PDA

View Full Version : Honestly......I'm speechless !!!

maryp0ppins
17-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Half term break next week.

On the Monday I only have 1 mindee (12pm-6pm , 7 yr old) when mum picked LO up on Wednesday evening she said 'Oh I wont be bringing him Monday as I'm owed time at work so was going to take him out for the day'
My reply was ' OK thanks for telling me I can take my own DD's for the day as I only had him booked in'
She went away happy and that was that.

Tonight she has rang me and said ' oh how we discussed X not coming which give you YOUR TIME to spend it with your Girls I was wondering if you would not charge me seeing as I'm doing you a favour and not bringing him' :eek: :eek: :eek:
I reminded her it was HER that told me she wouldn't be bringing X and I never said I didn't want him........and the invoice remains the same....

She said she'll get back to me then as she might bring him (she has already told him she planned a day out for him though :angry: )

She gets child benefits for his time here, I know this because I've had to write to them numerous times with fee changes etc etc...

Cheeky c:censored: w is going round in my head!!

Would you have done the same????

Blaze
17-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I would have done the same & I would remind her of the numerous times you have filled forms out for payment etc...don't think I'd answer the phone to her till Tuesday now!:angry:

Ripeberry
17-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Make sure you are out nice and early as well. Seems sad that she is more bothered about getting 'value for money' than spending 'quality time' with her child :(

rickysmiths
17-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Make sure you are out nice and early as well. Seems sad that she is more bothered about getting 'value for money' than spending 'quality time' with her child :(

It is a shame isn't it but there are lots out there like this. Don't forget it is vital these parents get their me time. :laughing:

The Juggler
17-02-2011, 10:05 PM
rubbish isn't it. next time just don't mention that their decision means you have day off, or pretend that you are even if you arent' then she just won't have the cheek to ask for a refund. one set of parents said to me at xmas after they decided not to bring their lo - so you have some extra you time to spend with your kids. they were actually just being really lovely and thought they were doing me a real favour but actually I was still working all week :(

Helcatt
17-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I struggled with one woman like this

HAD to bring her son and get every last minute of the time paid for!

We had so many "conversations" about it, which she threatened to withdraw him from my setting, I knew she never would and he had so many dietary issues and no other minder had taken it seriously before

She wanted to hold un-used hours from one week to another when she needed them - all sorts. IT was horrible. One day she didn't realise it was an inset day at school and actually didn't tell me til I was about to collect him (she had all day) and was shocked that I expected paying

I was about to terminate the contract when she was made redundant anyway and ended the contract

Hx

Deb
17-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I learnt to keep my mouth shut. A parent once told me they were going away for a particular week in August and I said, 'wow what a coincidence, so are we!' She said, 'oh good I dont have to pay then do I?' bah

mummyof3
17-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I keep my mouth shut nowadays as one of my parents always trys to reduce her bill so if I mention a day off she is usually the first one to ask if she has to pay! :eek:

Ava's Nana
18-02-2011, 08:22 AM
i had the same...my parent told me i wouldn't need to have the children the friday before xmas to which i replied "oh thats good i can travel up to my daughters a day early now" when she brought round my money she didn't pay me for the friday as she said i wasn't going to be around that day to have the kids so she didn't need to pay me :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bridey
18-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I also never let any parent know they are giving me a 'day off'.

Louise0208
18-02-2011, 09:33 AM
i have also done myself out of a paid day off.....it was a bank holiday too :panic:

bexcee
18-02-2011, 09:36 AM
:angry: parents like this make me mad and I have learnt over the years to keep quiet and not share my plans with them!

If she asks you to have him now I would say sorry I've already made plans as you told me you were taking the day off then invoice her for the day as usual.

Some people have a cheek especially when they claim their child care back anyway!

JCrakers
18-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Definitly did the right thing...im sure she must get paid if she has a day off???

