PDA

View Full Version : Minding + Having Another Baby + Breastfeeding

Noomie
12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I have been thinking about trying for baby number 2. I would take some time off, maybe a month or two. What would happen with my mindees though? I would want to breastfeed as well but I am thinking that this wouldn't be possible. I do have an assistant that could help this initial period and it would be tough. I would cut back a bit. God, it's just a bit of a mindfield to think about!

What have people done in the past with managing having a baby and minding?

aly
12-02-2011, 02:58 PM
why wouldnt it be possible to breastfeed..?

you are not having them out on show...or i hope now ;)
I bf my daughter til she was 2 a little bit awkward at that age but i managed it...

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I have an 8 week old who needs feeding every 2-3 hrs. just be organised, i bring out a new toy/activity for the lo's to do whilst im feeding they have all learnt that i cant get up and play with them so we either read stories, play word games, (eye spy etc) or leave them be engrossed in an activity, older lo's love to help to.

Nat78
12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I had my second child while minding, had mindees back when she was four weeks old (and she was breast fed in the day to five months). It was never an issue. I discussed it with parents, who were all fine, and then got quite activities, stories, etc out so I could still interact with children while feeding. Having a new baby their was great, the mindees loved it and lots of learning opportunities came from it as well.

Noomie
12-02-2011, 05:42 PM
I have an assistant so that can help loads with the interaction while I am breastfeeding. Definitely can get some quiet activities out for that time. Glad to know that people think breastfeeding is possible. How did parents react with maternity leave? What are the options for them?

Mrs.L.C
12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I am hoping to breastfeed and hope it wont be too much of a problem.

All my parents are fine with me taking 2 months maternity and I have given them names of other childminders I know who may be able to cover. Some childminders have had to apply for a variation to have them though so plan way a head.

pinkbutterfly
13-02-2011, 01:08 AM
My son is 17 months old and I still breastfeed him (not that he really needs it but I like it and so does he). We just look at some books while I breastfeed.

loupo
13-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Hi Noomie

I wouldn't worry at all. I have to admit that I have only just registered and have no experience of breastfeeding while minding but I have five children and all were breastfed. The advantage to breastfeeding is that it pins you to the spot where often we'd be rushing around. I found that my children used to enjoy my breastfeeding time to sit and talk to me, we'd read books, talk or I'd ask them to show me toys or sit verbally guiding them through activities. It's a positive rather than a negative thing and I'm sure you'd do great.

Lou

Noomie
13-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Feeling much more confident about it all now. Thank you all for your supportive comments and strategies on best ways to manage it all.