PDA

View Full Version : Question about websites

samb
17-02-2011, 01:31 PM
When I first registered (last July) I bought a webiste domain and set up email address. I have a friend who wants to build her portoflio to help her get a job in design and she asked if she could design the website for me, which she has done and it looks great. However I didn't realise that to actually get the website live you had to pay yearly fees. Looks like at least £60 a year. Does anyone know if there is a different way of doing this? I am only registered to look after 2 children and so can't exactly justify the yearly fees. I have heard that you can set up a blog for free but as I have bought a website with my company name I am trying to work out a way of using it without costing a fortune! Does anyone know about this sort of thing? Thanks in advance!

pinkbutterfly
17-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I pay a yearly fee for the space and it's something around £9 a year. You should move the website and domain name to a different provider. £60 for a year is a lot for a basic website IMO. I would question your friend if I were you about this cost ... you can get a space for as low as £3 if you shop around. Ask her if she could move it for you. However the chance is if it's already up and running you won't get your money back so you may have to wait till renewal to move.

lorimac
17-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I did my own website via WEEBLY , completely free and easy to do.

jo.jo76
17-02-2011, 07:48 PM
My website was free, through microsoft small business using my live.co.uk email address

Noomie
17-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I have plenty of work and don't have a website. How much work do people get from websites? I always wondered if I should. Perhaps the fee is worth it if it gets you the business...?

pinkbutterfly
17-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I have had quite a few enquiries through my website (I come up on first page of google if you type my town and childminder). However I could not fit them all in so passed my friends' numbers. I have signed up one child though so the fee I paid I got back in just one day. However I do think the £60 is a lot considering I got a graphic designer overseas to do mine (then my brother cut it up for free) and it cost me £25 for domain, space and the design.
I did not want to use the free website building sites as the domain you get with them has their name in it plus you get the adverts on your website which I didn't want.