I get really annoyed when I hear things like this....Some parents just think we either do this job as a hobby or its some sort of job to fill our time..This is our career choice and we have bills to pay just like the rest.

A nursery wouldnt refund so why the hell should we get asked the same question each time...:angry:

Well done!
Becky x

~Chelle~
18-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I also never let any parent know they are giving me a 'day off'.

Same here :thumbsup:

She has obviously gone away and thought about it and realised you would be having the day off too and dont want to pay you for it.

Cannot believe her mentality of "oh well if I am paying you for having him, then you may as well have him" when she has already said she is taking him out for the day.

If she brings him to you on Monday, she is a total :censored: and I would feel sorry for her child to have a mum that thinks more of money that she does him :angry:

mufftie
18-02-2011, 12:25 PM
It beggars belief cheeky moo !

JCrakers
18-02-2011, 12:59 PM
It beggars belief cheeky moo !

Lol..:laughing:

pinkbutterfly
18-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Had a similar situation over Christmas. I was closed at Christmas but not other days. I planned an outing ... parent was due at 9 ... so we waited till 10.30 and I thought I'd better text as my children were getting impatient. Got a reply back ' oh thought you were closed ... we'll be there in 5 minutes'. LO came still in his pyjamas ... did not have breakfast. Had to make their money's worth ....

maryp0ppins
19-02-2011, 08:06 AM
wow....speechless again :laughing:

She text me last night at 10pm (:rolleyes:) to say looks like we'll both be having a day off on Monday, let me know how much I owe you (:rolleyes: FULL invoice as normal :laughing: )

Now need an :idea: ready for Monday :D

Hope you all have a lovely weekend (although it's raining here)

SammyM
19-02-2011, 08:26 AM
I've got a bit of a query too. Ages ago mindees mom said they were on hols for half term so I wouldn't have A on wed and thurs. So I've made plans to go out for the day on thurs, yesterday she said they're not going away now so could I have her on wed and thurs, told her wed was fine but have plans for thurs but could rearrange if she was stuck, so she said not to worry.
So what would you charge?? normally I charge 50% for non attendance. And I'm inclined to still do this, although it's me that's technically not available, but only cus she said they were away!! What would you do??

maryp0ppins
19-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Sammy I charge full fee's if none attending and half fee with a 4 weeks notice of anytime off.

I would charge what you intended to charge in the first place, like you have already said she informed you she wouldn't be attending so you made arrangement. This is where it's always handy to ask them to jot it down in writing so you can use it for future reference.

If they have decided not to go away now after they told you they didn't need you then that's unfortunately their fault.

If you planned to do the norm day to day stuff then obviously you would have her but in this case you've planned your day without catering for the LO!!

Hebs
19-02-2011, 09:43 AM
wow i guess i'm just really lucky with the parents i have at the moment,

the thursday before christmas i was only due to have 2 boys (brothers) when mum found out i was only having her sons she told me she'd keep them off so i could have the day off (she still paid too)
these are my longest mindess, had them from when i started minding really and me and mum have a fantastic relationship

:D

caz3007
19-02-2011, 09:58 AM
wow i guess i'm just really lucky with the parents i have at the moment,

the thursday before christmas i was only due to have 2 boys (brothers) when mum found out i was only having her sons she told me she'd keep them off so i could have the day off (she still paid too)
these are my longest mindess, had them from when i started minding really and me and mum have a fantastic relationship

:D

I am the same as you Hebs. My mums are great. One books ad hoc holiday care and sometimes her step DD comes down and has the children, so I get a day off paid, she never quibbles, she always says she has booked the day so thats it. I have returned the favour at times though, and collected her DD on a day I wasnt due to have her if she is stuck in a meeting and had her children free when she had to travel to a funeral, cos I feel it works both ways.

She is also a good friend now and we had a long chat on the phone yesterday as she is having employment issues and she needed to talk it through to get it straight in her head.

