PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mindee is in hospital

solly
10-02-2011, 09:52 PM
This is only my 2nd week with LO who is only just 6 months old, he is such a lovely little lad and have him 4 days a week 8am - 6.15.
Since he started with me last monday he has been using an inhaler, mum signs the permission form everyday on my long term medication sheet so paperwork is all up to date. Since I have had him when he breathes he rattles if that makes sense and has also had a cough.
Well i had him today and seemed no different to the other days. I did the school run this afternoon and came home and gave him his tea and bottle, which he took fine then i couldn't believe how quickly he went down hill. I phoned mum who was on the bus on the way home and she managed to get an emergency appoinment at the doctors which is round the corner from me so had him and his sister ready for her when she got to the door.

She has just rang me and has said she is now in hospital as he is really struggling to breathe. I cant help feeling guilty that maybe i should have phoned mum earlier even though he was fine until just before i phoned her.

I hope he makes a speeedy recovery as he is such a lovely happy little boy.

charlie potato
10-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Its not your fault. Things like that change so quickly.Hope the little one is ok. Keep us updated. xx

berkschick
10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
My eldest used to suffer really badly until she was about 7 like this.

Like you say they go from fine to very poorly very quickly.

Im sure he will be fine in a day or so, he prob just needs a nebulisor and some steroids to get it all back under control.

Dont worry though, you did all the right things.

Goatgirl
10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi,
Do try not to worry: you did everything right and LO was assessed and treated quickly because of that :).
I can't comment on this little one's particular case but I have a mindee who was fine with me last week, is fine again this week, but had to be taken to hospital early saturday morning to be put on a nebuliser because he had breathing difficulties.
It happens and its not anyone's fault. I expect Mum's relieved you called her so quickly and reassured that you know when to call :thumbsup:

Hope LO recovers quickly.

Take care,
Wendy :)

It's a small world
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Please don't feel guilty you have done nothing wrong these things can happen so fast . My ds had an asthma 'episode' when he had just started school four years ago . He had breathing probs the previous year and taken to hospital . Then the following Year ( year he started school) was unwell the day before so kept him off school. Seemed ok during the day then breathing got more difficult. Called doctors who said bring him in asap to get checked ( doctors 5 min drive) walked into doctors straight into a room doctor said please don't panic ( I'm 8.5 months pregnant at this time ) but calling an ambulance - ds started to go blue. Rushed to hospital and recovered . From starting to struggle with breathing to doctors going almost blue then to hospital all happened in half an hour. You did everything you should. Ds now on inhaler and if starts breathing difficulties and inhalers no reaction have to rush to docs or hospital within 2 hours of breathing deteriorating . Usually happens at Xmas most years. There nothing more you could do. Hope lo gets better soon. Just wanted to tell you these things can happen very quickly and can get out of your control. Please don't feel guilty. Sending hugs x

solly
10-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the reassurance :) DS2 has asthma but has never been hospitalised and has never had it really bad and has always been controlled by inhalers.

In the 10 years I have been minding I have never had to deal with asthmatics apart from my son. I couldn't believe how quickly he deterioated. I am so pleased i do a daily diary as i also wrote down how he had been during the day and when he had his inhalers, so at least if the doctors ask she can show them how he has beeen.

Have spoken to mum and she will keep me informed on his condition, they are not sure whether he has pneumonia or a secondary lung infection so he is now undergoing tests.

jane5
10-02-2011, 11:10 PM
You did everything right, you told her he was ill and she was able to make an appointment and had them ready for when she arrived.

At least she didn't pick them up, take them home and then discover he was ill.

Hope he gets better soon:thumbsup:

The Juggler
11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
hon my ds doesn't have severe asthma at all and has only been in hospital twice with it but those times it came on quite suddenly and was linked to illness the first time (tonsilitus) and the second time (we think) tree pollen.

he also had it come on suddenly another time from fine to scary in an hour - though we managed to manage it with an inhaler that time.

Don't worry the safest place to be is hospital if it does come on suddenly.

miffy
11-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Poor little mite - be thankful that you acted so quickly once he began to deteriorate.

Hope he's soon on the mend.

Miffy xx

sarah707
11-02-2011, 08:06 AM
It used to happen like this with ds as well - one minute he was fine and the next he was sitting down white faced and struggling to breathe.

I hope lo is ok xx

solly
11-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Update on baby mindee

He is now home with mum, they are still not sure why he is so wheezy as he does not have an infection. They have done a variety of tests, A sweat test, allergy test, skiin test and the test for cystic fibrosis. He has apparently been like this since he was born, but mum put it down to her smoking during pregnancy and she still smokes now:angry:

She has just been told to up the dose of inhalers and see how he goes. If he goes down hill again then to take him straight back to hospital.

WibbleWobble
11-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Update on baby mindee

He is now home with mum, they are still not sure why he is so wheezy as he does not have an infection. They have done a variety of tests, A sweat test, allergy test, skiin test and the test for cystic fibrosis. He has apparently been like this since he was born, but mum put it down to her smoking during pregnancy and she still smokes now:angry:

She has just been told to up the dose of inhalers and see how he goes. If he goes down hill again then to take him straight back to hospital.

speechless (and thats rare for me) :eek: :eek:

mandy xx