have a written fire escape plan and that's about it! :)

jumpinjen
21-02-2011, 07:45 AM
No fire doors or mains alarms required when i registered either..... they wouldn't register me for overnight when i first registered, they said they wanted to wait six months to see if i had any complaints first!!!!!!! On my grading inspection they were satisfied with a risk assessment for overnight, and consideration of needs of the child (separate information form, bedding arrangements, how child would reach me if needed in the night etc). There isn't huge requirement where i live..... I know a couple of minders that have night working parents, one of my parents is a single mum and has to work abroad 2-3 times a year and i have her LO 24 hours whilst she is away so it is worth it for me! I asked ofsted what time you could havea child to in the night that didn't constitute overnight and she shrugged and asid she didn't know......4am? she suggested! I have since asked my Do to clarify with ofsted and she couldn't get anything more definate out of them either and she was an ex ofsted inspector!!

jen x

Hebs
21-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm registered for overnight. I had to provide a risk assessment and make sure smoke alarms were working and one upstairs (battery operated) No fire doors here, noone mentioned it either. I have a written fire escape plan and that's about it! :)

same here :thumbsup:
i asked about fire doors, my inspector told me i didnt need them

pinkbutterfly
21-02-2011, 09:21 AM
I guess it depends how big your house is. If you just have ground floor and first floor you do not need mains connected fire alarm.
We converted our loft and put two more rooms there and a bathroom. In order for our extension to be approved we had to fit three mains connected fire alarms (one on each floor) that all go off together when there is a fire. We also had to fit fire doors on all the bedrooms. But this was nothing to do with childminding but with building rules and regulations. I doubt a fire officer will give you advice on rules and regulations so to be honest I think it's a waste of time. If I were you I would ring Ofsted to clarify this. I am registered for overnight care but the inspector didn't ask me about fire alarms or fire doors unless she was able to say what they were when she glanced. All she was interested was the space and how I would sleep the children.
HTH

Bennie
21-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone. I have spoken to Ofsted who confirmed I dont need mains fire alarms, or a fire door. I do need a visit from the fire officer and I am waiting for a date from them.. I spoke to the inspector that came out and she is happy to approve me for overnight care on condition of a visit from the fire officer. It seems shes gone from one extreme to the other!

allison
21-02-2011, 09:36 PM
i was told by DO that if you work after 10pm and before 6am you need to be registered for over nite care. i was asked by ofsted, on my last inspection, if there was any evdience that the fire officer had been out to check my proerty. luckly i still had the letter from 2005 :laughing: and that was enough