PDA

View Full Version : doctors fees!!!

cara1976
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
hi all, just been to my docs to get him to fill in my last part of my medical form was expecting some where between £20-£80 for this service. nearly fell off my chair when i have just been quoted..........£130!! :mad: :mad:

sarah707
12-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Ouch! That's higher than average.

I would ask them to justify that amount :(

miffy
12-02-2011, 04:39 PM
That's awful!

I don't see how they could justify that amount - daylight robbery!

Miffy xx

Mookins
12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
i was given a bill for mine for around the same :angry:
so i kickec up a stink and it got changed to about £24

xxx

Lorraine B
12-02-2011, 06:15 PM
OMG thats awful ! mine only charged £15 thank god
Hope you can get this reduced somehow

lorraine xxx

Goatgirl
12-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi ,
That is extortionate! I'd make an appointment to speak to the practise manager asap. Look for old threads on here - I'm sure people have successfully argued this before :thumbsup: Can't remember the details though :rolleyes:

Good luck. :)

funemnx
12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
My neice is registering and we were told by the Development Officer that she will be refunded the cost - hope they do that in your area, worth asking!

Susana0600
12-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Hhmmmm that it is such a expensive one, I thought that would cost to me around £90, because we been told this in Chip course, but, I habe been yesterday at my GP and she said that usually this are very expensive but because there is not much to fill on it (I am not often to the GP) will do it for £30, :laughing: what a relief :)
The pity is that we can not avoid making these expenses because they are mandatory :(

Happy Gardener
12-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Mine was £10. Good luck with trying to get it changed!

cara1976
12-02-2011, 10:46 PM
thank you all for your advice i am off to see practise manager first thing monday morning and kick up a fuss!! i wouldnt mind if i am at the docs every week but the last time i needed to go was when i was pregnant- 3 years ago and have no medical problems past or present!! he only needs to tick a couple of boxes and sign it, will let you know how i get on xxxx

mrs_scottydog
12-02-2011, 11:21 PM
We were told at the pre reg evening that it could be anything up to £125 as all doctors are different. Luckily mine was only £30. Hope you manage to get yours reduced. Hx

Twinkles
13-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Just a word of caution. If you do pay that much , send it recorded delivery when you post it off to OFSTED.

My DH paid £30 for his last year but OFSTED lost it and we had to pay to get it done again !

Milli147
13-02-2011, 09:38 AM
They are taking the :censored: Definately ask them to justify the cost, I am sure you will get it reduced. Mine was £30 and I thought that was enough! Good luck!

cara1976
13-02-2011, 10:26 AM
i have just been having a look on past threads on here about the same thing and have been directed to a link to the british medical it says (and i have printed it off) that a standard fee is £87.50 still high but a lot better than i was quoted:clapping: that print out will be coming with me in the morning x

jane5
13-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Wow mine was £20

SJ35
13-02-2011, 09:24 PM
i've got to pay £15 for mine, feel quite lucky now after reading some of these replies!
Good luck

Stace

missymood
13-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi mine was £25! I would also ask them to justify their costs as you are just starting out and there is so much to pay for in the beginning. I think this is so unfair:(

madwoman
15-02-2011, 05:15 PM
WOW, my cost £86 and i thought that was expensive, i would definitely ask how come it costs so much.

Good luck with it hun

sleepingbeauty
21-02-2011, 02:21 PM
£130 :eek: How can they justify that?

Unbelievable! Mine was £20.

How did it go? Any luck?

My CSO from the council has taken my receipt to get it refunded, the max they will refund here is £65. Check with your council if you can get some back, I think they are all different though unfortunately.

cara1976
24-02-2011, 02:51 PM
thank you all so much for the advice, i made an appointment with the practise manager to ask how they can possibly justify that much for a couple of ticks and a signature, she explained that she didnt realise thats all it was, she thought it would be the same as a hgv medical with a physical and charged me £20 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: over the moon is an understatement! if i had just left it with them and paid the first price i would have been none the wiser, im so glad i questioned it, thanks again everyone xxxxx

mrs_scottydog
24-02-2011, 04:57 PM
thank you all so much for the advice, i made an appointment with the practise manager to ask how they can possibly justify that much for a couple of ticks and a signature, she explained that she didnt realise thats all it was, she thought it would be the same as a hgv medical with a physical and charged me £20 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: over the moon is an understatement! if i had just left it with them and paid the first price i would have been none the wiser, im so glad i questioned it, thanks again everyone xxxxx

That's much more reasonable! So glad you went back and questioned the original price. :) Hx

littledaisies
22-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Hi, that's disgraceful!

My GP didn't even charge me.... do not pay up for that!

Blackcat
22-03-2011, 01:06 PM
If you go onto the british medical website they have set a cap on the fees that can be charged
Childminders

31 March 2009

Childminders

The responsibility for the regulation of childminding and day care for children under eight transferred from local authorities to the Office for Standards in Education (OFSTED) from 2001. In order for people to be registered as childminders OFSTED must check on their suitability. The GP fee for the completion of the required form will be paid either by the intended childminder, the person in charge or the employer. OFSTED is not responsible for paying this fee.

