PDA

View Full Version : Surely this is a scam!!???

emmadines
12-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I just received this and I think this is wishful thinking that its actually a refund.......... Im sure this is a scam (I havent replied)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tax Refund Notification

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity, we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 965.80 GBP. Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 5-7 days in order to process it.

Click the "Refund Me Now" link below and follow the on screen step in order to have us process your request.

Refund Me Now

Note : You will need to provide a valid bank account in which the funds will be payed to. A refund can be delayed for some reasons, for example submitting invalid records or applying after deadline.

Best Regards,
HM Revenue & Customs

Im thinking about notifying the HMRC all the same (just incase they do offer me the £965.50 lol (hummmmm I think not!)

sarah707
12-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes there's a lot of it about at the moment.

If you follow the link and read the very small print you actually authorise them to take that amount out of your account :(

PixiePetal
12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
think it has scam written all over it :rolleyes:

have seen things like it posted before and warnings - delete!

Susana0600
12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
And usually you would get a check as a refund, totally I think it is a scam, be careful ;)

charlie potato
12-02-2011, 10:08 PM
It is a scam. I forwarded on the email to HMRC as they do like them to be passed on to them. They always send you an email back advising you against fraud. HMRC would never ask for bank account info in an email. xx

miffy
12-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes there's a lot of it about at the moment.

If you follow the link and read the very small print you actually authorise them to take that amount out of your account :(

I was reading about this the other day - think there might have been another thread on here.

Miffy xx

sillysausage
12-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Definitely a scam. The inland revenue NEVER contact anyone via email. They always do it via the post. The only email you get is the one that confirms that your online submission has been received and that will arrive very shortly after you've made the submission.

Also you need to bear in mind....if you've filled in your online self assessment you will have known if you were due a refund before you did the final submission.

If anyone receives an email perporting to be from the inland revenue please forward it on to the HMRC scam investigators at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/phishing-emails.htm

Something else I've just thought of... on both the online and paper self assessment forms there is a section where you fill in your bank details should you have a refund. Therefore the Inland revenue shouldn't need to ask seperately for your details anyway.

Graham
13-02-2011, 09:50 AM
As others have said it is definitely a scam they are just trying to get your bank details, there are also phone scams which claim you can get a rebate.

See this link to read about them.

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/scams-and-rip-offs/scams/5358/the-new-tax-refund-scam

As usual if something sounds to good to be true it usually is.

Newbie1!
13-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Twas me that nearly got stung by this one last week :panic: How good is that email though - mine looked so real. Im definitely going for the advice that if it seems too good to be true then it probably is!!!

Cammie Doodle
13-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Mmmm but would'nt it be nice if it was true ? , think of all them toys you could buy :D

Suebb1
13-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Defo a scam, when would the tax office refund, unless you had instigated an enquiry!!!! x