PDA

View Full Version : Planning - how to

Phoenix
14-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I understand the learning journel bit of childminding, but how do you do the planning bit, how does this get written down and where? ALso I have some children with me that are on and as and when basis, how do I in corporate them into the equation and do I still do a learning journal for them, they only attend sometimes twice a month for a couple of hours!!!

sarah707
14-02-2011, 06:11 PM
When you are writing a child's learning journal you will note observations.

From observations you will spot things for the child to do next - that is your individual planning.

If you do group planning you can also include a note of what the child has done in their LJ.

Children who come part time will still have a LJ but it will reflect the limited time they spend with you (be much shorter).

Hth :D

Phoenix
14-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Sorry I am sounding thick but am I right in thinking

You do initial baseline observations, then you can work on following them up with planning activities to take them onto other parts of the eyf

Then group planning for all mindees - is that weekly, daily, monthly?

sarah707
14-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Sorry I am sounding thick but am I right in thinking

You do initial baseline observations, then you can work on following them up with planning activities to take them onto other parts of the eyf

Then group planning for all mindees - is that weekly, daily, monthly?

Yes baseline observations across all 6 areas of L & D.

Yes then follow the obs with ideas for next steps activities...

Jack pushes the bike with his feet ... work with Jack to use pedals

Jane wraps her doll up with a blanket ... Jane might enjoy wrapping presents with paper

I have 7 children on the books aged between 1 and 8 so I do group planning for the over 3s... the little ones can join in if they want.

I tend to plan something for each week / 2 weeks but that is mostly because my older ones get bored quickly so I change things frequently and encourage them to help me plan as that way they engage better.

it's about knowing your children and how they learn / what they enjoy.

Red nose day...

Jack made a red nose to go on the front of his favourite bike - following Jack's interest and extending his learning

Jane made lots of red presents by wrapping stones with paper - following Jane's enveloping schema and including a national event in her planning

All the children wore something red and chose a red snack - group planning to have a 'red day'. The children were involved in deciding what they wanted to do as a group.

How often? Well some weeks I write more than others, it depends on the child and how often I see them and what they have been up to and how much info parents / other settings have given me and the weather and if they are tired and the length of the piece of string...

Hth :D