Effective date: 1 April 2009

Completion of childminder health form: £87.50

Note: This fee is paid by the childminder, person in charge, or employer.

Kezzle
22-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I need to get mine done when i have the spare cash. I just rang up to see if they could tell me a price to fill in a couple of pages and they said £15-£25 i hope it stays at that when i go down there with it.

helengreen13
22-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Mine was £120 and I challenged my Doctors Practice Manager but he would not budge. Sent it in with a cheque for the full £120 and the nurse rang me up to say could i write out another cheque for £15 and take it to her. I did and she ripped up the old cheque and said the doctors thought it was far too much and would do it in his lunch hour for £15. Funny how things work out as I now have his son as one of my mindees. (I often wonder if he had this in mind when he did it privately or if he is genuinely a nice guy).

Good luck with getting it changed.

Helen x

theonebeachbum
23-03-2011, 04:37 PM
My surgery have just told me it's £83 and say that they havent set that figure, its provided to them as a price by the Government.. that can't be true surely? Do you think theyve got the wrong end of the stick about what I need, afterall it is only a few ticks (which lets face it is probably done by the medical secretary and not the gp!) and a signature from the GP..

Kezzle
25-03-2011, 03:58 PM
There is a weblink around here probably on the first page of this thread which states the set amount doctors are allowed to charge up to for the form to be filled in and it is around £80 +. Some however will try to charge you more or be fairer and charge less. If they charge more than whats stated look for the link and show it to them.

EDIT: http://www.bma.org.uk/employmentandcontracts/fees/mafees.jsp?page=7 i went looking for the link. It's actually £87.50 they can charge up to.

Louise317
25-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I was scared when I went to get mine done website said £96, but doctor charged £20 in the end.

I did have this printed out just in case... which says they can't charge more than £87.50

http://www.bma.org.uk/employmentandcontracts/fees/mafees.jsp?page=7&media=print

if it helps anyone else :)

michellemiller
26-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Thats brillant,i was charged £25 and i was with him when he did it, took two minutes! and i wont get that back as our council are not funding childminders at the moment! :mad:

ryanna
27-03-2011, 12:13 AM
I had the same with mine. My jaw hit the floor when they said £87.50 and when I questioned it they said 'yes but you'll get that back from your employer won't you' Told them no! We can only claim back £25 towards it, and she just said 'oh ok, will just charge you that then'!

I think they try their luck and hope we won't argue tbh!

Kezzle
01-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I argue everything when it comes down to big companies and people that are paid lots to do a job.

If i book an appointment to get it filled in do you think dr will be annoyed? It's just i need to see my medical file to answer some of my own and when i asked for a phone consultation they booked me in for 2.55 and i got a phone call when i was in the middle of teaching a group at school at around 2.35 so i wasn't prepared.

Flisspaps
01-04-2011, 09:53 AM
My doctors surgery wanted to charge me £87.50, and the receptionsit actually said said 'well, you get it paid for don't you?' and seemed surprised that it had to come out of my pocket and then could be claimed back as part of the start-up grant I had, but that it would then deny the children of £87.50 worth of resources!

I ended up changing doctors - the one nearer my house only wanted £35 to do it, and the receptionist was fab, ringing me up to advise me that there was something on my notes that she had to tell Ofsted about that, when I wasn't even aware that it was on there as it wasn't something the doctor had followed up!

HMT81
01-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Wow I can't believe the price some doctors are charging! :eek: I feel very lucky indeed, mine was free! :o

Kezzle
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
The receptionist was fab, ringing me up to advise me that there was something on my notes that she had to tell Ofsted about that, when I wasn't even aware that it was on there as it wasn't something the doctor had followed up!

This is exactly why i want an appointment and to see whats on my file just in case. I don't want any suprises and i don't trust them to be as good for me as they were for you and let me know in advance.

Have ofsted been known not to grant registration for any medical problems before? I'm healthy and good at the moment but there may be previous entries that are irrelevant now they may deliberate? I don't even remember seeing like a time frame of dates to include so that you can tell when things are no longer a problem.

theonebeachbum
05-04-2011, 03:42 PM
My surgery have just told me it's £83 and say that they havent set that figure, its provided to them as a price by the Government.. that can't be true surely? Do you think theyve got the wrong end of the stick about what I need, afterall it is only a few ticks (which lets face it is probably done by the medical secretary and not the gp!) and a signature from the GP..

I'm very pleased to say that I went for a chat with the medical secretary, I mentioned I wasnt happy with the cost.. lo and behold she rings today to say the form is complete, and my GP agreed it was too much and I've been charged £36 !!
Well worth having a chat with them!!

shelbybla
06-04-2011, 09:40 AM
wow, just been to get my health form, cost me a whopping £5. lol, had read how much everyone was charged and very suprised when the prctice manager told me. :)

shar2807
06-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I was told it will be £50 and nearly fell off my chair!!! I am defo going to challenge this with the practice manager!! My friend has just had hers for £10
Soooooooooooo Annoying gggggrrrrrrrrrrrr:angry: