PDA

View Full Version : After schoolers

homeeducator
10-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi :)
What sort of things do you all offer after schoolers?? I am collecting then setting craft activities and cooking a meal for their tea. By 6pm i am shattered as they are certainly not a quiet bunch :p I have also taken to park for hour to see if that tires them out...lol ..who am i kidding ..4 boys just want to have fun :) :)
Am i doing the norm or not enough or too much??

FussyElmo
10-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Crafts, board games, play outside, baking, homework, tv and computers bit I do limit the time on these :thumbsup:

glitzygal
10-02-2011, 05:32 PM
you do the same as me,

i pick up word searches, puzzle books, colouring books and stuff like that, we do crafts with themes, tv, board games, i let them sometimes prepare a sandwich snack each, they like dong it together then they sit and chat while making and eating, i have hand held games, ds ect

your doing fine, sometimes they just want to sit and chat and play with the toys,

:thumbsup:

kel1983
10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
I find that all they wanna do when they get home is play. They have been stuck in a classroom all day learning so want to let off steam oh and make loads of noise.

The Juggler
10-02-2011, 09:40 PM
i don't have many any more but did for years. the rowdy ones, they get to go outside and run/scream it out.

TV is a must chill out for me after school. no more than 1 hour for those here for 3 hours but just to chillax them.

I know how you feel, I used to feel like I was runover by a bus some daysx

singingcactus
11-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Mine play with toys, action figures, remote control toys, cars, lego, wiki sticks, computer, v smile, board games, they read, we go to the park, they play in the yard, they play with the nerf guns, they play with the army figures, marbles, the babies and toddlers, mecanno, hammer and nails, they run around like fools, they basically just play and chatter. :)
We have scissors, pens, glues, and loads of other junk out for them to create with, but it's rare I provide set crafts for them - crafts are more of an adult thing, free flow art is on offer for the kids.
If you're in doubt about what the kids want to do, ask them. They'll be happy to tell you. Then stand back and let them get on with it. It becomes hard work for everyone when an adult tries to micro manage school age kids.

Bridey
11-02-2011, 09:30 AM
A huge dressing up box works for me :)

WibbleWobble
11-02-2011, 09:41 AM
they dont find it hard to keep themselves happy here

the only problem is

the whinging and whining!

"mandy xxx has said this to me"
"mandy xxx wont let me play"

Then when it gets too much and i sit them down to tell them they are whinging they all deny it!!!:laughing:

I have two boys who on their own or with others are just fine....put them together and its murder! One lad left (mums job finished) and she has been back to me for a place....i am only prepared to give her a place on the days the other lads not here -i will loose money but keep my sanity!

and argue...omg....and that with me!!! i am not used to kids arguing the toss with me!
my kids knew that when mum said no...mum said no! I do explain why i say no but they just keep going on and on and on.

am i too old for all this? Am i too old fashioned?

mandy xx
give me 10 toddlers and babies for any schoolie

Louise0208
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
:clapping:

you sound exactly the same as me mandy :thumbsup: