PDA

View Full Version : Any one else have just 1 mindee out of choice?

acorns
15-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I have just one mindee 3/4 days pw plus my own two (one of which has special needs) I'm happy with just one mindee and feel i can do the job very well as have more time etc Why then do I feel under pressure to take on more? As if I'm not doing the job 'properly' with just one. We go to lots of groups and my own two play with mindee very well, but half of me still feels there's an expectation from parents making enquiries and other minders that i should fill the other spaces:( . really not sure why i feel like this when I'm happy with what I'm doing:confused:

PixiePetal
15-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I did when my own kids were young - I never take on more than I feel can get the best of me and have never filled all my places in 16 years of minding.

I have spaces here and there so I can be a cover for my CM friend if she is ill :thumbsup: and have ex mindee back for odd inset days if they want me.:thumbsup:

Totally your choice - sounds like you are doing what is best for you right now :)

mama2three
15-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I know exactly what you mean! I have 2 full time under 3s, my own 4 year old and a couple of schoolies. Im doing ok financially and am sometimes unable to find the time or energy to do my job as well as I would like to...

Yet as I have a full time preschool place I feel under pressure to fill it! Not that I intend to but its almost as if I 'should' iyswim!

crazyhazy
15-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm similar, before last week I had my own two girls who are 2y and 4, a 11m old 2 days a week, 4y the other 3 days and a saturday, 9y before and after school and a 12y after school 3 days. Last week all but the baby finished and on the 1st I have a 1y old starting with me 3.5 days a week. The schoolies leaving was unexpected but I am loving not having to be here for the after school run and put up with the moaning, so have no intentions of filling those spaces again! Two little ones is perfect for me and financially we'll get by.

Bridey
15-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Currently I have 12!! However when I started my son was just two years old so I just took on one child. It meant that I could still give my son the same attention as a mother and slowly introduced me to the art of childminding. I gradually built up over the years but never put myself under pressure to do anything that didn't 'fit' in with me and my son.

SYLVIA
15-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I wasn't minding when my girls were little but I don't think I would have taken on lots of others at that time. Now I have lots but don't necessarily fill all the spaces.

mrs_scottydog
15-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I currently have one 2 yr old, three mornings a week and one after schoolie. I'm happy at the moment, I could take on some more part timers but if it doesn't happen it's not a problem. I like having time to spend with my own son so don't want to be completely full. Hx

ajs
15-02-2011, 08:47 PM
two of mine start full time school in september and i can't tell you how many people have asked me if i am going to be filling the places

NO i am really looking forward to having J every day but short hours and my little one just thurs morn
plus i have one after schoolie who i have had for donkeys years so almost like my own

helengreen13
15-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi, Im the same dont want to fill all my spaces and feel that I have a nice level at the moment with one part time during the week, one after school mindee and one extra during school holidays. What gets to me is that I feel Mums and the other local Childminders think that I cant get the work and not that I choose how much work I take on. I also believe that some parents have not used my facilities because they want their children to mix more with others.

flowerpots
15-02-2011, 08:54 PM
im full but in september i have 2 going to full time school and ideally i will fill one space and i have NO intention of filling the other one, i wont feel pressured because i ALWAYS do what is best for me and my family.:)

Fraggle1
15-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I've only got one part-timer - 3 days a week and I have my own 2 1/2 year old...I'm happy with this until my lo starts full time school and then I may take on another....I think I would only ever take on 2. :)

button68
15-02-2011, 09:52 PM
There are plenty of childminders around here who, whenever I bump into them, the first thing they'll say is... "Are you full?"

My answer is... "as full as I want to be" ;) I work wed-fri with 2 mindee's a day. No before or after schoolies and it suits me just fine :thumbsup:

Vickster
15-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I have a 1 YO and a 5 YO of my own and I have a 11 month old two days a week and a pre-schooler and an after schooler 2/3 days a week (shifts). That is enough if not too much for me :)

acorns
15-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I know exactly what you mean! I have 2 full time under 3s, my own 4 year old and a couple of schoolies. Im doing ok financially and am sometimes unable to find the time or energy to do my job as well as I would like to...

Yet as I have a full time preschool place I feel under pressure to fill it! Not that I intend to but its almost as if I 'should' iyswim!

This is exactly what i mean! It's also been posted that it's assumed we can't get the work, not that it's a choice & i do resent that a bit (the people assuming not the poster lol), as i turn work away fairly regularly. I do appreciate that it's a fortunate position to be in though:thumbsup: . I'd never take on more than suits me and my family. mmm thinking maybe I'm a bit over sensitive!!

