PDA

View Full Version : Feel redundant!

rhea26
17-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi, mindee and ds are good friends and are both really interested in space and playing space ships at the mo, we have made space helmets, dens into space ships, painted loo rolls and made them into rockets, visited the library this morning and found a book on rockets and space but when their playing in their dens pretending their in space I often feel redundant as I'm told ' you cant come in here! ' I think its lovely they play so well and really use their imaginations but I feel as if I'm not doing my job properly if I am just observing them.
I have a dd as well who is younger so sometimes am reading and playing with her, but does anyone else feel sometimes they should be always involved?
I know its good for them to play without me and explore on their own, but I cant help feeling I'm not doing something right!

manjay
17-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi, mindee and ds are good friends and are both really interested in space and playing space ships at the mo, we have made space helmets, dens into space ships, painted loo rolls and made them into rockets, visited the library this morning and found a book on rockets and space but when their playing in their dens pretending their in space I often feel redundant as I'm told ' you cant come in here! ' I think its lovely they play so well and really use their imaginations but I feel as if I'm not doing my job properly if I am just observing them.
I have a dd as well who is younger so sometimes am reading and playing with her, but does anyone else feel sometimes they should be always involved?
I know its good for them to play without me and explore on their own, but I cant help feeling I'm not doing something right!

You are doing everything absolutely right:thumbsup: As a practitioner I think it is a tough one to get your head around that letting the children lead their own play is the right thing to do. As long as you are there for support or direction if they need it then I would just let them get on with it. At the other extreme you will often see moans that we wish the children would be able to play on their own.

We are taking part in a Communication Friendly Spaces pilot at the moment so my house is full of dens. Most of the time you would think I was here on my own as the children are always in one den or another:D

Ripeberry
17-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I see our role as facilitators and being available when needed. Sounds like you've got a good group, just enjoy observing them and making suggestions if they seem to be running out of steam.
I feel redundant sometimes myself as my own 6yr DD gets on very well with a 4yr old mindee and they are always doing things together.
I just help out by making sure things are out for them to play and if they request certain items, then making it available to them.

Much better than sticking your nose in all the time and it teaches them how to play nicely and and independantly.

Enjoy! :)

Ripeberry
17-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Manjay, know what you mean about dens, I love the summer as they have at least two dens outside and one inside and this spring I'm thinking of getting a "Plum Play Den" from Argos and that looks brilliant to play in :thumbsup:

manjay
17-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Manjay, know what you mean about dens, I love the summer as they have at least two dens outside and one inside and this spring I'm thinking of getting a "Plum Play Den" from Argos and that looks brilliant to play in :thumbsup:

I have just taken delivery of my new old fashioned wooden clothes maid and I am so excited:rolleyes: I am very interested to see what they do with that and all the material and enormous clothes pegs when they get home from school.

mushpea
17-02-2011, 07:31 PM
I have just taken delivery of my new old fashioned wooden clothes maid and I am so excited:rolleyes: I am very interested to see what they do with that and all the material and enormous clothes pegs when they get home from school.

do you have a link or a pic for this please? I am trying to get some stuff together for den building but need somthing for the 'frame' to hold it all up,

Vickster
17-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I feel that is what you want to achieve to facilitate independent play. To create is a great skill. My two older mindees (4 and 5) are fab at imaginative play, a few props and they are off.