PDA

View Full Version : may be a bit of odd question

levason
18-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I am due to start minding a 9 year old next week for holidays. Im just wondering when we go out places, he will obviously need the loo is it okay for him to be going into gents loo's alone obviously i would be stood right outside the loo and what if i needed the loo whilst out? sorry if im being very thick but just thinking about childs safety.xx

Lorraine B
18-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I think you would have to use disabled toilets to be safe.
I have got hold of the special key just in case they are locked ones :)

kel1983
18-02-2011, 09:45 AM
When I take my 9 year old nephew out and he needs to use the toilet I take him with me in the Ladies. He is very small for his age and I would not feel hppy letting him go in the mens on his own. He makes me stand with my foot under the door as he doesnt like to lock the door.

I have been known to use the disabled toilet as I know there is no one else in there.

At what age is it safe to let them go in the mens on there own?

levason
18-02-2011, 09:52 AM
so what if I needed the loo? obviously with little ones we would all gather in the disabled loo,lol but obviously that not appropriate with a 9 year old? mmm, maybe I shall learn to hold it:D

bexcee
18-02-2011, 10:08 AM
This is something I worry about too. I take all my mindees to the loo but then the older ones are all girls so no problem with them going in the ladies and me waiting outside their cubicle.

Maybe ask the boy's mum what she does/what she suggests you do, see what she thinks.

I very rary go to the toilet when I'm out and about with the children. Have learnt to go at home and then wait and hold back on the tea :o probably not good for me but if I'm out with five children what are the alternatives?

Milli147
18-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Are they not meant to be within earshot or sight at all times? That would not be possible if he was in the mens loos, so I would definately get him to use the disabled cubicle. I don't think it matters what mum does, that's up to her, it's very different for c/m's!

levason
18-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Yes he will definitely use the disabled loo whilst in my care not the mens, oh well looks like I will need to hold it in,lol!!

The Juggler
18-02-2011, 02:10 PM
me too. i've only just started letting ds (11) use the mens when we are out. I always worry what'll happen behind the door :blush:

Blackcat
18-02-2011, 04:10 PM
I think you would have to use disabled toilets to be safe.
I have got hold of the special key just in case they are locked ones :)

where did you get the key from?

lfishwick
18-02-2011, 04:33 PM
They are called radar keys that the disabled can buy to allow them access to the disabled toilets - they can be bought online - but as I said they are supposed to be for disabled people or carers of the disabled.

Helcatt
18-02-2011, 05:18 PM
They are called radar keys that the disabled can buy to allow them access to the disabled toilets - they can be bought online - but as I said they are supposed to be for disabled people or carers of the disabled.

I might ask SIL if she is able to get one for me then as this is always a worry of mine too

Hx

Alibali
18-02-2011, 05:20 PM
My 9yo ds now uses the gents, he's too embarrassed to usd the ladies. I just stand outside and wait.

mushpea
18-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I take the 7ryold boy in the ladies with me,, if anyone was to huff or complain I would explain that I am his childminder and he needs to be in eye/hear shot at all times,,, when I go they stand with my daughtler (12) and she will hold the little ones hands whilst I go but she is in the toilet with me so i can hear and if they play up i shout throug the door and if one was to try and run off she would obviously tell me,,,not the best situation but I refuse to make myself ill not going to the loo.

It's a small world
18-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Yes he will definitely use the disabled loo whilst in my care not the mens, oh well looks like I will need to hold it in,lol!!

I use disabled too ...

I rarely use public toilets I have a real phobia of them just cringe at using them (but dont let mindees know this)

Not sure when this started but on a couple of occassions I have actually hovered over the loo to use it:blush: or place lots of toilet roll on seat... hovering is the usual option if VERY VERY VERY desperate.. I tend to go before we go out and as soon as we get bac . I knw its not good but cannot be helped :blush: :blush:

Penny1959
18-02-2011, 08:41 PM
If I am out on my own with mindees we all use the ladies - I don't care what others might think of 9 and 10 year old boys in the ladies - they are my responsibility and if they still need childcare then they can not go into the gents on their own.

If I need to go - and I often do - all the mindees under 5 have to stand with one foot under the toilet door so I can see their shoe and talk to them. Over 5's have to stand just behind the under 5's thus able to hear me - and me them. If have pushchair over 5's hold on to it (to keep pushchair safe) if no over 5's with me then pushchair wheels visable under door.

Penny :)

Adiamond
18-02-2011, 08:47 PM
My 9yo ds now uses the gents, he's too embarrassed to usd the ladies. I just stand outside and wait.

Me too, my ds refuses to come into the ladies with me !!!! x

Deb
18-02-2011, 08:54 PM
I hate the term 'disabled toilets'!

I would use them too, and you dont need to prove your disability to buy a radar key.

Blackcat
19-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I hate the term 'disabled toilets'!

I would use them too, and you dont need to prove your disability to buy a radar key.

I bought one off the net yesterday and it arrived this morning cost me £5.90 with postage