PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Breastfeeding

bexcee
11-02-2011, 12:22 PM
If you had a little one starting with you that is still breastfed how would you support the mum to continue to breastfeed when she returns to work?

Got a question for my nvq to do and other than providing a place (ie in the fridge) to store the expressed breast milk I can't think of any other ways I could support her. :blush:

Any thoughts? :idea:

Louise0208
11-02-2011, 12:24 PM
ask mum to put a blankie in her bed with her when she sleeps so baby has the scent of mum when he feeds :thumbsup:

gigglinggoblin
11-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Have a quiet place she can feed at drop off or pick up incase she has a long ish journey to/from you - I remember how painful it can be when you havent fed for a few hours!

Stormy
11-02-2011, 12:36 PM
One of my mums used to express at work, they had an allocated area to do this, she would then drop the milk off at pick up time ....
This helped to build a stock some I would freeze.
Support mum in finding out about expressing opportunties in her work place.

Mouse
11-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I used to have one mum who would come & feed her baby at lunchtime. I don't usually encourage parents to visit during the day, but it was really nice to sit & have a chat with her while she fed mindee.

bexcee
11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks ladies, some great ideas there :clapping:

Tinglesnark
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
i was going to say also, to make a daily appointment where mum can come to you or you could meet her for coffee (where possible just some ideas) so that she could nurse her baby. I just used this example on my own assignment because it would be a deal maker for me if i needed a childminder and she offered to allow me to meet her and nurse my baby. It isn't the "norm" is it? most mums wean totally before returning to work and i know a lot of them find that traumatic in itself so supporting a mum to continue bf would be amazing. Her breast milk would soon regulate itself to letting down at the appointed time so she would soon be free from engorgement :thumbsup: think it takes a week to 10 days
x good luck x

JulieA
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I have this at the moment. Mum has her own drawer in my freezer where she puts any breast milk she has expressed. It is all dated so that I can use it on a rotational basis. I let her know if I am running low. She also drops off, and feeds before she leaves (on sofa in lounge with a cuppa and the morning tv) and again when she collects. Whilst she is feeding I encourage the others to play in the playroom so she has privacy, although she is also breastfeeding counsellor and is quite happy for the children to watch! We had a chat about what I could do to support her before the baby was born (her older son is also with me) and this is the plan we put together. Actually forgot to mention that she brings a muslin in from home each day with her smell on it and I use this draped over my shoulder at feeding time (not for mopping up!).