I have a good relationship with all of my parents and we all work really well together, which makes for a much easier life

jane5
19-02-2011, 07:25 PM
I've got a bit of a query too. Ages ago mindees mom said they were on hols for half term so I wouldn't have A on wed and thurs. So I've made plans to go out for the day on thurs, yesterday she said they're not going away now so could I have her on wed and thurs, told her wed was fine but have plans for thurs but could rearrange if she was stuck, so she said not to worry.
So what would you charge?? normally I charge 50% for non attendance. And I'm inclined to still do this, although it's me that's technically not available, but only cus she said they were away!! What would you do??

I wouldn't charge for this day because she now wants to use you and you are not available.
If she hadn't asked to use you I would charge her because it is then her choice.
I am either open for business and charge or I am closed for business and I don't charge.
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear :blush:

em29
19-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh that THAT old chestnut!
They are giving YOU the day off because it works out better for YOU...
They will be having the children FOR YOU to give YOU a lie in...

How ungrateful of you - cannot believe you didn't enjoy your time off and thank your 'employer' (:eek: as if!) by not not charging them for all the HARD WORK they are doing. ;)
:laughing:

Hebs
19-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I am the same as you Hebs. My mums are great. One books ad hoc holiday care and sometimes her step DD comes down and has the children, so I get a day off paid, she never quibbles, she always says she has booked the day so thats it. I have returned the favour at times though, and collected her DD on a day I wasnt due to have her if she is stuck in a meeting and had her children free when she had to travel to a funeral, cos I feel it works both ways.
She is also a good friend now and we had a long chat on the phone yesterday as she is having employment issues and she needed to talk it through to get it straight in her head.

I have a good relationship with all of my parents and we all work really well together, which makes for a much easier life

oh gosh yes, i've had her boys different days than contracted days if shes had a deadline for uni, i had them an extra day before i went on holiday so mum could get her disatation done x

Louise0208
20-02-2011, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't charge for this day because she now wants to use you and you are not available.
If she hadn't asked to use you I would charge her because it is then her choice.
I am either open for business and charge or I am closed for business and I don't charge.
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear :blush:

same here :thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
20-02-2011, 10:03 AM
oh gosh yes, i've had her boys different days than contracted days if shes had a deadline for uni, i had them an extra day before i went on holiday so mum could get her disatation done x

I too have been very flexible for this mum who continues to think I'm here for the fun of it :rolleyes:

I have had phone calls as I'm in the school grounds to pick X up as mum is running late & I have done as I could never see him left at school waiting, I've changed contracted days for this family about 8 times in the last 3 years, so I do feel I have been ever helpful and not really had the support back from them. It was only just before Xmas that she started paying me by standing order as every week payments were late/not all there/The classic I'm nipping bank & I'll drop it off later...only to not receive it :panic:
I've also be left standing at the gates waiting for X to come out of school only for the teacher to inform me X hadn't attended that day.

99% of the mum are fab & totally appreciate me & I too have really good relationships with them...

Just like to add I've checked my bank and the mum has still failed to pay me the correct amount, so I've rang (went to voice mail :rolleyes: ) to inform her She hasn't paid me enough money!!!

Rubybubbles
20-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I have amended my contracts to state if notice to given for non-requirement less than 4 weeks notice, I reserve the right to 72 working!!hours notice if they change their mind:)

I was having, I am picking up at 1pm, then didn't turn up till 3pm:( so I got tough!

If I am told a day off, then I will book a hair appointment or something that can save my weekend!

nokidshere
21-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Thankfully I am really lucky with my parents - they never quibble about money!

Today I should have had two boys aged 9 and 14. The 14 yar old doesn't need a minder but hates being home alone so she pays me to have him even though he needs no "looking after" and the 9 year old decided he didn't want to come today and has gone to his dads instead!

So she has paid me 60 quid for the day for doing very little - which makes me feel slightly uncomfortable but hey ho!