PDA

View Full Version : I really need some children!

DAWN44
11-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I am so down in the dumps today. I am newly registered and am just hardly getting any enquiries.

I have been looking after a adhoc mindee, mum uses me occasionally, but at least it was a bit of money and lovely child.

Mum came in yesterday and casually mentioned she was moving today. ( friday ) I assumed it was local cos she hadnt mentioned it. But no it is miles away.

Know i am being silly but quite upset mum hadnt mentioned this before, so I am looking after child today and then I assume thats it.

She is quite a laid back mum and said " I will still use you sometimes ", but I cant see that happening.

We are really struggling financially and now it will be back to nothing.:(

Sorry for being so miserable x

xdirtydancerx
11-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I know how you feel. I have been registered since July and it started well but I've only ever had children temporarily (as the more well known childminders in the area couldn't take these on). I've had one enquiry in months and it was too far away for me to do the school pick-up. I was really worried but Mrs O told me it can take up to 2 years to get yourself known.

I'm sorry I can't offer any pearls of wisdom but I would like to wish you the best of luck. Coudl you find yourself a part-time temp job maybe until something comes along?

Susana0600
11-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I an very sorry to heard that, maybe you should advertise more you know in the nearby schools, health centre, window shopping, library, etc
I am very sad about it's happening to you as soon I will in the same situation, I mean starting with childminding and expecting children to came soon, but, keep the hope up I am very sure something will come up soon :)

Straws
11-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Think a few of us are in same boat, I have still not replaced children I lost in September when they started full time school. Not having any phone calls either, done all the advertising I can think of, if things dont pick up soon I will have to look for a full time job.

Straws x

DAWN44
11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I am just disappointed, I had an enquiry the other day which is 2 mornings 10 til 1 ( only 6 hours a week) for a 10 month old.

When i told a couple of local minders they laughed and said they wouldnt bother.

The problem is I know its not great, but at least its something. I will tell her if i get full time under a year enquiry, i would have to let her go.

would you do this. The other minders have been doing it years and always have kids, I just think I may as well do it for now.

Just losing hope at moment. x

Goatgirl
11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
HI :),
Yes definitely do it - all mine are part timers and by the sound of the other childminders' approach you could find you've tapped into a niche in your local market :D
one benefit of having part timers is that as you fill up, you may be able to juggle some free time out of your week. I have 9 children on my books and work 7.30 to 5.30 monday tuesday and thursday. Just 7.30 till 9 and 3 til 5.30 on Weds and only 7.30 till 9 on Friday morning!

I love this way of doing things - no idea how anyone copes with fulltime hours plus paperwork, plus life! :eek:

Once you have extra little ones to take to groups etc, and people notice how good you are with them, you'll stand more chance of getting enquiries. there's no need to put the parent off by saying you'll have to give notice now. If you need to in the future, deal with that then...:)

Try and see it as a positive :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

DAWN44
11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you, nice to know you have lots of part timers and it can work.

I know the other childminders in the area are doing well, but sometimes, i feel its a little insensitive when others are struggling.

Not sure what contract to do if i take this one on, would you do a flexible contract, with no notice required.

I was only going to charge the hourly rate , nothing more than that.

Dont want to really , have a notice period in it , incase something more worthwhile comes up.

I know that sounds harsh, but its because its my under 1 place. x

Mrs Pootle
11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd definately take the part time work. :)

If the child is 10 months then it's only going to be two months before they are 1 and so will no longer be taking your baby space. I'd be tempted to do a full contract and hope that if another baby enquiry comes along that by the time they've vistied etc & sorted start dates the 10 month old will have had their 1st birthday and you can say yes to a new parent.

Goatgirl
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi :),

Personally I do a 4 week notice period for all contracts. This protects me as well as the parents, and take payments 4 weekly and in advance. I usually build in a 4 week settling in period too though, which means I can get out of the contract, as can the parent, before a notice period is required. You could do a longer settling in period perhaps?. Its really up to you. A balance between what suits you and what wont scare the parent off! 2 mornings is better than nothing :cool:

When would the lo start? If she is 10 months now, it wont be long until your under one space is free again anyway...?

In terms of charges, you could charge per session as the baby is taking up 2 mornings... or maybe set a minimum of 4 or 5 hours for a day.

Hope you sort something out that suits :)

xdirtydancerx
11-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I am just disappointed, I had an enquiry the other day which is 2 mornings 10 til 1 ( only 6 hours a week) for a 10 month old.

When i told a couple of local minders they laughed and said they wouldnt bother.

The problem is I know its not great, but at least its something. I will tell her if i get full time under a year enquiry, i would have to let her go.

would you do this. The other minders have been doing it years and always have kids, I just think I may as well do it for now.

That's supportive of them :rolleyes:

I would take mindee on. It's a starting point :thumbsup:

The Juggler
11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your replies.

hon if something like this comes up I'd always speak to the parent. Tell them you can do it but you need a min. session of 5 hours (whatever suits you). They may be prepared to pay it. Start at 5 if she sounds wary, maybe suggest 4 but it will be at a higher hourly rate;) Other minders might not consider it if they are full but that doesn't mean it won't suit you. If you have young children you migth actually appreciate an earlier finish anyway:)

How many spaces do you have = just the one? If you have another space you won't even need to give her notice if a full timer comes along.

Meantime, speak to local children's centre manager. tell her you are struggling and ask if she'll pass your number on to any mums attending the cc sessions with her/him.

DAWN44
11-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I have 3 older children, youngest is 9 years.

I have maximum spaces, I was just concerned that if I do a proper contract with this one and then a couple of days later I get enquiry for full time under 1. I would have to work 4 weeks notice. which might put someone off.

All my vacancies are free at moment. But looking at above advice I could do 4 week settling in session. Then the child would be 11 months.

I wouldnt have any worries if child was over a year.

I probably am worrying about nothing because, may not even get any enquiries for that age group.

Also I made a mistake, because I have already told lady my charges . I said £5 an hour , ( going rate is 4) . So she already knows it is £15 per morning.

I am probably naive at moment. Just maybe too eager to please because desparate for work.
x

The Juggler
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I have 3 older children, youngest is 9 years.

I have maximum spaces, I was just concerned that if I do a proper contract with this one and then a couple of days later I get enquiry for full time under 1. I would have to work 4 weeks notice. which might put someone off.

All my vacancies are free at moment. But looking at above advice I could do 4 week settling in session. Then the child would be 11 months.

I wouldnt have any worries if child was over a year.

I probably am worrying about nothing because, may not even get any enquiries for that age group.

Also I made a mistake, because I have already told lady my charges . I said £5 an hour , ( going rate is 4) . So she already knows it is £15 per morning.

I am probably naive at moment. Just maybe too eager to please because desparate for work.
x

if all your children are over 8 hon then you have 3 spaces so take this one on. Give her min. hours contract. If 2 more enquiries for full time come along you can take them on too. As flora said, this baby if you take it on will be a year in just 2 months. Worst case scenario a new enquiry comes along a week later but that is unlikely if it's quiet. Tell any new enquiry parents that you can offer 3 days now or they can wait x number of weeks (whenever he is one). IF they really couldn't wait then yes I might consider giving notice to the first mum but I think I'd investigage a variation with ofsted first. Take the work hon if you need the money.:)

The Juggler
11-02-2011, 01:41 PM

x

doesn't matter hon. It is £5/hour just you forgot to tell her there was a min. session fee of 5 hours;)

DAWN44
11-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Thank you for your help.

I feel much better now . I will let mum come Monday and we will discuss it then.

I really appreciate your advice.

Dawn x:)

kel1983
11-02-2011, 04:57 PM
The 2 mindees i have are part timers.
1 is mon-wed 9-4
1 is mon 1.30-4.30 and fri 1.30-6

I get thursdays off to catch up on the housework and paper work (yeah right :laughing: :laughing: )

Its a bit of a pain getting everything out on a friday though as its just 3 hours in the afternoon. But the money is all good.

charlie potato
11-02-2011, 08:15 PM
I only have 2 after schoolees and have been active since september. I've now started selling aloe vera products for Forever as a bit of extra income and because i do actually believe in the products. Hang in there i'm sure it will happen for us all. xx

Ripeberry
11-02-2011, 09:46 PM
HI :),
Yes definitely do it - all mine are part timers and by the sound of the other childminders' approach you could find you've tapped into a niche in your local market :D
one benefit of having part timers is that as you fill up, you may be able to juggle some free time out of your week. I have 9 children on my books and work 7.30 to 5.30 monday tuesday and thursday. Just 7.30 till 9 and 3 til 5.30 on Weds and only 7.30 till 9 on Friday morning!

I love this way of doing things - no idea how anyone copes with fulltime hours plus paperwork, plus life! :eek:

Once you have extra little ones to take to groups etc, and people notice how good you are with them, you'll stand more chance of getting enquiries. there's no need to put the parent off by saying you'll have to give notice now. If you need to in the future, deal with that then...:)

Try and see it as a positive :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

I have 4 part-timers on my books and work 5 days a week now, even though one day is only 4 hours. They are spread out and some of the kids never meet each other. But it suits me as I have time to do things with my own kids and then can then have their friends over in the afternoons :thumbsup:

jane5
11-02-2011, 11:25 PM
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! (omg I sound like my mother :blush: )

I have my dd taking an under 5 place, My nephew (on family rates)
taking 4 days and have just started a mindee 2 full days.

After taking the 2 days I have had enquiries for full time mon - fri from 3 parents :eek: and had to turn them away because I haven't got the space.

I did think, have I made a mistake but just because I had the enquiries doesn't mean they would have signed the contract and the mindee I have is near my dd's age and she loves him being here, where as the full time enquiries were babies so I feel that it may not be as much money but she is happier.

I would take the part timer as it will get you out and about and people will see how good you are with him/her and word of mouth may get you some more work.
Don't sit and wait for the perfect contract because it may never come.
Wishing you good luck:thumbsup:

marnieb
12-02-2011, 07:36 AM
All my mindees are part-timers too, all doing 2 or 3 days a week.

As for advertsising, are there any nurseries local to you?? It's worth leaving your phone number with them, as sometimes they have enquiries they can't help with, and the parent might not have thought of a childminder. I have got 2 mindees this way!!!!!

DAWN44
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I can't believe how many replies I have:blush:

I am so grateful for all your help, I will put some adverts up on Monday.

I will go to childrens centre, baby clinic etc.

You are all right, I need to take this part timer on ( if she wants me ).

I didnt realise so many of you had part time children and it works well.

I love this forum , you are all so kind.

have a great weekend
Dawn x

balijay
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit more positive. I work full time and all my children are part time - have never had an enquiry for a full timer!!

Libby08
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Not much help to you i know but i am in the same boat! I have a little boy starting this week just as and when needed while his mum finds a job! She has said she will then want full time but i cant wait for this as who knows how long it could take her to find a job! I only have him for one day this week to start with then who knows what they will need me for! I have no other children signed up but have parents visiting on Friday but don't want to start till July!

Its really hard as we have put so much into this and just want to work, we are finding it really tough getting by on one wage too as it is and we are getting married in June so really feeling the pressure at the moment!
I know it doesn't help your situation but just so you know your not the only one feeling like this!

If i were you i'd take any work and wouldn't bother with the other minders as they dont sound like they are being very supportive! Good luck x

munch149
12-02-2011, 01:33 PM
I would jump at the chance of a part time child. I currently have one child and working 40 hours a week at £4 an hour. obviously im grateful to have this as its money coming in but i am working for less than minimum wage at the mo so any part timer that will bring some of my hourly fees up would be much appreciated. I am newly registered and was lucky to get a full timer i have heard it is quite rare and lots of parents want part time so i would go for it. put her on a normal contract. I dont think it is fair to get rid of her if something better comes up and its only 2 months until she is one. just advertise telling people under ones can start from a set date or if need be apply for 2 under ones for 2 months like i did when i had another enquiry (not been granted yet tho still waiting). just think when your next child comes along if they want similar hours or full time, your income could double or more.

DAWN44
12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Libby,

hopefully the mum will find a job quickly and then it will be more hours.

That is why I want to be a bit flexible when others won't incase it leads to more hours.

I am in the same position as you, its so hard isn't it when you have done so much to get registered and then there is no work.

Financially it is a struggle. I have to pay £95 for a first aid course this week ( due to expire in march ). My development officer also said i have to do a homebased childcare course, this is £200 ish . I have told her until I start earning I cannot do this at present. ( my area have no funding and no icp course).

Hope we both get some children very soon. Good luck
Dawn x

The Juggler
12-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Libby,

hopefully the mum will find a job quickly and then it will be more hours.

That is why I want to be a bit flexible when others won't incase it leads to more hours.

I am in the same position as you, its so hard isn't it when you have done so much to get registered and then there is no work.

Financially it is a struggle. I have to pay £95 for a first aid course this week ( due to expire in march ). My development officer also said i have to do a homebased childcare course, this is £200 ish . I have told her until I start earning I cannot do this at present. ( my area have no funding and no icp course).

Hope we both get some children very soon. Good luck
Dawn x

I would ring your DO hon and ask to speak with the training/funding manager. there is funding available for Level 3's in most places. Tell her your keen to do the Level 3 in the future but you can't do this until you've completed your ICP obviously. ;) Also it's the end of the financial year and they may be more flexible about the funding, they usually need to use it up or lose it in the next year. Def. worth a try hon:thumbsup:

DAWN44
12-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Hi Juggler,

I will give her a call, because there was no icp course before registering , I have to do a homebased childcare course. I have my nvq level 3, but she said I still need to do it.

When I asked a few weeks back she said there was no funding , that I have to do it within 6 months of registering. She said I can use my tesco clubcard vouchers with one of the organisations that runs the course. ( havent got that many).

She said because I have been doing lots of courses etc and worked in pre school long time, I should finish it in a week.

The Juggler
12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi Juggler,

I will give her a call, because there was no icp course before registering , I have to do a homebased childcare course. I have my nvq level 3, but she said I still need to do it.

When I asked a few weeks back she said there was no funding , that I have to do it within 6 months of registering. She said I can use my tesco clubcard vouchers with one of the organisations that runs the course. ( havent got that many).

She said because I have been doing lots of courses etc and worked in pre school long time, I should finish it in a week.

oh yes, they may not let you have it if you already have level 3. However, they are committed to meet childcare requirements (sufficiency) in your area and if they cannot provide the training you cannot work (is that right). Therefore, I would just ask that IF there is any training funding left at the end of the year, could she bear you in mind.;) or ask for the name of the person who deals with the training bursaries and ask them. Then you can book yourself on a course. Tesco vouchers a good idea though. Contact the training provider they may allow you to pay a bit at a time if you are still collecting the vouchers.

phoenix2010
07-04-2011, 05:48 PM
havnt read the whole thread but just in reply to how to find work

i registered last week and this is second time around , i was registered before for 4 years and had a 2 year break

it does take a while to get established and the first time round the best response i got was from putting leaflets through doors

i did about 500 and got 2 full timers within a week

ive moved counties now and there is fierce competition where i live , although i have lots of experience here im new to the area so no one knows me , im starting from scratch

im on the all the usual websites , have posters in my car windows

my son is coming to visit over easter from uni and im printing off leaflets for him to deliver door to door in our immediate area

plus there is a massive tescos up the road and he will be putting them on the car windows of all the cars in the car park with child seats in on saturday afternoon when all the families are doing their shopping , hope this is allowed :laughing:

you have to be pro active , it can get frustrating , but you get there eventually :) good luck

sharonmanc
07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
This is one of my main worries, not getting any mindees, especially as it will be my only source of income. I know i can always supply teach if worse comes to worse, but I so dont want to.

I would say take on the part timer too it will ease you into it, get you noticed etc

good luck home you get some enquiries soon