PDA

View Full Version : How to get your head around EYFS?

Gherkin
19-04-2008, 10:56 PM
My question is for those of us who were never professional childcarers prior to becoming minders - what is the best way for us to get our heads around the EYFS?

Pipsqueak
20-04-2008, 07:25 AM
This is going to sound really funny and I don't mean it to be

Get yourself a pack - open it and read it! You will find in there what you have to do (Stat Guidance) and then your best practice guidance underneath it.

Mark out sections that you don't understand
Highlight bits you already do
highlight (different colour) the sections that you need to work on.

Come onto this forum and search out information, if you have a question - ask!

Speak to you DO, go to your network meetings and book onto training where available.

Sorry if that sounds like I am taking the michael - I don't mean it to be but it really is that simple.

Noone expects you to know EYFS backwards and forwards straight away.

sarah707
20-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I think part of the trouble with eyfs is that it is soooo dry and boring... it's not like a book you can pick up and enjoy. So many people have said to me that they have picked it up and put it straight back down because it just blurs!

Thing is though when you get into it, there are not that many things different to what you are doing now - you treat each child as unique, you have good relationships, you have provided an enabling environment and you supply learning and development to all the children...

The only thing you might not do at the moment is to document it all...

Sorry I've gone on a bit but I'm passionate about eyfs - it's mostly such a good document, I just wish it was a bit easier to read... maybe we should suggest Ofsted put pictures in it next time! :laughing:

nell57
20-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Some good advice from Pipsqueak and Sarah

I find looking through the pack a bit of a pain seaching for stuff, so prefer looking on the CD rom or on line easier than looking through the pack its self, for looking through the search areas of development and themes and princples to make links.

And as already been said most of it we already do

Helen:)

Gherkin
21-04-2008, 07:06 PM
:( Believe me I have picked it up and read it..... numerous times and still do not feel like I am getting my head around it. I know I can't be completly thick as I've got more blooming education under my belt than I have ever needed in my various careers with GCSE's, A Levels, a BA and an MA and a m used to reading some dry material as my degrees are both history based!:)

Am hoping it all becomes clear when I have the training in June although chances are I will be nodding as all the sessions are at night!:(

Pipsqueak
21-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi ya Cheeky

Sorry if my post sounded like I was being ignorant towards you, I am sure you have read it through.

What I found helped was reading through the stat parts and highlighting what I do and what I need to put into my policies and implement.
Things I didn't understand I made notes of ready to ask the relevant person.

You will find most things you already do a) because of your Standards b) that is just what you do anyway.
The problem for most people (including myself) is linking things to the relevant section.
ie/ enabling environments - making dens for the children so they can role play, pretend, have quiet time
making discovery baskets/bags (like treasure baskets)
trays of different things - pebbles, rocks, sand, and let the children explore

deeb66
21-04-2008, 07:13 PM
When I first looked at the pack i had the same problem.

I kept reading and reading but it just didn't seem to make any sense.

Can I suggest that you 'break' the pack down.

By this I mean look at one thing at a time and do not move on until you have fully understood it.

I started with the Statutory booklet first as this was more familiar to me as very similar to the 14 standards.

I didn't move on until I fully understood that booklet.

I then started reading the practical guidence and took this a section at a time. I kept reading and re-reading each small section until I fully understood what it was telling me.

After several days of going over everything again it finally clicked.....it was almost like someone had switched the light on :laughing:

I only looked at the cards after I fully understood everything else.....I believe that it was constantly looking at the cards that confused me.

HTH

donnahay0
21-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I have spent some time (not enough) reading through the books. Sarah is right, I found it quite a difficult read. Part of my problem is I usually pick the book up late in the evening and then just end up falling asleep.

It is a shame it can't be laid out as simply as 1, 2, 3 - never mind we will get there, we have no choice really. At lease everybody on the forum always has some good advice and lots of knowledge. I don't know what we would do otherwise. Thanks all.

I think the best way is to just take it in very small sections and hope for the best.

Pipsqueak
21-04-2008, 07:18 PM
When I first looked at the pack i had the same problem.

I kept reading and reading but it just didn't seem to make any sense.

Can I suggest that you 'break' the pack down.

By this I mean look at one thing at a time and do not move on until you have fully understood it.

I started with the Statutory booklet first as this was more familiar to me as very similar to the 14 standards.

I didn't move on until I fully understood that booklet.

I then started reading the practical guidence and took this a section at a time. I kept reading and re-reading each small section until I fully understood what it was telling me.

After several days of going over everything again it finally clicked.....it was almost like someone had switched the light on :laughing:

I only looked at the cards after I fully understood everything else.....I believe that it was constantly looking at the cards that confused me.

HTH

Life breathe sleep EYFS:laughing: :D

Thats a great explanation Dee (words failed me properly for once!!;) )

angeldelight
21-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Think everyone gave really good advice

I would break it down if I was you

Happy reading

Angel xx

Gherkin
23-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanl you all for your advice - only just picked it up as dh keeps nicking the internet cables for his work pc. Argh

Pipsqueek - ignore me if I sounded arsy in my last post - by the evening I am normally shattered and not fit for public interaction.

Dee - am definatly trying your method to see if the light dawns..... (could take some time:laughing: )

Ta for now