PDA

View Full Version : I've already said no...

Noomie
18-02-2011, 08:40 PM
A mum came to see me for two days a week. It's on my busiest days and with just starting with an assistant and lots of new babies, I just thought we were building up too quickly and needed to make it more gradual. So when she accepted I said no. One of my new babies was having trouble settling (and still is) and her boy - didn't meet him, btw - had some issues. She has now messaged to ask if she can still have the spot as haven't had any successes with other people and really liked us.

With 3 yr twins (boistrous and needing constant challenges to be interested) and a 10 mth old needing a lot of time to help him settle, I feel my DD (who is a lovely girl - not a boast, just is a great kid - lucky me for my first!) and another 10 mth old who is also good as gold, I feel they would just get lost.

How do you say no twice?

Deb
18-02-2011, 08:58 PM
It is manageable with 2 of you,and it's only 2 days a week. Why dont you sign for a 4 week trial period and if it doesnt work out then you have the option to say no. Tell the Mum this at the beginning of the contract.

RainbowMum
18-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Can you tell her its just not feasible on those days but offer her other days - see if she can change what she needs - that way you've done your best - if she cant change- then its a no xx

georgie456
18-02-2011, 09:00 PM
It is manageable with 2 of you,and it's only 2 days a week. Why dont you sign for a 4 week trial period and if it doesnt work out then you have the option to say no. Tell the Mum this at the beginning of the contract.

I agree. She obviously really likes you and hasn't been able to find anyone else that she likes as much, so why not do a trial period and see how it goes?

miffy
18-02-2011, 09:34 PM
It's worth giving it a try - if it doesn't work then at least you've done your best

Miffy xx

Mouse
18-02-2011, 09:47 PM
If you don't want to do it, just say you're sorry but the space is no longer available. Perhaps offer to put her on a waiting list. You could then see how it goes with the other children & contact her if you think you could manage her child.

Noomie
18-02-2011, 10:06 PM

I guess it is manageable. But then, I don't think I want to just manage even if it is for just a couple of days. I felt like that's what we were doing last Tues with the new little one and the other four and although Wed and Thurs were better for us with him, on the Tuesday I didn't like the feeling of just trying to get through the day. Adding Definitely Mon, Wed or Fri would be better. I will suggest this to the mum but think she is set on the other days.

jane5
19-02-2011, 07:54 PM
When does she want to start?

If it is a few weeks away your other lo who is having problems settling may have settled fine by the time she wants you to start.

Tell her to phone back in a few weeks if she hasnt found any care and see how you feel then

onceinabluemoon
20-02-2011, 09:35 AM
, I don't think I want to just manage even if it is for just a couple of days. I felt like that's what we were doing last Tues with the new little one and the other four ... Tuesday I didn't like the feeling of just trying to get through the day.

You have a very valid point. I wouldn't want to feel as if I was just trying to get through the day either.

If you do not want to take on this child please don't feel pressured to do it. Just say no you cannot do it at the moment.

Bug hugs x