PDA

View Full Version : age and safety

bluechair84
12-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi there

This is my first post. I was a reg cm 7-8yrs ago then went into employment. Now starting process again. Seems to have changed some what! I know the answer to this is probably obvious but I can't remember everything about my first time round.

I am looking to mind older children 3yrs+. As it's still early days I haven't got any safety equipment yet. As I will be seeking only older children to start with do I need to 'cater' for younger ones for ofsted? I don't want to buy things that I may not need, like stair gates which I wouldn't use for that age anyway. In other words does my house NEED to be baby proof even though I'm not looking for that age? Obviously if I did end up minding younger I would certainly get those things.

Thanks!!

amo

Mrs.L.C
12-02-2011, 06:31 PM
You just need to risk assess it.

For example, We dont have locks on the draws and cupboards in the kitchen but have done a risk assessment stating children will not be allowed in the kitchen unsupervised (door closed) and they will be taught not to open the draws/cupboards from a very young age and Ofsted were happy.

jane5
12-02-2011, 07:15 PM
ofsted are happy as long as you say that if you got a baby you would buy any equipment required. As the other poster said show you have risk assessed and they are fine with that.

RachelE
12-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I have small children under 3.

I dont have a stair gate or a fire guard.

I risk assessed these and thought the stair gate to be too dangerous for everyone else and I cant even turn the fire on, so a child wouldnt be able too!

As others have said, as long as you risk assess it, its completely fine.

Good luck, Rachel x

miffy
12-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I also look after children under 3 and I haven't had a fireguard for years - as long as you show you recognise the risk and say what steps you've taken to deal with it then you should be OK

Miffy xx