PDA

View Full Version : minding teachers children

levason
11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Hiya!

I have a parent coming to see me on Monday who is a full time teacher at a private school, Im assuming she will be looking for term time only care, if so do you tend to charge a retainer during holidays?xx

Angela234
11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi i have had teachers children they have always been happy to pay half fee's in the holidays, i didn't charge them for any weeks during this time i had as holidays.

I found with private schools they have a lot more holidays

I know another minder who charges a slightly higher rate during term time and nothing in the holidays

Good luck with this

jellytot
11-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I would say yes, admitingly though I do have a teachers child and they are only charged term time but that is now seen as a lesson learnt. I would charge half fees over the hols.

grindal
11-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I charge an increased fee during term time that pretty much equates to half fees during the holidays. Dont forget if you are charging a retainer technically you should be available to work.

Check term dates too - some independant school run a lot less than the standard 39 week year.

Adiamond
11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I look after a teachers child and I charge half fee for school holidays. I worked out how many weeks term time there are x my hourly fee, then worked out the school hols x half my hourly fee added them together divided the total by 52 (weeks) this gives you a weekly amount and this is what my parent pays me every week wether it's term time or not :thumbsup:

bexcee
11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Yep 50% of fees payable in school holidays as a retainer for the space for the term time.

If there use any time in the school holidays then of course they pay the full fee.

I love term time only contracts :clapping:

Mrs Pootle
11-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi, I look after a teachers child and I don't charge for school hols.

The reason for this is that I don't want to work the school hols as I like that time with my own children. If I wanted to work school hols, I would definitely charge a half fee to keep the space open. I think most people expect to be charged, I know the teacher I have was surprised I didn't charge until I explained I wasn't available for work.

Mouse
11-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I have one parent who is a teacher. She brings mindee all year round, even in the hols (only 2 days a week).

The Juggler
11-02-2011, 01:19 PM
i have lots of teachers and school staff and don't charge a retainer as I prefer not to work.

BUT beware if she is a private school teacher she will have longer holidays than state schools and dates will be different more than likely.

Whether you offer a completely t-time contract OR 1/2 fee retainer for the school holidays tell her this ONLY applies for state school holidays (13 weeks) and the dates will be in line with local state schools.:thumbsup:

Cammie Doodle
12-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I have minded for a teacher for years and when she came to me she told me that she was willing to pay half in holidays (this is what she did with her previous minder, before she changed her job to a school by me) Im now just about to start work for another Teacher (of a private college )who is NOT off during school holidays, so I would check with the Parent before I made any decisions on what / how to charge

Twinkles
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I have worked for a lot of teachers over the years and have always charged 50% for the holidays.

Even if I take my holiday during that time I still charge them 50% and it's never been a problem.

balijay
12-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi I have the children of 2 teachers and about to start with a third - I actually don't charge a retainer as I tend to have quite a few older children during the school holidays (or I can have the time off with my own kids) so it works itself out. This has suited me so far :)

Toothfairy
12-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Hiya
All my families are teachers at the moment, so I only work term time.
I charge full fees for term time and half fees in the holidays.

I calculate my monthly fee by;

The amount of hours charged at full fees per year added to the amount of hours charged at half fees per year (I go from Sept 1st - August 31st).
I then devide the total by 12 and this gives me my monthly fee for each family ( I don't include my holidays).
If for some reason I can't work ie. sickness or family day then I refund them in cash at the end of the month.

This means I get paid the same amount each month whether its term time or school holidays.
My parents like the way I charge too as they know exactly what they are paying each month.

I'm not saying this is the best way to charge as everyone does things differently but this method works for me.

HTH :thumbsup:

Saranotts
12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
I have one parent who is a teacher. She brings mindee all year round, even in the hols (only 2 days a week).

I'm the same, little one is 2 and he still comes in the hols and sometimes his sister comes too, so mum can get on with prep for the new term etc.

Sara

pillows
12-02-2011, 04:34 PM
hi well guess we all find a way that works best for ourselves :) so here is how i do it .....
i don't charge for school holidays, but i multiply their weekly amount by 39 wks which is what teachers work ,and then i divide by 12 this gives me the same monthly amount school hols or no school hols . it then also gives me the chance of taking on a couple of children that dont normally come on those days due to being at pre school but they close in hols .
by charging a retainer i wouldn't be able to do this so it works for the teachers and it works for myself . good luck with whatever you choose :) :) :)

mushpea
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I dont charge for the holidays of term time only children nor do i charge a highter rate than normal,,I take them on knowing that they are term time only and am happy to do this as it means i can fit the holdiay children in the zafira to go out and about ,, if i had all the children (8 most days) we would be stuck in all hols so this suits me.

nokidshere
13-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I look after a teachers child and I charge half fee for school holidays. I worked out how many weeks term time there are x my hourly fee, then worked out the school hols x half my hourly fee added them together divided the total by 52 (weeks) this gives you a weekly amount and this is what my parent pays me every week wether it's term time or not :thumbsup:

Thats exactly what I do for all my parents - whatever their job :D

auntym
13-02-2011, 11:51 AM
i to charge full fee for 39 wks and half fee for remaining 13 wks and add together and divide by 12 and get the same amount every month.
have done that for same teacher for over 8 yrs now and works great, just taken on another term time child as well and she had accepted the same