PDA

View Full Version : Almost registered, can I apply for variation?

chelseabun
19-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I am not far off receiving my registration. I have been lucky in that I have found wonderful mindees (who's parents understand I wont be able to start minding till reg comes through), it's to start in a few months.

Anyhow, looking at my numbers, and in order for me to have a full week, on 3 days, I will have 2 under 1"s. This will be for a period of 3 months until one of them turns one.

On these 3 days, I will have 3 children in total. I want to find out if anyone has ever been allowed to do this, for a short period.

I have no problem in being able to cope with the three littlies, and have enough space, and a triple buggy etc. I have alot of experience with looking after multiple children, so that's not a worry.

I just desperately want to be able to have a full week's worth of work, and realise I'm quite lucky to be able to get so much work for a newly registered childminder.

All of the families are so keen and I can't bare to turn one of them away.

Someone told me I can only apply for a variation after I have been minding for a while, but on the Ofsted website it say's I can apply in writing, and it will be considered, even though I will be newly registered.

Anyone have any experience of this.

All advice greatly appreciated.:)

muffins
19-02-2011, 09:10 AM
I have had a variations for 2 under 1's & even 4 under 5's. I don't think it matters how long you've been minding BUT the reason they give variations is for continuity of care for children already in your care. So if you had a child on a Monday & the parent asked you to have them on Tuesday, but you where already full they would prob allow this as long as you could prove you could provide for all the children.
Its my understanding they won't even consider a variation for a new mindee. Sorry, not what you wanted to here!

Zoomie
19-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I think OFsted do grant variations for 2 under 1's that do not fall under the realm of contunity of care, so you can loose nothing by applying.

With regards to your families, you need to choose who will be the 2nd under 1yo and tell them you can only take them subject to Ofsted granting the variation.

I was newly registered when I asked for a variation (but to increase my EYFS numbers) and it triggered a mini inspection.

Assume this was to check I actually had said equipment and how I coped with the children I aready had, but in reality was a check of the ages / names of the children on roll (and a total waste of time) but it was granted.

Edited to say, my extra EYFS child was originally in my numbers then parent wanted a few extra hours on a particular day and that would have taken me over my numbers, so that is why I applied (essentially the continuity of care reason)

Noomie
19-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I had a variation granted in the first few weeks of minding - but I was already registered. It was for an hour a day (I only needed 15mins) for four under 5's. It was that the two morning mindees nursery drop off 12:15 was after my afternoon nursery pick up 12pm. But they did give it and technically it was for new business. I was told off for it being new business and that I shouldn't do it again!

You can always give it a go.

*donnalouise*
19-02-2011, 01:39 PM
I got a variation for 2 under 1's within a week of gaining my cerificate. My own daughter was 10mth and the variation was for baby aged 5mth.

I do have a nursery nurse qualification, along with a lot of experience which i presume was taken into consideration.

I had to do a plan for them tho-outlining how i would meet the needs of all children... so yes, it is possible to get a variation!

Chimps Childminding
19-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I have just applied for a variation to have 2 under 1 - one current parent, one new (friend of existing parent) both children with be approx 8 months when second one starts (one starts June, other August). Emailed variation on Thursday evening, not heard anything yet!!,I am not new to minding, but there is nothing to stop you trying!!!

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

Alibali
19-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I was refused a variation for one day for 2 under a year when I was newly registered:( One of them was 1 yo the day after the baby was due to start:eek: :eek: I did argue the point and they granted it after a long discussion, but you never know what they'll say. Hope it goes well.

manjay
19-02-2011, 07:12 PM
All seems a bit mad when when you could have 2 under 18months if you lived in Wales:rolleyes:

chelseabun
19-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know how to actually go about applying for a variation, and how long does it take?

Also, would it be worth applying for the variation in the meantime before I even have my certificate?

Twinklestars
20-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I got a variation to take on my first mindee - I had my own 3 month old and needed to get one to start a 7 month old - as it was my first they limited my 5-8 year olds to 1 so my own 5 year old could have a friend round while I had this mindee until he turned one but as it happened I didn't take anyone else on til after his birthday anyway (but after my inspection before his birthday they just changed my certificate to say 1 could be under 1 and i could have my full numbers again when I got a good report)

No harm in asking :)

welshcake
20-02-2011, 01:28 PM
I had to ring them thursday last week over the same thing. this is what they told me.

They wont grant a variation to someone pre reg as you need to be minding before they will grant a variation.

Once registered they only grant variation in the first 6 months of being registered if you already are looking after one child from same family or like other's had said if a parent wants to increase hours and it would cause the child stress to move them to another setting. They like you to have a graded inspection out of the way as well.

I was also told to make sure you dont apply for too many variations, and you wouldnt be able to apply for a variaiton for same child if you had already been turned down.

I think before you apply you should ring them and ask their advice i doubt you will get one due to the fact you are not registered and the children are not even in your care.

But ring first they were very helpful to me x

mrs_scottydog
20-02-2011, 01:35 PM
My friend has a variation for 2 under ones, she only needs it for a few weeks and the children are full time. She'd been registered for a few months but these were her first mindees. She had experience of looking after twins and was also a nanny.
There's no harm in asking Ofsted, the worst they can say is no. I think sometimes they can let you know quite quickly if your variation ha been granted or not.
Good luck, hope it works out for you. Hx