PDA

View Full Version : getting mums by-in to tweeking naps

newandlearning
14-02-2011, 05:14 PM
hi all..

I feel soo tired.. I've got loads of QUILT stuff to prepare and funding stuff.. which I do in my own time.. and I really need 30 mins each day to have my lunch in peace.

On top of that one of my mums wants me to start doing painting and craft activities with her LO.. which is fine but she sleeps thru all our groups and misses all the crafts.. our lunch can sometimes take 1hour to 1.5 hours depending how much we talk and then if the LO only sleeps in morn I get no break... one top of this LO gets no crafts as asked by mum.

When I asked the mum today her feelings re me having LO sleep for 45mins to 1 hour in morn and then 1 hour again after lunch she said 'well we can try it'.. but I like her sleeping in the morn.. I said I'm happy for her to sleep in the morn but that I don't do crafty stuff straight after lunch.. we tend to do art stuff again after school pickup...

I don't think she is really up for it... and kinda wish I hadn't bothered asking her.. I know the LO is her child and we are meant to follow the child's needs which I am doing.. but the mum also wants artie stuff home each week and I'm feeling stressed out.. LO is here 7 till 4.30 and don't always find time for snack and art stuff between 3.45 and 4.30 :panic: :panic:

I'm sorry I'm ranting.. I'm just feeling sad at the moment .. I've felt down since new years and realising that now I'm divorced every rest of my shoulders and I'm just soo tired of doing everything most of the time.:(

blue bear
14-02-2011, 05:28 PM
sounds like parent needs to have control over Lo's day, it is common when you feel so guilty leaving your lo but you do have to work together it's abit of give and take.

How old is lo? most children switch to an after lunch nap at some point naturally. I would try cutting the morning nap down so LO can do craft as requested by mum but if it does not work for LO tell mum you have tried but its not in her child's best interset at the moment but it will come as LO gets older.

Katiekoo
14-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Gosh you sound very busy! I would try and fit it in when you can. It's difficult as you say, the parents wishes are important.
If we're pushed for time in the day, on occasion I 'over prepare' the craft the night before (leaving just the sticking/ colouring to do), so that it will take just a few mins for the child to do. Also keep some of the craft to one side for any 'sleepers' to do when they wake.
Alternatively you could let them do quick fingerpainting/colouring on a big sheet of paper- then when they have all gone home cut it into a nice shape/make it into something appealing (stick bobbly eyes on it or make it into a card) to send home the next day - obviously being completely open about the amount the child has contributed!
:)

rickysmiths
14-02-2011, 05:43 PM
If the lo is old enough to do craft activities then I would reduce the sleep while you are at toddler groups. Let them take part in the group and activities there. I only spend 20mins tops on lunch if I am out in the morning. I try to prepare it before we go out so it is quick to serve or quick to prepare when we get home. I aim to have mine asleep by 1pm at the latest so they have a good sleep if they need it before we go on the 3pm nursery/school runs. It is this window I use to get ready for later, catch up on paperwork etc.

I will have any after school craft activity ready before I leave on the school run. I also get cups and plates ready so all I have to do is cut up the fruit and pour the drinks when we get home. Usually by the time I put the last plate on the table the first has finished! :laughing: so it doesn't take long. Then I do whatever activity. It always surprises me how much we get done.

Yes we have to take into account a los routine but we don't and can't be a slave to it. We have to consider all the children together.

miffy
14-02-2011, 05:49 PM
I'd just tell mum you can't fit in the crafts atm due to lo's sleep times but when she gets a bit older and sleeps pm then she'll be able to join in with everyone else.

Is lo with you every day? If not then perhaps mum could do some crafts with her at home.

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
14-02-2011, 05:53 PM
If I know we've got a busy day I prepare craft stuff the night before.

I'd also spend less time talking and more time eating and cut lunchtimes down to 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour which will free up some time for you. You can talk over crafts instead perhaps?

Personally I wouldn't mess around with LOs nap times if they are well established or you could end up with a tired cranky child and still no crafts or peace and quiet for your lunch.

good luck x

Gherkin
14-02-2011, 06:21 PM
There is a poem by Sue Heard (1990) that really addresses the whole arty crafty issue. You can see it here (page 6 of the document I think).

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/tasters/e124/objects/d1284.pdf

I have some children who would love to do craft activities all the time and others who have no interest what so ever. Might be an idea to give it out on a newsletter to all parents and then they may understand that their childrens learning isn't all about art/craft.

Gherkin
14-02-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd also spend less time talking and more time eating and cut lunchtimes down to 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour which will free up some time for you.

I also agree with this. At school they will not get an hour to sit and eat and I feel the children need to get used to having 30-45 minutes for lunch so that when they are at school they get some playtime as well.

ChocolateChip
14-02-2011, 07:58 PM
We also rarely get more than 30 minutes for lunch, I have to do a swapover at nursery for 12.30, the ones I pick up will have stayed for lunch club and that is only 30 mins.
Having said that you are going to groups and providing opportunities for craft, but if the lo sleeps through it what does the mum expect you to do exactly?
I imagine that if your other lo's have done craft in the morning they won't want to be doing it again in the afternoon, but can you do something with the lo while watching the others play?
Am I right in thinking she sleeps most of the morning, and then again after lunch? Or have I misunderstood that part? Also how old is she?
Difficult to say without knowing a little bit more, but unless you can swap things round on one day a week and do some craft in the afternoon for a change, I think the painting will have to wait until she starts to stay awake more, if mum is not that willing to change her routine.

The Juggler
14-02-2011, 10:32 PM
what about getting lo to do some arts and crafts whilst you are preparing lunch so you are sitting together (if you havea table in the kitchen?).