PDA

View Full Version : safeguarding training

Polly2
18-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi there
I have been reading and writing about safeguarding children for my fd and it has got me wondering.

How much training do you guys get on child protection/safeguarding in your area? Is it updated regularly?

I feel it is really important especially after doing the research that I have and yet in my area you do a little section on it for the icp and then....nothing :( and yet at my inspection I was asked if I had updated my training! Which thankfully I had - off my own back!

I feel the LA should be putting on some kind of regular course on this and that it is as important as first aid. What do you think?

I want some info from you guys before I go on another crusade to my LA ha! ha!!

Blackcat
18-02-2011, 09:47 PM
my LA do it every month at least once, its up to the CM to book them self on it and attend for there 3yr renewal

miffy
18-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I've updated my safeguarding training every 3 years like my first aid - even though the basic signs/symptoms of abuse are the same there have been changes in procedure so I think it's been worthwhile doing.

Our LA have provided the training free so far. They were looking at doing just a refresher course for cm's who'd done the basic training but I don't know if that's up and running yet.

I agree with you, especially as Ofsted view safeguarding as such a hot topic!

Miffy xx

Mouse
18-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Our LA has been putting safeguarding training on regularly, but with all the cutbacks, I don't know if they will continue to. There is a course at the end of March, so I'm booked on it incase they don't do any more.

Deb
18-02-2011, 09:59 PM
We do our 3yr renewal, like our first aid - but I believe that a yearly update/refresher for both would be a great help and even necessary. I have updates from my local area protection board on an rss feed, and I do the online course at my own expense.

So in short, yes - I agree - more often please. I have found that with rehearsal and practice dealing with safeguarding issues has got easier and more effective.

Polly2
18-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Do you feel that an online course is enough or do you think it is useful to talk to someone locally. Knowledge of local procedures, who specifically to contact - things like this?

tulip0803
18-02-2011, 10:16 PM
My LA run courses in 3 areas and hold a course in at least 2 per term. However they recently sent out details of an on-line course as people where having problems booking on to them.

We are also expected to have refreshed every 3 years.

My own safeguarding course was run by the Family Centre that I work part-time in they set one up every 3 years.

sarah707
19-02-2011, 09:02 AM
I buy an update from the internet at least every 3 years and attend any courses run at times I can go.

I think it is so important to stay up to date things change really quickly :D

mumof4
19-02-2011, 04:17 PM
We have been recommended to update our training every 2 years, our la provide it free. I have just this morning been on safer working practice training and its scary how much we have to do to protect ourselves. so many cm`s seem to be reported for silly things, one example was a cm that had been reported for walking too fast to school and the person thought the children were having trouble keeping up!(It was dismissed!!)

Mollymop
19-02-2011, 06:02 PM
We have to renew ours every 3 years, if you can get on the course that is:rolleyes:

Zoomie
19-02-2011, 06:39 PM
In our area you seem to have safeguaring which is run by the NCMA for free.

Then the council run two safeguaring courses part A and follow on part B (for designated safeguarding practioners, which CM generally always are). They only hold 3 and 2 of each, each year. I am 2nd on the waiting list for part B but hear there are 16 behind me on the list. There were only 19 places for the course.

Don't think I am going to get on (have to make a decision next week or I can't give my parents sufficient notice) and then I think we have to apply again, if and when they offer new courses.

AnnieM
19-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Ours are put on by the LA, they are run regularly all over the area, we are recommended to redo it every 3 years, I am booked onto the Safeguarding Advanced course at the beginning of March, not really looking forward to it as I have been told it is pretty heavy going, but I have registered for community childminding so have to do it. :thumbsup:

manjay
19-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Ours are put on by the LA, they are run regularly all over the area, we are recommended to redo it every 3 years, I am booked onto the Safeguarding Advanced course at the beginning of March, not really looking forward to it as I have been told it is pretty heavy going, but I have registered for community childminding so have to do it. :thumbsup:

I update mine regularly as I too provide community childminding. Not easy but very necessary:(

Polly2
19-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Once again I am shocked at the total lack of what is obviously VITAL trianing in my area :(

Do you know we have a flying start program where cm's look after children 'in need' as respite for parents and yet none of these cm's recieve any special safeguarding training - or even any training at all. I mean you could be caring for children who have been abused, or you could be open to allegations of abuse yourself!

By the looks of what you are saying minimum updates should be every 3 years and some of you more regularly than that.

I think I need to write a letter. :mad:

manjay
19-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Once again I am shocked at the total lack of what is obviously VITAL trianing in my area :(

Do you know we have a flying start program where cm's look after children 'in need' as respite for parents and yet none of these cm's recieve any special safeguarding training - or even any training at all. I mean you could be caring for children who have been abused, or you could be open to allegations of abuse yourself!

By the looks of what you are saying minimum updates should be every 3 years and some of you more regularly than that.

I think I need to write a letter. :mad:

Looks like you have another mission:D

Polly2
19-02-2011, 07:45 PM
yup! :D

They are going to get sooo fed up of me :thumbsup:

manjay
19-02-2011, 07:59 PM
yup! :D

They are going to get sooo fed up of me :thumbsup:

No! They will start taking you seriously:thumbsup:

Polly2
21-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Well I have e mailed my LA and they only provide courses for LA staff, playgroups and nurseries :eek: She was very helpful though and said she would make enquiries as to whether they coudl put on a course specifically for cm's

I have also e mailed the NCMA to see if they can do anything to help!

We will have to see :rolleyes:

manjay
21-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Well I have e mailed my LA and they only provide courses for LA staff, playgroups and nurseries :eek: She was very helpful though and said she would make enquiries as to whether they coudl put on a course specifically for cm's

I have also e mailed the NCMA to see if they can do anything to help!

We will have to see :rolleyes:

Of course! after all it is only a bit of babysitting you do isn't it? Nothing like playgroups or nurseries:rolleyes: :D

Polly2
21-02-2011, 10:58 AM
:laughing: :laughing: yeh I know shocking isn't it! I have just sent a couple of links to Nick at NCMA from the Monmouthshire safeguarding web page where they say how commited they are to training practitioners!!

Maybe he can push em a bit!! Not holding my breath though :(