PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for making a nice environment etc.

vix84
20-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi, I have been Childminding since September and was fed up of the cramped lounge so we are currently putting a conservatory on so we can take the dinning room table out of the lounge to make more room. The conservatory isnt massive so there is enough room for the table tucked in one end, and then I was going to have a home corner/role play area in another. Then just split the toys between the lounge and conservatory.
Im going to hopefully make some mobiles and things to hang from conservatory roof, and will stick up some of the childrens pictures and photo's on the conservatory windows.
Im also going to get some bright bean bags/cushions for a cosy area in the lounge.
Does anyone have any good ideas of how to make it look inviting to children and babies? Ive seen pictures of Nurseries where its all bright and it looks great, so want to introduce some of this in the lounge/conservatory.

Or does anyone know of any good sites that sell good value posters/cushions/floor mates etc.?

sarah707
20-04-2008, 09:00 PM
A biggie at the moment is about having a calm relaxing setting with natural light (great in a conservatory), gentle colours and lots of wood and natural textures etc.

Open shelving so children can self-select toys etc and of course plenty of space to move around in case of enquiries from wheelchair / frame users.

Also think about keeping the threshold on the conservatory and to the outside as low as possible to be inclusive for disabled children. :D

vix84
20-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Do you think the wooden skirting boards will be classed as the wood, and the natural fabrics being the carpet will work? ;) Not sure how to encorporate that! Maybe a treasure basket of natural things. I had my inspection 2 mths ago, so by the time the next one comes I expect it will all have changed!
I will just say about getting a ramp if ever a child with dissabilities is around etc. as I think we are having a step, although a ramp would be easier!
All the toys are in boxes that are easily accesible to the children and babies and on open shelves etc. I think I may just use one of the side windows from my monthly topic display, and stick there photo's and pictures on the dwarf wall at eye level and a few bright floor mats.

I can see the bank balance taking a dip, but hey, its for my business! Thats what I tell my oh lol!:)

sarah707
20-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Do you think the wooden skirting boards will be classed as the wood, and the natural fabrics being the carpet will work? ;)
Not sure how to encorporate that! Maybe a treasure basket of natural things.

That's a great idea! I have some wooden toys dotted around as well and a basket of things from the garden

I had my inspection 2 mths ago, so by the time the next one comes I expect it will all have changed!

Why do I think you are right!? :rolleyes:

I will just say about getting a ramp if ever a child with dissabilities is around etc. as I think we are having a step, although a ramp would be easier!

That's what I say! you can nick it if you like :laughing:

All the toys are in boxes that are easily accesible to the children and babies and on open shelves etc. I think I may just use one of the side windows from my monthly topic display,

Be careful! Mine suffers from awful condensation and the windows run some mornings!

and stick there photo's and pictures on the dwarf wall at eye level and a few bright floor mats.

I can see the bank balance taking a dip, but hey, its for my business! Thats what I tell my oh lol!:)

Sounds like you are well under control! :D

Angela234
20-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I have cut out "shapes" (circle, square ect) off coloured cellophane (see through) laminated them and put on conservatory windows kids love looking through them .

Angela

miffy
21-04-2008, 05:57 AM
I have cut out "shapes" (circle, square ect) off coloured cellophane (see through) laminated them and put on conservatory windows kids love looking through them .

Angela

That's a lovely idea Angela - now where can I buy some coloured cellophane?

miffy xx

RedDragon
21-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Every week you could put up the children's latest pictures/pasted stuff.

I would LOVE to have an extra bit onto my house. I've even thought about (only thought about) having a caravan at the bottom of the garden - but don't know how I would put it there/what the health & safety implications would be.

allinatiz
21-04-2008, 11:58 AM

miffy xx

Try a florists.

Jinx
21-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Ikea do round bright coloured bathmats. I've got 6 which I scatter about the floor to add some colour. I think they do them in White, Black, Green, Orange and Red. I've got 2 Orange, 2 Green and 2 Red. They are only £1.99 each and wash really well. I've used them for playing all sorts of games.

Jinx x

vix84
21-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks Jinx, will have a look on Ikea's website I have a few bits from there and its great!

Fandangles
21-04-2008, 03:31 PM
You can get window paint which just peels off when you no longer want it. My sister's daughter has painted some pretty stunning butterflies on their windows. Going to get her to do the same round my house.

angeldelight
21-04-2008, 05:58 PM
We did that with some paint on a window we did some flowers and it comes off really easy

Think we got the paint from Baker Ross

http://www.bakerross.co.uk/

Angel xx

hello kitty
21-04-2008, 06:13 PM

miffy xx

Try Baker Ross.

vix84
22-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Thats a great idea for painting on the windows, havent mentioned this one to my oh yet, will pick my time wisely!

I got some great hanging bugs that have a big swirl hanging under the bugs from Instore (Poundstretchers) for 99p each which will be great for hanging from the conservatory roof as they have silver reflection bits on too. I also got some big cushions from there, 6.99 each which the boys love sitting and laying on, as well as some childrens plastic garden chairs for 2.99

So managed to get quite a lot!