PDA

View Full Version : Conjunctivitus

pinklady
15-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Well ds2 has woken up with one eye completely shut due to conjunctivitis. :panic: I always excluded children who were infected but it seems the new guide lines & ds's pre school say it's not necessary as long as the child is ok in themselves. Well O is definitely not 100% & I'd rather have him home with me so I can put his eye drops in.

I have closed today as I only have 1 mindee today and he's only 8 months & as I say ds isn't feeling well anyway. I plan on opening tomorrow.

So what do you all do about conjunctivitis? Do you exclude?

FizzWizz
15-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Yucky! Conjunctivitus is not nice for little ones is it? It is so so contagious that I do exclude children (having said that I am a bit of a soft touch and let one child return too early and my whole family went down with it!). Am a relatively new childminder so still learning to be more assertive about these things.

If it is my own children who are ill then I do give the parents the option of still using me but make them aware of the risk of catching it!

Hope DS is better soon!

Ali56
15-02-2011, 10:03 AM
I do exclude fo LO's until its treated, older ones I don't mind so much. They have to be old enough to leave it alone, and it needs to be not to bad. Its so contagious and lo's rub their eyes then spread it to everything they touch. I know we don't have to exclude, but I don't think its fair on the other lo's.
Hope your DS is feeling better soon.x

ajs
15-02-2011, 12:10 PM
i do wonder about this as i have woken up to a very swollen eye and extremely itchy but i have not cancelled the children. to be honest i don't think my parents would be too impressed if i shut because i hve a sore eye

i have got some cream from the pharmacist so i just have to make sure i am extremely careful about hygeine

Aimi-jo
15-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I have it at the mo, its incredibly irritating and uncomfortable and im an adult cant imagine how little people feel when they have it, Took my oh 15mins to get my drops in lol, im such a baby:laughing:

Mouse
15-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't exclude for conjunctivitus, nor do I insist on treatment.

I've never had a case of it being passed round to either my family or the other mindees, so it's not been a problem.

pinklady
15-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I have it at the mo, its incredibly irritating and uncomfortable and im an adult cant imagine how little people feel when they have it, Took my oh 15mins to get my drops in lol, im such a baby:laughing:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
DS is being very brave with his drops, putting you to shame! :D Hope you're betting soon and you ajs:thumbsup:

I'm will be open tomorrow but don't regret closing today & I haven't inconvenienced my parents because my mindee's sibling is poorly so Dad is home with him anyway which makes me feel much less guilty!