PDA

View Full Version : Advise for Risky Play

phoebe-alice
16-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Now for anyone who knows me they will know I am a born worrier. :blush:
Probably as I've bashed and bruised everywhere throughout my life I'm really wary of situations of risky play even if its the little ones at the park and they are up high on a platform I will always feel my heart go ten to the dozen.
I just wondered is there any way I can feel more at ease when the kids are having risky play, I think if it was my own kids I wouldn't mind so much as children can learn by bumps and bashes but if it is someone else's child in potential danger I'm honestly petrified!
There is a risky play course coming up next year which I will try and attend but just wondered if anyone had any tips in the mean time, to stop this worrier from premature grey hair hehe. :laughing:

Polly2
16-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I would do some research on how managed risk taking so good for kids development. I have been doing loads of reading about it for my fd and its really interesting!

It is harder when it is someone elses child and I would definately go on the course, but do some reading yourself, put a search in on amazon :thumbsup:

kindredspirits
16-02-2011, 11:44 AM
i am the same - i hate seeing any kids high up with unprotected barriers.
no advice but just wanted to let you know you're not alone - and also my son is the biggest dare devil in the world but his only really serious injury was a broken leg which he got from slipping over and bashing a door frame - nevermind the amount of times i've caught him trying to jump off the roof of the playhouse or trying to bounce into a handstand on the trampoline! :laughing:

The Juggler
16-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I would do some research on how managed risk taking so good for kids development. I have been doing loads of reading about it for my fd and its really interesting!

It is harder when it is someone elses child and I would definately go on the course, but do some reading yourself, put a search in on amazon :thumbsup:

I agree, the more you read about the benefits the more relaxed you will become. instead of worrying about the falls, observe them as they play seeing what they are doing/learning - it takes your mind off it.

Google 'fishing naked' on google scholar. think pip posted a link once but I read it at college and that is a fab one.

mama2three
16-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree, the more you read about the benefits the more relaxed you will become. instead of worrying about the falls, observe them as they play seeing what they are doing/learning - it takes your mind off it.

Google 'fishing naked' on google scholar. think pip posted a link once but I read it at college and that is a fab one.

dread to think what would come up if you put it on 'normal' google!

Im almost the opposite really , I have an extremely relaxed attitude to risk and try to teach children to think through how safe something is before they do it - If you are happy to go a bit higher up the tree then remember you have to be able to get down! I had a lumberjack for a toddler , shed roof was no challenge for him! He is still regularly found up trees ( or falling out of them eh Mandy!) If I had worried about the things he did I would have been a complete wreck! You know the capabilities of the children you mind and wouldnt let them do anything way outside them but they get such a huge sense of achievement from going higher , faster etc x

just to add my mindees parents are aware of this 'philosophy' and our focus on outdoors before they even start. It hasnt scared anyone off yet but Id rather it did than have to wrap a little one in cotton wool!