PDA

View Full Version : Help - what to charge???

marnieb
15-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi all,

Ds has a hospital appointment in a few weeks. I told the one mum that it affects, and gave her a list of options as it means I'll have to start work about 2 and a half hours later than normal.

So yesterday she told me not to worry as she's taking the day off as leave.

Now, I told her I'd be working the rest of the day as normal, so does she expect me to take the day off from her, unpaid??

OH thinks that because she has plently of notice and it her decision to take it off as leave I should still charge her for the day, but at my holiday rate of 75% of her daily rate.

Mum and I get on really well, she's one of my best payers!!!! I am doing her invoice today for payment at the end of the week, so I need to get this resolved!!

Thanks,

Daftbat
15-02-2011, 08:22 AM
I would charge a normal holiday retainer proportionate to the amount of hours you were available for work.

muffins
15-02-2011, 09:06 AM
personally I wouldn't charge as it is you who has disrupted the day in the 1st place & it might not be possible for her to take part of a day off work!

rickysmiths
15-02-2011, 09:15 AM
personally I wouldn't charge as it is you who has disrupted the day in the 1st place & it might not be possible for her to take part of a day off work!

I think I agree on this one.

marnieb
15-02-2011, 09:27 AM
If it was that i would - but I have given her loads of options to fit in, and I know her job is flexi hours, she chooses to work 7.30 - 3 atm, but she has told me she can change when needed, which is why I gave her lots of notice, and I am available to work the rest of the day, it's her decision to take the day off, not mine.

JCrakers
15-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I would charge the holiday rate as you have said you will be open later.:)

The Juggler
15-02-2011, 02:19 PM

I agree, if you can't meet the contract hours and she is forced to take the day off then I would not charge.:)

marnieb
15-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I agree, if you can't meet the contract hours and she is forced to take the day off then I would not charge.:)

But I'm not forcing her to take the day off!!!!!!! How would you think that!!!!

I gave her 4 (yes 4!!!!!) alternatives, all of which were, to me, completley accepatable, including the child going to my back up cm, and I even offered to pick him up from their house so she can go straight to work at 9am, it's not even interrupting their day..................................

not really feeling the support over this.

Goatgirl
15-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Marnie :),
If it was me and I'd offered alternatives, including one that suits current times, with plenty of notice (which it seems you have :thumbsup: ) I'd charge the hours I would be available. Up to her if she gets the child to me or not.

Hope it works out ok :)

bws,
Wendy

blue bear
15-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Put the charge on the invoice and if mum questions it then come to a mutual compromise, she is probably taking flex time and not worried.

I have always taken mindees with me so never had this problem myself.

youarewhatyoueat
15-02-2011, 04:37 PM

I gave her 4 (yes 4!!!!!) alternatives, all of which were, to me, completley accepatable, including the child going to my back up cm, and I even offered to pick him up from their house so she can go straight to work at 9am, it's not even interrupting their day..................................

They were acceptable to you but not to her so she has decided to take the day off, you can not offer her full day care so you can charge if you wish but is it worth her being a bit put out because I would be.
Her work may not want her to start later especially if she does flexi hours as some firms ask for a minimum day or you don't get paid. How much do you stand to lose?? is it worth the fuss??

Minstrel
15-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Of course you are supported, that's why everyone is trying to help and offer the advice you have asked for. Just because you haven't been given the answers you hoped for, doesn't mean you aren't supported. If you already decided what you were going to do then it doesn't matter what anyone here think, does it?

Hope you get it sorted without falling out with your parent. Seems like you have a good'un there.

Louise0208
15-02-2011, 06:49 PM
i personally wouldnt charge :) i have quite a few hospital appointments for both me & my daughter & if i cant take the children with me (with parental concent and so on..) then i would take a days unpaid leave.

No matter how much you think it might not be uninterupting the parents day, they might not feel comfortable leaving the child with a minder they dont really know so wouldnt trust 100%, or they might not want to work later as they have other plans etc

:D

Mookins
15-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I personally wouldnt charge either and would take the day off as knowing what hospitals aare like couldntguarantee to be back anyways so causing more disruption

i think youve already decided you'd ask her to pay so dont worry about it hun she may not even say anything

nic t
15-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't charge either. I'd just write it off as one of those things!

flowerpots
15-02-2011, 08:39 PM
sorry hun i seem to agree with the majority, i wouldnt charge, one of my parents work flexi-time but they work it to suit their schedule not mine. :)

angiemog
15-02-2011, 08:43 PM
sorry hun i seem to agree with the majority, i wouldnt charge, one of my parents work flexi-time but they work it to suit their schedule not mine. :)

I agree with this too, probably not what you want to hear. x

The Juggler
15-02-2011, 09:58 PM

sorry hon I didn't read your later post before I replied. I didnt' mean YOU were forcing her but that her work might force her to take a days leave rather than allow her to take half day.

I know she has shift options but can she always choose them they are often set ages in advance. I have a parent that would not want her child to ever go to a back up CM, she'd rather not confuse her child so maybe she thinks like this???

I have to admit that if I couldn't work the day as planned and parents decided that it was simpler to take the day, I then wouldn't charge. I might though ask when bookign the time off, if she would consider changing her shifts for that day but I don't think that just because we need them to change that day they necessarily should. After all if they weren't on a shift rota that wouldn't be an option.

Hope the appointment went well though.

Chimps Childminding
15-02-2011, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't charge either!! If I need to change hours/days and its not convenient to the parent then thats my problem :blush:

berkschick
15-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry, another non charger here!

If she is a great parent and payer etc then I would not rock the boat.

It is great when you get on so well with the parents, I get on great with many of mine and would not risk spoiling the relationship TBH.

I can understand how it is ok for you to charge but it wouldnt sit right with me when it was me who had changed the arrangements for that day.

Louise0208
16-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Sorry, another non charger here!

I can understand how it is ok for you to charge but it wouldnt sit right with me when it was me who had changed the arrangements for that day.

hit the nail on the head with me there :thumbsup:

bexcee
16-02-2011, 01:51 PM
How about you don't charge her for the time for aren't really available ie the hospital appointment/travel time then charge your holiday rate from the time you would get home from the hospital to the child's normal collection time.

welshcake
16-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Sorry I wouldnt charge either, mainly cos you changed the hours and she has taken the day off. I think my parents would be offended if i charged after they had to change their work arrangements because i couldnt work as contracted to.

westbrom44
16-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I had an afternoon hospital appointment recently and gave parents the option of sending their children for the morning or the day off. I didnt charge those parents who took the day off and charged just the hours worked for children who attended.

Vickster
16-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't charge esp as you said you had a good relationship with her and they are good payers.

marnieb
16-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

I've gone with the majority and not charged her. As it's a 5 week month and it means like I feel I'm actually getting paid, the loss of 1 days earnings isn't too noticable, especially as I hopefully have a new 3 day contract starting in March!!!

The Juggler
16-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

I've gone with the majority and not charged her. As it's a 5 week month and it means like I feel I'm actually getting paid, the loss of 1 days earnings isn't too noticable, especially as I hopefully have a new 3 day contract starting in March!!!

good luck with the new contract hon :D

welshcake
16-02-2011, 07:01 PM
good luck and it sounds as if you have a good parent there, which are hard to come by.. x x x x