PDA

View Full Version : Baby walkers

Spangles
20-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I was just wondering on everyone's opinions re. baby walkers.

You know the ones that they 'stand' in with wheels and they push themselves around with their feet?

My son had one and he really, really loved it, we had no problems at all with it apart from when he would whizz into our legs! Ha ha! It made him happy and also gave him a sense of being able to move, upright, independently.

Anyway, I've heard that they're not very popular now and considered unsafe.

What does everyone think? Do you think it's okay to use one with mindees or should I get rid of mine?

This is the one we have ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/baby-walker_W0QQitemZ220223691892QQihZ012QQcategoryZ204 13QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sarah707
20-04-2008, 02:11 PM
They are not popular with Ofsted, child safety experts or child development people... :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/735786.stm

http://www.capt.org.uk/pdfs/factsheet%20baby%20walkers.pdf

charleyfarley
20-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I personally would never use one again that's not to say others shouldn't.

I used one for my son when he was little and it tipped up with him in it, pushing one of his teeth through his lip. Luckily for him there wasn't to much damage to his face but it did scare him and me. I threw it away the next day.

Carol xx

flora
20-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I think, as with all thing you have to use common sense.

I haven't used one for any of my kids until my dd. We have a big sitting room/ dinning room and so she could use it safely without falling down stairs etc. You do have to remember to move anything that they can reach given their extra height and movement capablilties.

I know they say they are bad for kids, delay walking etc etc, Hannah walked at 10 months, so scrub that one. All kids are different, but she loved her's and I have put it away in case I need it in the future.

I would say use it. Show you have thought of the impplications, safety, development etc and then let the kids enjoy. Don't use too young, and don't leave them in it for hours and hours. Not that you would anyway!!!

Twinkles
20-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I've always used them, never had a problem with them , no accidents , no delayed walking.
Babies like to be upright and to be able to see whats going on.

crazybones
20-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I used them for my first 2 and they walked early 9 1/2 months and 10 1/2 months. Never used one for a mindee as I had chucked it out and didnt buy a new one. William didnt use one and he walked at 12 months 1 day :D

Lottie
20-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I personally haven't used one with any of my sons and with the safety risks wouldn't use one with a mindee either.

disney
20-04-2008, 03:10 PM
have used them over the years , but only for my own children and never for mindeed children . both mine seemed to enjoy them & never had any accidents but i never left them alone in one . but they were very popular back then , and were not so many accidents if i had a baby again iwouldnt use one and not for my mindeed children or my grandson , best to be safe than sorry i think :thumbsup: x

miffy
20-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I was given one when my eldest son was a baby but it seemed to take up so much space I never bothered with it - haven't used one since

miffy xx

manjay
20-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I did with my eldest but not with the others and definitely woud not with mindees. I would say that as RoSPA "actively discourages" using them I don't see how I could justify it to CSSIW. But each to their own;)

Chimps Childminding
20-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I used one for my youngest son, but have not used one for mindees. I know one of my first mums had an absolute hatred of them so never broached the subject with any others! My son was fine in his, no accidents apart from the odd bruised ankle (usually mine :D) but then there was usually only him around when he was in it!

Gherkin
20-04-2008, 04:20 PM
At the information evening before registering we were activly discouraged from using them. Apparantly they are not considered to be safe and Ofsted are not kean at all.

Alibali
20-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't use one at home, however I am happy to let them have a go in one at childminding groups etc, best of both worlds. Never used one for my own as we have a family history of bad hips, and mine walked at 9 months, 12 months and 14 months!! They are all so different and will develop at their own pace regardless.

Ali :)

button68
20-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll being ............

My brother (yes my brother so not 'a friend's cousin's daughter', ikwim :rolleyes: ) was 10 months old when he had an accident in one. He was toddlering around in it when the wheel caught on something - to be honest to this day nobody is sure on what - and it toppled. He fell forward right through the glass back door head first :eek: . I was 4 and a half at the time and remember my mum lifting me over the back garden fence to the neighbours and her long hair being covered in blood. I watched the ambulance arrive and take them both off.

My brother sustained horrific head injuries and now aged 38 has a large protruding scar about 2 inches in wide right in the centre of his forehead. The funny thing is because I don't know him without it I don't 'see' it iykwim.

Food for thought eh! :(

Michelle M
20-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I had one for both my children, both were Graco, different ones though. My 2nd daughter toppled out of it not so long ago, she was leaning too far over and fell into the ball pool, the seat just keptpopping out, she whizzed around far too fast in it, she is 13 months old now and still wont flipping walk unless you hold her, I really do think its delayed her walking, I wont have one for minding. :mad:

Spangles
20-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for your replies, I've decided to put it on E-bay!

Rubybubbles
20-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't use one, I don't like them sorry:o

aly
20-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I took my 8mo to the health visitor last week and she discouraged me [although I have never used them].

She said that it puts the wrong kind of pressure on their ankles...

I have never used one and would never use for mindees when I am reg'd.

tulip0803
20-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I have not used them and don't like them, although I know other people who use them and think they are wonderful. In a minding situation I can see there is not only the danger of the baby topping etc but if you have other, older children, they have the temptation of giving the baby a hefty push along which could end up with a toppling/crash situation.:(

manjay
20-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I have not used them and don't like them, although I know other people who use them and think they are wonderful. In a minding situation I can see there is not only the danger of the baby topping etc but if you have other, older children, they have the temptation of giving the baby a hefty push along which could end up with a toppling/crash situation.:(

That would be my ds giving my mindee a hefty push:eek:

LittleMissSparkles
21-04-2008, 06:47 AM
I personally dont like them and didnt have one for my ds but if they are used for short periods of time as they should be and not hours on end then I would think a lo would enjoy ten minutes playing in one xxx

angeldelight
21-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I agree with Susan

Angel xx