PDA

View Full Version : When parents come to look around, what questions do you ask them?

Toothfairy
14-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I had a family come to see me today regarding childcare.
It all went very well but very quick.
After they left I wondered if I should have asked more questions myself.

They asked me lots of question about my setting, qualifications, routine, fees etc and I answered them all but the only questions I realy asked them was age of the child, what days they needed and what times. The rest of the time it was them asking me questions.

So, what sort of questions do YOU ask the parents?

grindal
14-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I like to know their occupations - I only work term time so it is important that one of them is some sort of school staff, but out of noseyness I like to know what the other parent does!

I also ask where else they have been, have they looked at nurseries or other childminders, what is it they like about childminders, I also ask them what they know about the EYFS - then I can explain either what it is, or how I go about using it here!

Toothfairy
14-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks grindal.
I already knew their occupations, as they put that in their Email to me.
The Mum was a teacher and the EYFS was one of the questions she asked me.

I always feel a bit embarrassed asking which CM's they have already seen. I need to toughen up :D
Thats a good question about why they are choosing a CM over a nursery, I must remember that one for next time :thumbsup:

mufftie
14-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I also ask where else they have been or where they may be going gives me an idea of what I'm up against , I even suggest they view others if they hadn't already as I want them to be happy with their choice
I ask about their jobs and logistics of how they were to handle drop off and pick ups I also ask them if they are happy for me to visit places such as groups etc with their children as if they're not then this could be an issue
The list could go on and it's mostly all dropped into conversation rather than a formal round of questions

curlycathy
14-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Do you drop off on time?
Do you collect on time?
Do you pay on time?
Do you provide your child with appropriate clothing and enough nappies/wipes?

If only I'd had the guts..:laughing: :laughing:

I don't actually think its nosiness to ask about occupations - you will need to know how and where to get hold of parents after all. And even if you work term time they dont have to work in a school - I have friends who dont work in any sort of education and only work term time x

miffy
14-02-2011, 09:57 PM
I make sure I know exactly what days/hours they want, how far they travel to work and their start/finish times (so I can judge if they're likely to drop off/collect on time).

I also ask who else they've been to see, nice to know who the competition is! :D

Miffy xx

singingcactus
15-02-2011, 10:08 AM
I have a list of things I ask or tell them,

Have you been to my website?
What is you Eaddy, so I can send you a copy of my full policies and my holiday dates
My usual hours are 7.30 til 5.30
Parents are to provide nappies, cream, wipes and food.
Payments must be accessible to me by the 10th of the month
I do not work bank holidays
I require permission to take your child in my car or you will be unable to take up a place here.
Do you want to use a daily diary, you will be required to add comments on a fairly regular basis.

Beyond that I just chat for ages lol, about any random thing that comes up :). I like to chat about general things to make sure we have enough in common to build a good relationship.

Mouse
15-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Apart from the obvious, times, days etc I ask:

if they've used childcare before and if they understand how a childminder works

have they been to see other childminders or nurseries (most of the time I already know who they've made appointments with ;) )

if they've thought about back up cover if for any reason I won't be able to work (I stress that it's only happened half a dozen times in 15 years, but it is something they need to consider)

if their child achieves their 'firsts' with me (ie. first step, first word) do they want me to tell them

have they looked into either benefits to help with the cost of childcare, or whether their employer has a voucher scheme

what sort of routine the child has at home, how they settle to sleep, how they like to be got up (ie. as soon as they wake, or do they like to lie a bit before getting up)

if child is on bottles & food, which order do they give them in. Are bottles/food heated or given at room temp