PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Baby Talk, any ideas ?

loobyloo168
19-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi all.

I have a 2 1/2 year old mindee due to start Nursery in September this year.

The problem i have is that Parents still talk to him like a baby. I have taught him please & thank you, colours, shapes, animals names sounds etc since having him, which he says beautifully when hes with me but as soon as he is picked up he reverts to full baby talk and other sounds he makes for words.

I have always made a big deal of it when he says a new word, putting it in his LJ, telling parents etc, so they know to continue it at home etc, but then as soon as he is in his parents company he talks completly in babble language, then they translate to me.

I have said to them that he can say many many words now clearly and they need to support this at home. I have told them that he sometimes picks up on words better when they are sung rather than just repeated but still nothing.

Parents were told by the health visitor at his 2 year check that he would be called back for another check as his langauge was delayed, this was the week he started with me. I have asked if they have chased up the follow on visit frm the HV but they dont seem bothered.

Its frustrating as when he came to me the previous carer got the blame for not teaching him anything, and i can feel the same coming when he starts nursery i.e me not doing anything with him ?

Is there anything else i can do to encourage the parents ?

mama2three
19-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Im not sure I would worry too much tbh. You know what he is capable of and he is just reverting to babble with his parents - it is not that he has a problem with his speech then , more his behaviour with parents. Maybe make a little video as part of his lj , or a tape so parents can see / hear what he can do and how he communicates with you. This would come in handy if there was ever a time he was referred to speech therapy by the HV also. I think the problem is definately more with parenting than a delay iyswim.

loobyloo168
19-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Im not sure I would worry too much tbh. You know what he is capable of and he is just reverting to babble with his parents - it is not that he has a problem with his speech then , more his behaviour with parents. Maybe make a little video as part of his lj , or a tape so parents can see / hear what he can do and how he communicates with you. This would come in handy if there was ever a time he was referred to speech therapy by the HV also. I think the problem is definately more with parenting than a delay iyswim.

I know the health visitor was concerned and there was supposed to be a 3 month follow up, i have asked a couple of times if they have heard anything about the follow up but they just say they haven't heard anything and have no intention chasing it themselves. They did seem concerned initially themselves but its subsided now and they dont feel it necessary to follow it up.

I think im more concerned because i also care for a child who attends special school due to having delayed speech.

Parents are very much into babying Mindee, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, he never misbehaves etc etc, so i suppose he just knows he can get away with them.

Mouse
19-02-2011, 04:11 PM

I agree with that. The problem is with the parents, not the child. It sounds as if he's still their baby & they're struggling to let him grow up a bit. Keep doing what you're doing and perhaps, when parents try to translate for him, say something along the lines of "oh, X, I know you can tell me that yourself. You speak so beautifully".

As for nursery, why not do a transfer sheet and highlight on there how good his speach is. Chances are they'll soon realise that he can speak well, but just choses not to when his parents are there.

loobyloo168
19-02-2011, 04:25 PM
As for nursery, why not do a transfer sheet and highlight on there how good his speach is. Chances are they'll soon realise that he can speak well, but just choses not to when his parents are there.

Oh yeah good thought, im going to give them his learning journey when the nursery start the tatser days and tell the parents its all about early years professionals working together ! Good idea cheers sweetie x x

Minstrel
19-02-2011, 05:01 PM
It is probably a bit like a bi-lingual child who gets used to talking in one language for one place and another when elsewhere.

mushpea
19-02-2011, 07:29 PM
It is probably a bit like a bi-lingual child who gets used to talking in one language for one place and another when elsewhere.

thats just what i was going to suggest,,, it could be that the parents are so used to translating for hiim that they dont realise that he can acutualy talk for himself and if he dosent need to speak properly at home to get what he wants then he probably wont bother.

Louise0208
20-02-2011, 07:55 AM
my 2.5yr old daughter is the opposite :rolleyes: she talks perfect for us but as soon as we have visitors or go to play group she babbles in her own language & makes me look like a liar with the 'playground mafia' :laughing:

(Playground mafia definition for those that dont know ....... those whos kids are potty trained at 6 days old, slept through the night from day 1, walking from 6 months, have an english degree by 12 months, have bugaboo prams (though i have one) always in there designer clothes & make up)