PDA

View Full Version : herpes virus advice please???

igloo
15-02-2011, 11:04 PM
ok this is going to sound rather random so please bare with me as new to the site and pre reg!

A childminding 'friend' informed me after a discussion about cold sores that if a registered childminder has genital herpes (not just a cold sore) then that childminder would have to inform ofsted and may be liable to be closed??

ok I realise that lots of people get both genital herpes and or coldsores but is this really what could happen??

Id really appreaciate sensible advice on this as I cannot find any info on either ofsted website or cssiw or indeed just google??

thanks
igloo

The Juggler
16-02-2011, 07:28 AM
i'm not sure - is it on the notifiable diseases list maybe that's what she means??

igloo
16-02-2011, 08:02 AM
hi juggler,

thanks for your reply and i dont know if its on the list and i cant find any info on the list?can anyone point me in the right direction?I realise its a sensitive subject but help would be appreciated
thanks igloo

JulieA
16-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Can't help with genital herpes, can't see it on the notifiable list I have.

However, I do suffer with cold sores a couple of times a year. I am especially cautious not to pass these on. I wash my hands more rigerously when they are present, and use Compeed patches over them during the day so they are completely covered. I try to make sure that no contact is made with my face during the time they are present too. I have to say my own children haven't caught them and my oldest is 15.

Hope this helps?

curlycathy
16-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I can't see how genital herpes would pose a risk to others - you have to be in extremely close contact with that area to catch it and if a childminder is exposing children to that area then yes should be closed down but for other reasons entirely iyswim!!!!!!!!!

With regard to cold sores - most of the population carry the virus and at some point may have a cold sore. Think as long as you follow reasonable precautions you are fine.

igloo
18-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I can't see how genital herpes would pose a risk to others - you have to be in extremely close contact with that area to catch it and if a childminder is exposing children to that area then yes should be closed down but for other reasons entirely iyswim!!!!!!!!!

With regard to cold sores - most of the population carry the virus and at some point may have a cold sore. Think as long as you follow reasonable precautions you are fine.

then perhaps my friends fears are unfounded,but after some research (ok i googled it!) then it seems you dont have to be in contact with genital area but any skin?!?!!
now iam totally confused!
of course many ppl suffer from cold sores,and of course can cover them.

I will keep digging as my friend seems to be really upset by this and I hope I can find concrete proof ofsted etc dont need to know such a personal thing

thanks every one

sue m
19-02-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.herpes.org.uk/

Did you see this one igloo, was going to pm you with it but your box is full.

If you can't find anything about your friend reporting to ofsted, maybe she doesn't have to?

igloo
26-02-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.herpes.org.uk/

Did you see this one igloo, was going to pm you with it but your box is full.

If you can't find anything about your friend reporting to ofsted, maybe she doesn't have to?

hi sue,
will look on it now,but Iam only allowed 3 messages at a time as new member now deleted the others!
thanks for the link
igloo xx:clapping: