PDA

View Full Version : My EYFS Training on Saturday

bakingmama
20-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi Ladies.

As the title suggests I had my training on Saturday (well the first part anyway) Talk about unorganised, the poor tutor had been given a computer at 5pm the night before so wasn't familiar with it and didn't have a clue how to maximize the screen or show us the video clips etc. Some of us had to help her with th computer. :( I still haven't been sent my eyfs pack so for half of it I had no idea of what she was looking at, although the lady next to me was kind enough to share hers with me. This was the first event of this training across essex and it was embarassing to be honest. They both had been told different dates of when fsted are supposed to be training their own staff for this eyfs and all they could agree on was that ofsted will not be inspecting between march and august because of the training. Most of the information/pictures were aimed at nursery settings not at childminders, so not very helpful. I will be one of the first to be inspected as my inspection should be this july but obviously because of the training it will now be September, I am concerened, yes most of what they want us to do we are aleady doing as a matter of course and they have changed a lot but only by using fancy words, I am told that I will now get my eyfs pack in September. What use is that when my inspection will be in September and the training I have had so far is a shambles? What do I get to refer to for my inspection if I don't have all the information? How can they train us when Ofsted haven't been trained and I have been told that the eyfs packs that have gone out have got some wrong information in them so the packs will be re-printed. Oh and by the way there's a lovely giant poster that we are supposed to put up in our homes for all and sundry to see. Sorry for the long long ramble but my god it was a waste of my saturday and a tenner down the drain! I am pretty cross and I wasn't the only one.:angry:

manjay
20-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Can't really help with EYFS! Just wanted to say sorry you had a wasted Saturday! I think training is all well and good if it gets the desired effect at the end ie you learn someting!! Sounds like no one knew what they were doing! What a shame

miffy
20-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Sorry it sounds as though your training was a complete waste of time - I hope you reflected that in your feedback and it's used to improve what's being offered in your area

I haven't had my training yet but from what I've read on here there's a huge variation across the country in what's offered and how good it is

miffy xx

bakingmama
20-04-2008, 07:16 AM
I couldn't leave any feedback for the tutor's because we have to go back again for the second part, we did raise the question that wouldn't it have been better to train us childminders when ofsted have been trained, because as yet they don't even know how they will inspect under the new legislation. I'm all for training, only when the tutor knows what they are doing, they tried to make jokes out of it but to be honest the jokes wore very thin. We had to do a quizz out a pack that they gave us, but guess what the answers to the quizz were included in the pack! how much thought went into that?

miffy
20-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Well I hope you don't have to waste another Saturday!!!

Seriously though could you ring whoever organised it and complain because if you couldn't leave feedback how will things get any better unless you tell them how awful it was.

The quiz thing is just too pathetic for words

miffy xx

angeldelight
20-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Sorry you had a wasted time - I would be really angry I love my Saturdays

Angel xx

christine e
20-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Is there some problem with the EYFS packs then? I do have a spare if you would like me to send one to you.

Christine

sarah707
20-04-2008, 08:27 AM
What a waste of a Saturday! I would be cross too! :(

Tatia
20-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I just feel so lucky where I'm at because all of our training has been really good (not to mention free!).

I hate attending courses when the tutors are unprepared or fiddling about with techie stuff.:mad:

Pipsqueak
20-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Is there some problem with the EYFS packs then? I do have a spare if you would like me to send one to you.

Christine

Apparently the cards where printed with the wrong colours and didn't correspond (its all supposed to be colour coded!)

We must be really lucky round here - our training has been really organised and good but I think that is down to the tutors rather than any information fed down to them.
Our latest training Enabling Environments - the tutors had organised little displays around the room of things we can do - pebbles in trays, dens, bangles and necklaces on a mugtree etc (sorry I have just fragmented that!)

I agree about much of the information being aimed at nurseries but how daft when they are training minders!