PDA

View Full Version : Retainer query - after all these years!

clorogue
16-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I have been childmiding for many years and am not quite sure on this one. I have taken on a baby (6 months) for 3 days a week and soon moving up to 4. Another lady is very keen to see me and would like to start with me in July or maybe September (when the baby I have now is 1). with regard to the retainer - do I have the right to charge a retainer for the space even though the under 1 year old space is not available at the moment, but a space is. I would be holding that space open for her and would not let that space out to anyone else, therefore turning possibly a toddler away knowing that she would be wanting my service? Or do i not charge the retainer? I am not sure if I have explained it all very well!

Really appreciate any input.

Rubybubbles
16-02-2011, 10:02 PM
A deposit, as the space she needs is not free:)

or you could see if Ofsted would give you a 2 under 2's varition, even though you are not needed yet, and then you could IYSWIM:D

clorogue
16-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Thank you so much. It is a difficult one to decide what to do as it is so long ahead and in the meantime a toddler could come along and need the space. Say I did go ahead with it, what deposit would you suggest a week or a month? Would she lose that deposit if she didn't use that space? I have always worked with retainers or immediate starts as the space was there. Many thanks.

rickysmiths
17-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Thank you so much. It is a difficult one to decide what to do as it is so long ahead and in the meantime a toddler could come along and need the space. Say I did go ahead with it, what deposit would you suggest a week or a month? Would she lose that deposit if she didn't use that space? I have always worked with retainers or immediate starts as the space was there. Many thanks.

A retainer is usually half fee and she would forfit it if she did not take up the place detailed in the contract. If you could not offer her the place when the time came you would have to repay her the retainer fee.

I take a four week fee as a Deposit when contract are signed, I keep it until the end of the contract and use it against the notice period. If they don't start the contract they forfit the deposit, if I don't have a space I have to return the deposit.

In your case it is very unlikely you would get a variation from Ofsted for the 2 under ones because it is for new business and they only grant variations for sibblings or continuety if care. You cant charge a retainer because you dont have a space to offer until the new child is a year old.

Penny1959
17-02-2011, 05:20 AM
I would charge a deposit because the space can not be used at the moment -
for example if the parent wanted to use the space for a day to have some time to herself she would not be able to.

A retainer can be charged as soon as the space becomes available.

You don't mention if the enquiry includes day that current baby not attending - if so this day is 'free' and so technically you could charge a retainer for that one day - but I think would be very messy and so I would just do a deposit.

You could still offer the temporary space to others (as extra days maybe to parent using service already) up until the point a retainer is paid.

Agree with Rickysmith re Ofsted unlikely to give variation as new business

Penny :)

clorogue
17-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Thank you so so much everyone. You really have helped. I never had that situation before and I thought it would be that way and you confirmed it and I appreciate that.

Anyway, the lady came this morning and what a super lady she was too!! I am taking the baby on and will be taking a deposit.

Thank you once again, really appreciated your time.