PDA

View Full Version : OBABY Xi Sport Tandem vs Phil and Teds

Katiekoo
10-02-2011, 10:44 AM
I really want a new double buggy - fed up of side by side nipper with fixed front wheel.
So ideally I'd love a Phil and Teds - but it's soo expensive (I'm just starting out), even 2nd hand ones with wear and tear are £200.
So I looked at the OBABY Xi Sport Tandem as it seems to work in the same way and I could just about afford a new one at £230 ish.
So advice please, is it better to have a phil and teds with it'ss great reputation, that is scuffed and has wear and tear, or a brand new OBABY? I know the Phil and Teds can have a pod attached as a 3rd seat - would be a benefit - not sure if the OBABY can.

So many factors - such a big expense, I really can't afford a mistake!;)

I have a 2 and a half yr dd, who will walk short distances, plus two mindees both approaching 11 months.
Fed up because I don't fit into local shops with my nipper, I have to lift it to turn and I've done my shoulder in, I can't wheel sleeping babies into house as it won't fit plus I have to have a single and a double - I'd prefer to have one that can adapt and be both.

Also if advised to get a Phil and teds - which one please?

The Juggler
10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
not sure about this model but I've borrowed an obaby side by side before and it is very heavy and cumbersome. I'd check the weight :thumbsup:

kel1983
10-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I read loads of reviews on the internet which were not good. I too was looking at this as a cheaper option. I also would love to hear from someone on here that has used one or owns one. I know everyone raves about the Phil and Teds.

jo.jo76
10-02-2011, 12:52 PM
There was a recent discussion comparing the two, take a look
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74759

Katiekoo
10-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for that info, it's not looking good for the Obaby! I'll have to get searching ebay and Gumtree!

Katiekoo
10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
With the Phil and Teds - which is best? Is a vibe as good as a sport and so on?

amirose
10-02-2011, 03:47 PM
With the Phil and Teds - which is best? Is a vibe as good as a sport and so on?

The vibe has TERRIBLE reviews and many people haven't got on with it.
I have the sport and would highly recommend it. The difference between the sport and E3 is an adjustable handle bar and a reclining 2nd seat - although you can fit the reclining seat onto an E3 :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
10-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Dont get the obaby one, its awful to push and very heavy

The vibe is harder to push than the sport / e3. It gave me RSI!!!!

I'd go for a sport V2 personally. If money wasn't an issue I'd say the new Explorer. V1 of the sport has really stupid post and loop catches to hold it together when folded which are apparently difficult to do and also has a finger trap problem.

V2 has also just had a finger trap warning go out (today) though so it may just be whichever you can get would be best IYSWIM.. P&T are issuing new fingers guards to V2 owners who have the dangerous ones (my old one is one of them which is why I got the email)

There is a shop called Olivers babycare which sells all P&T parts so if anything is badly damaged you should be able to repair (but please do check out the online shop first).

PixiePetal
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I got a classic P&T - bit cheaper new. :rolleyes: back seat does not recline but mindees fall asleep anyway :thumbsup:

I now would like a nipper fixed wheel double for going cross country - don't want to spoil the P&T as it is my bus/town buggy - and don't want to spend too much :o

jane5
10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I got a classic P&T - bit cheaper new. :rolleyes: back seat does not recline but mindees fall asleep anyway :thumbsup:

I now would like a nipper fixed wheel double for going cross country - don't want to spoil the P&T as it is my bus/town buggy - and don't want to spend too much :o

I have a nipper 360 (fixed or swivel wheel). If you are looking on ebay for one check the listing properly because a lot of the fixed wheel ones that are the old style are going for the same price as the 360, the newer style. When people are bidding I dont think they realise that they are bidding for an older one as they look very similar.:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I have a nipper 360 (fixed or swivel wheel). If you are looking on ebay for one check the listing properly because a lot of the fixed wheel ones that are the old style are going for the same price as the 360, the newer style. When people are bidding I dont think they realise that they are bidding for an older one as they look very similar.:thumbsup:

have noticed that - only need it for off road so fixed would be fine but not paying the price of a 360! used a single fixed wheel and loved it, friend has new 360 double which is lovely but I only need a workhorse to go round our farm :rolleyes: cheap but sound :thumbsup:

Katiekoo
10-02-2011, 09:06 PM

If i find myself buying a tandem then, I will be selling my instep nipper side by side with fixed front wheel! I won't be asking for much as it's quite old, no problems or issues though, just got black tape around the handle as it was getting torn a lot.

Katiekoo
10-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Also - thanks guys you are brilliant!

Noodles
10-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I may be selling my phil and teds sport pm me if you are interested or need any further information :) :)

PixiePetal
10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
If i find myself buying a tandem then, I will be selling my instep nipper side by side with fixed front wheel! I won't be asking for much as it's quite old, no problems or issues though, just got black tape around the handle as it was getting torn a lot.

pm me if you do :thumbsup:

Katiekoo
11-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I may be selling my phil and teds sport pm me if you are interested or need any further information :) :)

Oh - just bought one on ebay, shame.

Katiekoo
12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Got it last night! LOVE IT! It's green :D not everyones cup of tea but I really love it! :blush:
Thanks so much everyone for the great advice, with such a big purchase when you're just starting out, this advice has been crucial.