PDA

View Full Version : Need help, not sure what to do?

crazyhazy
16-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I have a baby due to start on the 1st march, the contract was signed back last June, hours agreed etc then. She has come this morning for a settling in session which went well and while she was here mum had a meeting at work to discuss her return. She told me when she returned that she will be doing a phased return over march and has given me the dates she will need me. I was rushing to go and collect my own dd from preschool so we never discussed payment but I have the impression she is expecting to just pay for the hours she uses in march and to what is on the contract.

I know legally etc I am right to ask for full payment and I will broach it when they come again next week, but am expecting her to be surprised. So, am thinking I could offer to charge for the hours she is using and 50% for those she doesn't or she is welcome to send mindee a few extra hours. The difference is quite a lot if I just charge for the hours she uses, original bill was 556 and it would only be 287, whereas if I charge the 50% it's 407.

Gah I hate this side of things, always feel akward!

blue bear
16-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I would not like it hanging over me and would be tempted to ring, sorry I was in a rush.. had to get dd etc you gave booked xxx hours for march at xxx cost
are you intending to sebd baby for all hours booked even though you are returning gradually?

Then you can clarify what she needs to pay, either total hours or minimum hours or retainer charge to make it worth your while keeping place. While you need to get rules sorted early on so this does not crop up again you need to balance it with not upsetting her and loosing the business altogether.

The Juggler
16-02-2011, 01:04 PM
i would just present her with the invoice for the full amount honey, then there is no confusion:thumbsup:

Penny1959
16-02-2011, 01:29 PM
As these are not settling in sessions - they are for mums gradual return to work - I would charge full.

I had full time twins start in Jan - but due to holiday owed that mum needs to take before march she is actually only going into work 2 or 3 days every week (the rest being taken as holiday).

She has the option to send the twins full time - which she has some weeks - but other weeks she has spent time with them at home - but I am still paid full.

Penny :)

jane5
16-02-2011, 03:39 PM
I would phone and say we were in a rush ect... but I would charge full fee's especially as you signed the contract last June:eek:

welshcake
16-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I hate this side of it too and am in similar scenario myself, but i was told by my mentore to charge for full day as i was not able to fill before or after the child attends.

She said the basic rule to follow is if the take the hours up and you cannot get some one else before or after then they pay for the day.

I know she is totally right but like you its not the side of the business i am good at. x

crazyhazy
16-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, think I will call the mum tmrw and clarify that she won't be sending her the other contracted days and explain that fees still apply. Will decide based on her reaction whether to offer a discount of some sort, hopefully I'm worrying over nothing and she will have already realised this is the case.

crazyhazy
23-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Just wanted to update and say thanks again, I didn't get a chance to call the mum last week but was going to discuss it today at the settling in session, but she called me yesterday as she was about to sort out tax credits etc so wanted to check figures. She said she'd worked it out at 280ish and I just explained that as the contract start date was the 1st march I had been expecting payment for the full contracted hours. She was fine, said she hadn't realised but it was ok, so looks like I'll have pennies in march yay!

flowerpots
23-02-2011, 08:44 PM
:D awww. pleased you got it sorted hun. :D

Blaze
23-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Pleased it al worked out:)

miffy
23-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Just wanted to update and say thanks again, I didn't get a chance to call the mum last week but was going to discuss it today at the settling in session, but she called me yesterday as she was about to sort out tax credits etc so wanted to check figures. She said she'd worked it out at 280ish and I just explained that as the contract start date was the 1st march I had been expecting payment for the full contracted hours. She was fine, said she hadn't realised but it was ok, so looks like I'll have pennies in march yay!

That's good - you were right to start as you mean to continue.

Miffy xx