PDA

View Full Version : What else can I do

kim-d
13-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi All
I became registered in jan got my certificate jan 17th 2011. I have advertised everywhere on all the free wesite: On here, cm directory, free index, yell.com, childcare.co.uk, touch local, cyclex, uk local, craiglist, liberal estates, free ads, got ads 7 local shop windows, put up cards on lamp post around schools, parks, Salvation army, community centers notice boards. Even asked my local sainsbury and morrisons if they would put my cards up on staff notice boards and also in my local doctors and childrens play places in my area (jungle fun, fun time). I walk around with my t- shirt on advertising my service but so far I have only had 1 phone call and nothing else I'm feeling down about it as I don't know what else to do and I really need some mindees. I am part of a network group but they are not very forthcoming with help or any ideas what else to do they just say" yeah its so hard " I've got some flyers ordered please has anny one got any more ideas. This has been something I have wanted to do for so long ( years) but couldn't commit to it as i looked after my lovely mother in law who had alzheimers and new she would need me more and more as time went on and I don't regret doing it for 1 minute she was a very special lady. I'm at a loss.:(

Johanna
13-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi,

Sounds like you are already advertising everywhere you possibly can. I do hope that you will get mindees soon. Sometimes the wait can be very frustarting especially after all the hard work we put in to get going.

Best of luck.
J

xdirtydancerx
13-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I am really sorry to hear that you are struggling. Unfortunately I can't be of much help as I am finding it difficult to get known myself and I have been registered since July. When I had my first Ofsted visit in January I was told not to expect much until I'd been working for 18months - 2years. Luckily for me I have a part-time job to tide me over. Is this something maybe that you would consider? I want to wish you the best of luck and I'm sending positive vibes your way :thumbsup:

blue bear
13-02-2011, 10:49 PM
What about volunteering your help at a local toddlers or childrens centre, you would be able to show your skills to parents and chat to them about child minding. Do you have any contact with the health visitor on your area.

jane5
13-02-2011, 11:31 PM
wow you have done a lot of advertising, the only thing I have done which is not on your list is signs for your car.
I got a couple off ebay really cheap. I've not had any thing back off them yet but it's worth a try.

Good luck

JulieA
14-02-2011, 07:02 AM
I registered in the September and didn't get any children on my books until the following April.
The best thing that works locally where I live is to get to know the other local childminders. Do they have a drop in session anywhere that you could go to.
What happens here is that we all have a list of local childminders and if we get a call that we can't fill we ask around to see if anyone else has space. Are you also on the local FIS list, so when a parent contacts them for childminders in their area your name will be on the list?

Good luck, hope you fill your spaces soon

miffy
14-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Wow you have been busy advertising, sorry it's not paid off for you yet.

Are there any large employers in your area, like a hospital - you could try advertising there.

Or what advertising as a baby sitter - one way to earn soem money and maybe something will come of it.

Contact your local paper and see if they will print your story.

Get yourself out and about in your neighbourhood - go to the library, toddler and playgroups, the school at home time and hand out leaflets - it is about getting yourself known.

Good luck

Miffy xx

pinkbutterfly
14-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Don't forget mumsnet.com and netmums.com I have 2 mindees from netmums - I answered their adverts. Also if you have paid membership on childcare.co.uk just contact the local parents on there.

Carpet Monkeys
14-02-2011, 09:57 AM
I received my cert in January '10 and didn't actually get any children to mind until September.

Do you have any NCT groups near you? Do they have a Nearly New Sale coming up, great place to advertise if possible!

AliceK
14-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Not sure where abouts in the country you are but I have found the last 4 mths have been really quiet here and I had no enquiries for my vacant space until a couple of weeks ago and things seem to be picking up now. I've had 3 children in total come to me from advertising on Netmums, one from childcare.co.uk and 1 from FIS. I did when I first started out put up notices in shop windows, noticeboards etc but never got anything from that.
Sending you lots of luck that you start getting enquiries soon :thumbsup:

xxxxx

kim-d
14-02-2011, 11:43 AM
wow you have done a lot of advertising, the only thing I have done which is not on your list is signs for your car.
I got a couple off ebay really cheap. I've not had any thing back off them yet but it's worth a try.

Good luck

Yeah have got them aswell from vista print got them on the offer when you just pay for postage but thanks so much.:thumbsup:

kim-d
14-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Wow you have been busy advertising, sorry it's not paid off for you yet.

Are there any large employers in your area, like a hospital - you could try advertising there.

Or what advertising as a baby sitter - one way to earn soem money and maybe something will come of it.

Contact your local paper and see if they will print your story.

Get yourself out and about in your neighbourhood - go to the library, toddler and playgroups, the school at home time and hand out leaflets - it is about getting yourself known.

Good luck

Miffy xx

That's a great idea I will join some toddler groups/ play groups and fingers crossed. Thank you so much for that:thumbsup:

Mrs Pootle
14-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes, definately get to your local playgroup / mums & tots. I have found that word of mouth is my biggest advertisement. All my mindees / enquiries have come from recommendations from people who know me, or had heard I was a childminder. I drop it into conversation with everyone at the local playgroup and in the school playground. I also say a friendly hello to parents in the park, and sometimes manage to mention my job.
Just last week I was telling my hairdresser I was taking on another child after half term, when I lady in the corner piped up that her daughter is pregnant and will be looking for childcare this time next year so could she have my number !:)
Best of luck, I'm sure someone will come along soon.

donnamarie2
14-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Just wanted to say you are not alone , i'm in the same boat i registered last summer and only have 1 afterschooler so far .
It's been deadly quiet round here and even the local minders haven't had any enquiries lately.
Its awful waiting but we just have to hang in there , ive just had an enquiry for a little girl same age as my daughter (18months) so hopefully fingers crossed i will get her .
Good luck x