PDA

View Full Version : hearing impaired key worker

bellacat
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
A friend of mine has a little boy of 6 months. She has told me that his key worker is hearing impaired and her speech is slightly affected, sounds a bit muffly. She has asked me if i think this may cause problems for her sons speech development. It shouldn't do, but i understand where she is coming from so i thought i would ask all you lovely ladies. :)

sarah707
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I can totally understand your friend's concerns because she is putting her child first as parents do.

however you can reassure her that her child will be hearing speech from many different sources including family, friends, key worker, childminder, other pre-school workers, other children, shopkeepers, television, radio, people from other countries or with different accents etc and will learn by combining all the sounds together.

He might come out with funny little words... like I call it a plaster (flat a) and a southern family I used to mind for were horrified when their child copied me and they of course wanted her to have a posh a... but that's just children experimenting with sounds.

Hth :D

pinkbutterfly
13-02-2011, 01:16 AM
I second Sarah. I'm in a sort of similar situation since I am foreign and have an accent but my own children don't copy it even though they spend most of their time with me. I even asked my 7yo if she noticed I pronounce everything in a slightly different way ... she said she didn't notice ...

bellacat
13-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys, i will put her mind at rest. XX

keeks
13-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree with Sarah and Pinkbutterfly.

I'm down South and one of our little boys has a dad who is from up north. The boy says bath etc with a short a like his dad even though he has never even lived there himself, and his mum and everyone around him has a southern accent.

Also I have got a slight accent and none of the children I taught in the nursery ever copied me. I wouldn't worry at all.

xx