PDA

View Full Version : should I exclude - possible bacterial infection?

francinejayne
14-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Today J aged 18 months came to me and mum told me he was a bit off colour and she'd given him Calpol at 8am. He was fine with me and we went to playgroup as normal. When we got there at 9.30 I noticed blisters around his mouth - I checked his hands and feet and they were clear. Up to 11am quite a few more blisters around his mouth appeared.

At 1pm he woke from his sleep and was very upset - i gave more calpol and within 20 minutes he was Ok again.

When I changed his nappy at 2pm I noticed spots around his bottom and top of the legs, again hands and feet are still clear of spots.

I mentioned to mum that i thought it might be hand foot and mouth? Mum took him to the DRs after work and DR has told her it might be a bacterial infection, he has got cream and antibiotics.

Do I have to exclude him, and if so for how long?

TammyN
14-02-2011, 07:40 PM
my mindee had something similar few weeks back, long story but i took her the docs and it was confirmed as Chickenpox.it was not on her trunk just face, bottom and then on hands. see how he is next time but if still there i would ask for another gp visit to check it's not 'developed' into anything more than viral. my mindee ended up with impetigo as the initial spots got infected!

Dragonfly
14-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I would for a couple of days at least to see if things clear up, you dont want to be spreading what ever it is around.

francinejayne
14-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I've told mum to keep him away for at least 48 hours, and he can only come back when the blisters have dried up.

I feel awful excluding him, like I am really letting the family down :(

miffy
14-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I've told mum to keep him away for at least 48 hours, and he can only come back when the blisters have dried up.

I feel awful excluding him, like I am really letting the family down :(

No, you shouldn't feel guilty - he clearly isn't well and you don't know what you're dealing with.

I would have excluded anyway in case he has an allergic reaction to the antibiotics.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
14-02-2011, 10:27 PM
sounds like hand food and mouth to me. often affects the nappy area too.