Chimps Childminding
15-02-2011, 10:55 PM
As from September I will be "full" 2 days a week. More than enough for me!! I would love just to have littlies, but it is so hard when you have had a child from a baby to say you don't want to carry on having them when they go to school (there is no after school club here). :(

This september I have another mindee starting school and mum wants me to do before/after 2 days a week - but this is the 3rd year running a mindee has started school and I have been asked to do before/after - so I end up with more and more schoolies, which really isn't what I want, but how do you say no :panic:

donnamarie2
16-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Hi,I registered last year and have 3 children of my own these are 7,6,18months.
I have 1 after school child and have a little girl the same age as my daughter starting (hopefully) for 3 days , that will be absolutly fine for me as i'm earning enough money wise and will still have time alone with my daughter.
This is all i want from childminding at this time as i want it to be manageable for me.

Blackcat
16-02-2011, 08:03 AM
I only have one mindee by choice, she is under a year old , i will be working 3 days a week and have two off. plus my own two
i am happy with that

loocyloo
16-02-2011, 08:12 AM
i've been working at capacity, not really through choice:rolleyes: but as mindees had baby siblings, they followed along after, and i had them as they moved up to school too!

however, its worked for my family, as the few children i had when my children were little, have all grown up with us, and yes, its busy, but everyone gets on really well.

but, i'm moving, and when i start again, ideally, i only want to take on LO, as my 2 are at school, and i want the time with them to settle them into school and make friends etc! i don't want them forced to become friends with someone just because they come to our house to be minded!

manjay
16-02-2011, 08:14 AM
I work very part time at the moment as that is what suits me. One week I have 2 days off 9-3 and the alternate week I have 4 days off 9-3. When I say 'off' I mean no children but that doesn't mean I am not working. I am usually writing assignments or researching for Uni. I think sometimes others don't see the full picture:rolleyes:

caz3007
16-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Up until March, I have often had time off as work one day with one LO and the other is ad-hoc, sometimes he doesnt arrive until 2pm. I also have quite a few after schoolies.

In march I will be working 4 days a week with a new Lo as well as the others. I will be having Tuesdays off during school time. I have a place for another under 3, but I dont want or need one. If money became tight then I would consider another part timer to help us out financially. I am happy with my situation and dont care that I am not full, it suits me and my family and thats what matters

Louise0208
16-02-2011, 12:30 PM
i choose not to be full, i refused a full timer last month as it would be 8-6 for a 6 month old for a 3 year contract (if things went to plan). i like my time with my daughter & being able to have a few odd hours a day to prepare dinner etc stress free :D

i have a 3yo for 2 hours a day, a 6yo 1-2 hours a day and then during the school holidays i do monday to friday 9-3 for the above 2 + 1 6yo sibling.

i have 4 of my own children and my partner live & works away so there is only so much i can take when i dont have adult conversation at the end of the day :laughing:

mr man
16-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I did when my own kids were young - I never take on more than I feel can get the best of me and have never filled all my places in 16 years of minding.

I have spaces here and there so I can be a cover for my CM friend if she is ill :thumbsup: and have ex mindee back for odd inset days if they want me.:thumbsup:

Totally your choice - sounds like you are doing what is best for you right now :)

this is exaclty how i plan to run things. I have 3 under 5 ( one of who is in full school) and i'm really happy with it. i do have my own two. the 2 toddlers are not full time either , one is 3 days and the other 2 days they over lap one day. so i feel i can give them the time and attention they need, plus have great flexibility.

rickysmiths
16-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Currently I have 12!! However when I started my son was just two years old so I just took on one child. It meant that I could still give my son the same attention as a mother and slowly introduced me to the art of childminding. I gradually built up over the years but never put myself under pressure to do anything that didn't 'fit' in with me and my son.

I did this as well. Started with one lad 1-5 each afternoon. Now I have 4 under 5 every day and 2 before and after school and am waiting for my sons (he is 16yrs now) registration as my assistant to come through.

Rmead
16-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I've only just started out but only wanted one full time child and a part timer or two. I have a daughter who's just about to turn 1. As it happened I've got siblings hopefully signing next week so a full time 20 month old 5 days a week and half days with the 3 yr old sibling 4 days a week. It's fuller than I wanted even but the 3 yr old will go to school in September so will just be after school/pick up. I've yet to have people question why I don't have more but sure it will happen!