PDA

View Full Version : help-urgently need a first aid course

tommiitip
12-02-2011, 05:52 PM
hi all, can anyone tell me of a first aid course running appropriate for childminders in portsmouth ideally, but anywhere in surrounding areas in hampshire, and it needs to be ASAP.

mine runs out very soon and have been told that if i cant get on one before it runs out, then i have to stop minding until i have an upto date course completed.

so seriously panic stations.

any help greatly appreciated
helen

flowerpots
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
http://www.safety1st.biz/paediatric-first-aid.html

What about this one hun?

Mrs.L.C
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Contact your local sure start/childrens centre. they often run them

SammyM
12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
How about this...

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-courses/course-search.aspx

Had to sort my own out recently as they aren't run v often - St Johns was just great.

debratina
12-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi
You can always ring ofsted and explain and tell them when the next first aid course is. I had to do this as the early years hadn't put many first aid courses on.

tommiitip
12-02-2011, 06:51 PM
thankyou everyone for the replies,

to flowerpots- thankyou yes had seen that one, will give them bell monday.

to topchick dav- thats good idea, will try that.

to sammyM- yes had seen that website and will phone them monday too.

to debratina- was that recently you told ofsted about it? i have been told by a number of people that ofsted will stop you minding if your training runs out before retaking it.

thanks
helen.

tommiitip
12-02-2011, 06:59 PM
sammyM -how much did you pay for your course with st. johns, if you dont mind me asking?

helen.

Chimps Childminding
12-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Ours runs out in October, but our training schedule only goes up to July. June rang our training team and they cannot guarantee that there will be a course local to us between July and October :rolleyes: (and some days it would be such a rush to get there after work) so we have booked on a local one in June instead. better too early than not be able to get on one in time :panic:

debratina
12-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi it was 2009 I think - on day before the course my friend told me she had a spare ticket to see take that in London with hotel and travel. Guess which won? Lol :)

tommiitip
13-02-2011, 09:43 AM
debratina- oh no competition there , with or without ofsteds threats, take that everytime lol:laughing:

Rubybubbles
13-02-2011, 09:47 AM
you are right, without it you will NOT be able to work.

I would get on one, even if not ran by your early years team, you will be able to do one for Early years still!

Mine runs out in May, but I have just done mine for same reason as Carolyn;)

christine e
13-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Ours runs out in October, but our training schedule only goes up to July. June rang our training team and they cannot guarantee that there will be a course local to us between July and October :rolleyes: (and some days it would be such a rush to get there after work) so we have booked on a local one in June instead. better too early than not be able to get on one in time :panic:

Mine was due to expire in June but always, like Carolyn, look well in advance to see when first aid is available and when I can fit in two Saturdays of training. Finished my two part training yesterday so now ok until Feb 2014.

Cx

loocyloo
13-02-2011, 02:57 PM
hi all, can anyone tell me of a first aid course running appropriate for childminders in portsmouth ideally, but anywhere in surrounding areas in hampshire, and it needs to be ASAP.

mine runs out very soon and have been told that if i cant get on one before it runs out, then i have to stop minding until i have an upto date course completed.

so seriously panic stations.

any help greatly appreciated
helen

helen, have you contacted the ncma office in basingstoke? they have details of courses, i'm sure i got an email about it the other week. i'll pm you the link!

x

SammyM
13-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I think I paid about £80, it was that or wait for 6 months for my local authority, no choice really!!

missymood
13-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi give St John's a ring as mine is o 12th/19th March in Winchester they may have another space on there for you too! I think it was around £100.00 if you have to pay for it though!

Good Luck hun

Ali56
14-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Its definately giving the firstaid course providers in your area a call. Many nurseries etc book private courses and there may be a free space they are happy to sell to you(but you wont see these online). I have done this before, I had a car crash when I had just started mine and couldnt finish. I rang switch our local training provider and they squeezed me on one just down the road from me! I was very chuffed as I still wasn't very mobile so it was perfect. I'm sure if you explain then someone can squeeze you in.
Good Luck:)

spowage
14-02-2011, 10:25 AM
i was told even if it runs out you can still mind but thats only if you have pre booked a first aid course......phone yours early years team they will help you and hope fully send out a voucher to help with the cost .

DAWN44
14-02-2011, 12:16 PM
My first aid course was meant to be this saturday and next saturday.

My certificate runs out on 2nd March. Lady from course just rang and cancelled not enough people on it.

I have phoned ofsted and explained it will be out of date by about 2 weeks. He said this is ok.

I will learn from my mistakes, next time I will book early. :eek:

tommiitip
14-02-2011, 01:23 PM
thankyou all for your help ladies,
have booked course through st john ambulance at a cost of £114 !!!!!! absolutely EVERYWHERE is booked up till july! so had no choice but to pay. was totally my fault so lesson learnt there.

the 2 day course starts the week before my certificate runs out !!!!! talk about cutting it fine oops

many thanks
helen

berkschick
14-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Wow, you lit are lucky getting it free through Early years.

We all have to pay and do ours private round here. Mine just cost me £120!!