PDA

View Full Version : Feel guilty as just sent child home

Vickster
16-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Do you ever feel like this? he arrived with slightly gunky eyes, he seemed ok, but gradually got clingier and his eyes as the day progressed, so I rang Mum and advised her to get a prescription from the Doctors and to come and get him. Why do I feel guilty? She was quite shocked when she saw him as she didn't see him before leaving for work this morning

nic t
16-02-2011, 12:08 PM
I know how you feel!

Why do we feel so guilty eh? :rolleyes:

I would have done the same.

Pixie dust
16-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Try not to worry you did the right thing. I always feel bad about dragging parents out of work but at the end of the day they are the parents.

I had to send a baby home mon and they ended up in hospital that night as they were so ill. baby is a lot better now thank goodness.

angeldelight
16-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I used to feel guilty but do not any more - you did the right thing

Worse when you call a parent out and the child seems ok when they pick them up - thats when I feel guilty ha ha

Angel xx

grindal
16-02-2011, 01:14 PM
I remember calling a parent to collect her DS as he was ill - but was asleep in cot when she arrived. She picked him up and he was sick all over her :eek:

I was sooooo glad he had not done that over me

Dont feel guilty - they are better off at home

Vickster
16-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys, he did look poorly, but was still smiling! Hope he gets better soon.

onceinabluemoon
16-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I had to do the same thing with a baby a week ago and I felt really guilty. Poor little thing was thick with cold and has raspy breathing. Turned out he was very poorly indeed so it was a good call and baby got the meds he needed from the doctor as a result.

welshcake
16-02-2011, 07:09 PM
ah hun why do you feel guilty, you did everything you should do. Why dont you text her and ask how he is doing.. x x x

Mouse
16-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I've sent children home probably no more than half a dozen times in 15 years, but I still feel guilty when I do!

Last week one of my little mindees had had a particularly yucky nappy. After I'd changed it, I stood him up & he projectile vomited all down the front of me (I was kneeling in front of him). I was covered in it :eek: Afterwards he looked really pale (I think I looked green!) and I phoned his mum to come & get him. I still felt guilty doing it :blush: :rolleyes:

charleyfarley
16-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't feel guilty about phoning some parents as they certainly don't feel about sending them to me knowing they are poorly.

You did the right thing in sending lo home, hope he's feeling better very soon :thumbsup:

Carol xx

francinejayne
16-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I know exactly how you feel. J was with me on Monday and had what looked like hand, foot and mouth to me. Anyway, mum took him to the DRs monday tea time and he got antibiotic cream and medicine. I excluded him for 48 hours after seeking advice on here.

I saw him today with his Nanna and the blisters have spread to all over his face, they are yellow and oozing puss - looks like impetigo?

Yes I still feel guilty for him not being here, but I've got 6 other children to think about, and if they all got it then it would be my fault for not excluding him.

TammyN
16-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I know exactly how you feel. J was with me on Monday and had what looked like hand, foot and mouth to me. Anyway, mum took him to the DRs monday tea time and he got antibiotic cream and medicine. I excluded him for 48 hours after seeking advice on here.

I saw him today with his Nanna and the blisters have spread to all over his face, they are yellow and oozing puss - looks like impetigo?

Yes I still feel guilty for him not being here, but I've got 6 other children to think about, and if they all got it then it would be my fault for not excluding him.

if it is impetigo i was advised to not allow child to return until completely clear of spots by the doctor, make sure you check your policy before she returns with him!

charlie potato
16-02-2011, 11:10 PM

It sounds like he needs to be on full blown antibiotics and that another trip to gp is needed to confirm his illness poor mite.:( You most definately did the right thing the other day.:thumbsup: xx

Vickster
20-02-2011, 06:11 PM
THanks. Mum texted me on Thursday and said she was shocked at how bad he looked and thanked me for ringing ahead and telling her to get drops from Doctor. I don't feel as guilty now.