PDA

View Full Version : traumatic week!

curlycathy
13-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Well this was meant to have been my last week of childminding, only working Tuesday and Wednesday so officially to retire (lol!!) on Wednesday.

Last Sunday I was getting dd ready for her ballet rehearsals for the show at the local theatre running all half term when - I saw chicken pox spots all over her back!!! Contacted gp on monday morning to try and get her appt to confirm it was chickenpox - to be told I wasnt allowed to bring her in to the surgery cos she'd be infectious! I said I wasn't a doctor but thought the spots looked like chickenpox but as I'd been mistaken before I wanted a definite diagnosis. Practice nurse phoned me - and told me she'd record it as a probable chickenpox but couldnt diagnose without actually seeing her!!

Spoke to mindees mum who is having a hard time just having lost a baby - she had to go to hospital on Wednesday for tablets to give birth (sorry don't really know how to word it but its instead of having d and c). She said that A had a heavy cold so wouldnt send him on Tuesday anyway but she absolutely needed me Wednesday - which made me feel awful cos I had to tell her that as long as dd was OK I would, but if she was having a rough ride then I couldn't.

Monday - dd fine, no temperature just spotty. Tuesday - temperature of 40 wouldnt come down no matter what I did. Spoke to dr on phone and ended up rushing her into surgery - he confirmed it as chickenpox and told me to monitor her breathing (she's asthmatic) and if no better in 24 hours to go back and they'd give antibiotics in case of secondary infection. So I had to cancel mindee because as I explained - again - to mum, although I was desperately sorry I couldnt help her especially with her circumstances my dd had to come first and there was no way I could care for her ds. Wednesday - temperature down slightly but really nasty spot on her leg which looked infected to me. She also had a strange red rash appearing.Took her to drs, saw different dr who spent ten minutes telling me about how ill he'd been with chickenpox 2 years ago and refused to give her antibiotics but to see how she went until Friday.

Wednesday night she was screaming in pain but by morning her temp had gone down and she was brighter - although tired. Thursday night temp shot up again and she was wheezy- rang NHS Direct and the dr said she needed antibiotics and I could either go into town to see him (at 3am) or wait until 9 and see my GP. Decided to wait to save getting ds out of bed - he had school - but then couldnt get to see GP until 12 - who examined her thoroughly and then announced she has chicken pox and suspected scarlet fever and to give her antibiotics immediately and if no better in 48 hours to take her to hospital!!!!

I was so mad she hadn't been given antibiotics on the Wednesday and have been so tired cos I'm here by myself as dh is working away. Thankfully she is on the mend now but its not how I envisaged my last week as a childminder going!!!

Sorry for the rant and thank you if you've read this far! This forum is fantastic and I hope I can still come and play now I've officially retired (my friend sent me a retirement card so must be true!!)

Now off to learn golf or something....

onceinabluemoon
13-02-2011, 03:13 PM
OMG your poor dd!

I wish blooming doctors would occasionally listen to the parents of their patients and not just know it all. My oldest DS almost died at 6 months old because 3 different doctors had me pegged as an overanxious mum. (son had bronchial pneumonia!)

Happy retirement :)

RachelE
13-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Wow, what a week you deserve to retire now!!

Your poor dd sounds like she's had a rough week, hope she's on the mend now.

I hope your dh is treating yuo well now he's home too - and letting you put your feet up! ;)

I'm sure mindees Mum knows that you would have had the LO, but you needed to put your dd first - and not let mindee catch anything else too.

Enjoy your retirement!

Rachel x

LOOPYLISA
13-02-2011, 03:32 PM
You poor things :panic:

Don't get me started on drs and nhs :angry:

I caught flu one yr went to docs as i had this awful pain in my pack, she diagnosed bronchitis,i was getting worse, she then came banging on my door knowing she has misdiagnosed with a script for pneumonia !

A week ago i went to the docs wth a uti doc gave me some tabs, back wed as getting no better, he finally sent water sample to hospital and put me on a longer different course of anti b's, still in pain so im back tomorrow to get the results from the sample and put on the RIGHT tabs! i hope

Grrrrr

Mrs Pootle
13-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Grrr what an awful week.

On a brighter note - enjoy your retirement. :)

Allie
13-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Your poor daughter and you, it can only get better

Allie

babs
13-02-2011, 04:41 PM
i do hope ur daughters gets well soon and enjoy ur retirement from childminding

The Juggler
13-02-2011, 05:45 PM
oh honey poor you. talk about going out with a bang - what an eventful week:panic:

i hope your dd is better soon and that you recover:laughing: also hope mindees mum is ok too :)

jane5
13-02-2011, 06:48 PM
poor you:(

good luck with your retirement :)