PDA

View Full Version : Claiming for new fence - Advise needed

Blemblem
10-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Before my ofsted inspection yesterday, I had a small fence and gate erected by the shed where I keep the family bikes, bbq and outside tap so the area was safe for the lo's and also had some cracked slabs replaced. Altogether it came to £150.00.

Is this something I can put through my accounts as I only had these done for the minded children? By the way I got a "GOOD":clapping:

Please let me know ASAP as I need to get my accounts up to date this weekend!!

Chatterbox Childcare
10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Well done on your inspection and yes I would claim it myself. You can claim any like for like replacements on the ground and if it is a safety issue all of the fencing costs

aly
10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
inpector told me i had to get a fence and keep dog away so put the whole cost of that and kennel through...i had a letter from her so if HMRC query it I have proof that it was a condition etc.

:thumbsup:

flowerpots
10-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Well done on your inspection and yes I would claim it myself. You can claim any like for like replacements on the ground and if it is a safety issue all of the fencing costs

thats good to know debbie, ive got three fence panels to replace after all that wind.:rolleyes:

Well done on your inspection, thats great :clapping:

MaryMary
15-02-2011, 09:45 PM
inpector told me i had to get a fence and keep dog away so put the whole cost of that and kennel through...i had a letter from her so if HMRC query it I have proof that it was a condition etc.

I have just been quoted today on the cost of increasing the height of a low wall and putting in a gate at the top of the steps in my garden. This serves a dual purpose of separating the dog into one area of the garden, and stopping LO's falling down the steps! :eek: So hopefully I will be able to put this through :) I wouldn't get it done if I wasn't minding as my youngest is 12 and can manage the steps on his own :D
I am determined to get better use out of my garden this year! :)
Do you think I can claim for a kennel aswell? It would mean he has shelter, and is away from the kids :)

izzy23
16-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Following on from this, this is a tricky one but I did wonder if anyone here has had a similar experience.
Next doors fence has blown down in the recent gales, first it was just the one panel, which my husband fixed, that went again, and again he put it back up,now two panels have gone and it tbh looks like it needs re fencing properly. Now this is next doors boundary and not ours, we have tried to fix it in good faith twice but clearly I am not too keen on splashing out money if we don't have to. Next door is an issue, she is not a cooperative person, we own our house privately, she is a council tenant and our local council surprise surprise, don't have a fencing policy, we've approached her but she won't fix it. Just wondered if anyone had been through anything similar and if they'd manage to resolve it.

rickysmiths
16-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Following on from this, this is a tricky one but I did wonder if anyone here has had a similar experience.
Next doors fence has blown down in the recent gales, first it was just the one panel, which my husband fixed, that went again, and again he put it back up,now two panels have gone and it tbh looks like it needs re fencing properly. Now this is next doors boundary and not ours, we have tried to fix it in good faith twice but clearly I am not too keen on splashing out money if we don't have to. Next door is an issue, she is not a cooperative person, we own our house privately, she is a council tenant and our local council surprise surprise, don't have a fencing policy, we've approached her but she won't fix it. Just wondered if anyone had been through anything similar and if they'd manage to resolve it.

I have had exactly the same issue. The council fence is 3' high and chain link! The tennant we have next door is not desirable. When we bought the house the people we bought from had put up 6' wooden fencing to give some privacy even though it was not their boundry. Our boundry was bad so we did that when we moved in 7yrs ago and it cost £600. Over the years the wooden fence was blown down and I rang the council, expalined I was a cm and that the state for the tennants (always under the influence) was a child protection issue and could they put up a proper fence. They refused, the tenant won't.

When we had our extention built last summer we had a proper fence put up to sheild the patio area and we are going to plant a hedge the rest of the way to create a barrier that wont blow down!! I intend to cliam the whole cost on expenses because if I wasn't minding I wouldn't do it.

nic t
16-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Similar here too!

Thank God it was after Ofsted (not that she went in the garden!) but next doors fence has been demolished in the winds. I am lucky that we have a seperate gated decked area so I have just shut the grassed area that it affects.

But it is next doors fence and so far nothing has been done to fix it. Hubby has offered to help them put it up if they get the fence so hopefully it'll get sorted. But I was wondering what happens if they just point blank refused to fix it?

Ava's Nana
16-02-2011, 11:48 AM
just out of interest...i have quite a large concrete patio but in the rain it floods very badly where its not level, also since we had the snow a good 50% of has all broken up and we have some shallow pot holes. i plan on getting it slabbed when the weather gets a bit better ready for the children to play out as they haven't been able to get out there for a while because we've had so much rain and once its flooded it takes a couple of days to go down...do you think i would be able to claim this on my expenses?

MrAnchovy
16-02-2011, 12:51 PM
just out of interest...i have quite a large concrete patio but in the rain it floods very badly where its not level, also since we had the snow a good 50% of has all broken up and we have some shallow pot holes. i plan on getting it slabbed when the weather gets a bit better ready for the children to play out as they haven't been able to get out there for a while because we've had so much rain and once its flooded it takes a couple of days to go down...do you think i would be able to claim this on my expenses?

This is maintenance which is an allowable expense, although you presumably have some private use of the patio so you can only claim an appropriate fraction: 5/7ths?

Daisy1956
16-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear about all your problems with neighbours and fencing it makes me realise how lucky i am any problems are resolved quickly and costs shared.

TheBTeam
16-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Why on earth have they said that you have to keep the dog away?

aly
16-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Why on earth have they said that you have to keep the dog away?

He's a lurcher, so classed as a medium/large dog. it isone of the conditions of my registration..:rolleyes:
He is 12 this year, on his last legs and doubt would last another year but still have to keep him seperate.

for this reason I claim as i have it in writing what they require of me.

It's probably best he is away from the kids to save HIS sanity a bit longer :laughing: