PDA

View Full Version : Booster seats and lap belts?

vix84
20-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi, I currently mind 2 toddlers who are in proper car seats with 5 point harnesses etc. and am expecting my baby in June. When I return to Childminding I may have an extra mindee, so would need to get 4 in the car (baby in front, toddlers in normal places, and one in middle - school age). Can you get any type of car seats that can be attached using the lap belt, that then have a 5point harness? (I have high backed booster seat which has a 5 point harness, think it needs to be attached by a proper seat belt though, but dont know if these exist that attach just by lap belt)

Does anyone know if its ok to just use a booster seat and lap belt? (not that keen on this though) I am considering getting a 7 seater people carrier but may not get one in time

squiggle
20-04-2008, 09:38 PM
i have a seven seater and have a toddler seat on a lap belt.

i got the seat from argos, its red and black and is a fisher price one. will have a look if i can find a link. we struggled to find one that went on a lap belt and this was the one we finally found.

Think it was around £65.

Hope that helps

Jen x

Pipsqueak
20-04-2008, 09:41 PM
It might be worth looking into the ISOFIX. Halfords and Mothercare can advise you.

Make sure if baby is in the front of the car that the airbag is disengaged! (I am sure you know this already!)

Noodles
20-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a britax car seat that can be attached with a lap belt and has a 5 point harness but i dont think there are any booster seats available that attatch with lap belt.
I pwesonally wouldnt be happy using a lap belt only on a child as they can cause a lot of damage to a child if in an accident

Pipsqueak
20-04-2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.childcar seats.org.uk/standards/isofix.htm

Please note there is no gap between car and seats it starred the word out because it spells the alternative word for bottom!!! lol So when you copy and paste it take teh space out!

vix84
20-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, and will go to mothercare and argos to see what they have, have a golf so may be a squeeze!
I have a Britax which is a few years old, a grey spotty one and have the manual, and Im sure you can use just the lap belt. But Im still going to take a trip to mothercare one evening and see if I can squeeze three in the back untill I get a new car and if need be.
Thanks for the advice about air bag, I did know that, and luckily dont have a passanger air bag anyway - but its things like this that you dont always know of!:)

crazybones
21-04-2008, 05:54 AM
I didnt realise you could get a car seat with a 5 point harness that would fit a lap belt. I never used my middle seat in the Zafira because I dont like children using lap belts but will have to have a look at these. Thanks. :thumbsup:

fionamal
21-04-2008, 08:28 AM
My Zafira has a 3 point seat belt in the middle so I dont have that problem.

The best way to go is the Isofix system is so simple and no need for the cars seatbelts to be used.

Alibali
21-04-2008, 05:57 PM
My fisher price and britax car seats can be fixed using the lapbelt, I wouldn't recommend ever using a lapbelt only for anyone, spinal injuries can be horrific. You can have a 3 point belt installed in your car, I think it's quite pricey though. Treat yourself to that new car, It is in the name of safety after all!!!

Ali xx

deeb66
21-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I have a Britax car seat that was designed to be used for lapbelts as well as cross overs.

Have to say that it actually fits better in the car with the lap belt rather than the cross over one.

The only thing is that it is an old seat as it was originally Jack's seat and he is now 12.

Don't think you can get them anymore but maybe Britax do an equivalent one.

The other good thing about it is that you can take out the internal 5 point harness and use as a booster seat with back for older child.

It was designed to go up to the age of 6

berkschick
21-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Ella has a Britax seat and it can be used with a lap or normal belt.

It is just over a year old and I got it from Mothercare.

It is quite bulky though but maybe you could have a smaller toddler seat oneside of it and the booster the other?