PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Jobs

arly
17-02-2011, 03:50 PM
How many of you have 2nd Jobs?

I have been a carer for 8 years + working evenings and weekends and I decided to become a childminder as I wanted my nights and weekends to myself and family, I have been registered since Oct last year and have a couple on the books and an enquiry for July. I am currently doing both jobs at the moment just deciding when the right time will be to go from being employed and self employed to just being self employed!! :eek:

Monkey26
17-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I do!
I childmind 3 days a week and work in a hospital the other two days - it suits me and i am much happier now than i was 18 months ago when i minded 5 days a week.
It makes self assessment a little more confusing but once you get your head around it, its fine! :D x

Lorraine B
17-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I became registered in November and have a mindee for 2 days a week and am also a manager for a petrol station 6 days a week have to say i am now getting tired of it all and cannot wait to get out of the garage after being there 10 years !
I have just taken on a full time mindee 4 days a week and his 2 brothers for hols :clapping: just waiting for a start date and then i will be handing my notice in at work :laughing:

Lorraine xxx

grindal
17-02-2011, 06:18 PM
I have just finished marking 350 a level biology papers. Only do it twice a year after exams, but certainly feels like a second job when I am doing it!

funemnx
17-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I carried on working for Tesco for 3 years after I started childminding, mainly because staff can buy cheap shares! A relief when I gave it up though :)

xdirtydancerx
17-02-2011, 07:15 PM
I have worked at the bookies for 7 years so I can pretty much pick and choose my hours/days there. I always put my mindees first but it's nice to have the other job to fall back on. It makes ends meet and I'll stay there until I can afford to leave for good :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
17-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I do a small cleaning job for a local pre-school (5hrs a week) and do some data input for my DH's company (evenings and half a day at the weekend).

Once I get enough mindees then I'll drop the cleaning job, as I'm usually up there until 10pm at night, this is after doing the data input. So I'm quite tired but luckily, no mindees start until 9am :thumbsup:

gegele
17-02-2011, 07:21 PM
i started caring when waiting for registration and first mindee.

you have to declare yourself self employed when you start earning money as a childminder i'm prety sure it's the law., second job or not.

i reduce my hour caring as minding was getting busier. i went from 5 evening a week to alternate sunday tea and beds.

i haven't cared over a month :blush: but i keep my foot in the door as if minding go down i can keep money coming

with assessment, they ask you if you have other employement and how much you earn from it. :thumbsup:

arly
17-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeh i am both employed and declare myself self employed too, wont have made a profit with childminding from oct-april due to start up costs so thats a bonus :clapping: but Im 16hrs a week and alot of mileage with the care job so trying to weigh up the pros and cons of giving up the caring especially with the cost of fuel!!! :angry: £137.9 for deisel...crazy.

Kezzle
21-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm glad i found this thread!

I was trying to weigh up if it'd be worth trying to juggle a 16 hour a week 'flexible' job where i'm a supervisor with childminding. I just wasn't sure how it could work as i get rota'd in on random days at random hours.
I do every sunday running the ship 7hours and then get rota'd in another 2 days during the week but hours change from 4/5 hours a day between 7am-6pm. I'm relied upon to cover managers and ill staff. Especially as two of them are pregnant and taking maternity leave at the same time.

I'm not sure if i'd be given fixed hours/days if i was to ask and explain why as i feel a bit rude that i'm trying to get employment elsewhere instead of putting my all into my current job? But at the moment i feel i need more income and i don't want to just quit my job when time comes and be totally skint.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Polly2
21-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I used to teach the piano in the evenings while minding in the day but once I became full minding wise I gave up the teaching.

Its sometimes good to have something to fall back on :thumbsup:

babs
21-02-2011, 10:31 PM
i dont have enough hours in the day to do childminding let alone another job.... i could of filled my places 5 times over in the last 3 weeks and ive got ppl waiting for places in september... but when i 1st started i still did my old job making kids party costumes at home use to work hours when i didnt have mindees...

coffee-time
21-02-2011, 10:54 PM
im still keeping my foot in the door as a driver for royal mail! i do that mon and tues and childmind wed-fri, im really worried that if i give up R.M. then dont have any kids to mind we'd be in trouble moneywise! so at least i have it to fall back on! much prefer childminding though, but it is quite nice having 2 very different jobs!!