PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I'd say it but....Play-doh recipe please!!!!

SammyM
09-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Never ever in a month of sundays thought I'd ask for this, but kids loved playing with it today at a friends.

Whats the recipe, how do you make it, is it just food colouring to colour it and how long does it last???

I may live to regret this post!!!!!

:panic: :laughing: :panic: :laughing:

flowerpots
09-02-2011, 11:04 PM
here you are hun

http://www.easy-kids-recipes.com/play-dough-recipes.html

mine love playdough too :D

AliceK
10-02-2011, 09:25 AM
I know this might sound stupid but does the food colouring not stain hands, clothes etc? I really want to make some instead of buying it all the time but I don't want mindees getting their clothes stained. They wear aprons but are very messy :)

xxxx

spowage
10-02-2011, 09:41 AM
no it doesnt and you only need a small amout i made blue dough the other day added loads of glitter and peppermint essence and it was gr8 to play with kept the kids amused for a long time and they didnt eat it which was amazing !!!:laughing:

The Juggler
10-02-2011, 09:46 AM
if you only put a few drops in it won't stain. I put cinammon in my last batch - i wanted to eat it!

Milli147
10-02-2011, 10:13 AM
For deeper colours use the food dye from cake decorating shops, its in tiny poster paint type bottles and you only need a tiny bit for amazing colours.

I add glitter, sand, orange, lemon or peppermint oil, vanilla extract, or even fabric softener to make it smell lovely.

It will last ages wrapped in clingfilm, but I ditch it every week as I always think it' s a bit germy. I make three or four different ones each time and then store it until I need it.

Kes
10-02-2011, 10:18 AM
The only colour that I have found that stains is black.

AliceK
10-02-2011, 10:46 AM
I know what I'll be making this weekend then :thumbsup:

xxxx

Ripeberry
10-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Another recipie is: (Microwave Playdough)

1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of water with colouring and essense
1 tablespoon of baby oil
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
half a cup of salt

Mix the flour,salt, tartar together (dry), then add the cup of water with the colouring and essense and the baby oil. In a large microwavable bowl.

Mix it all together well, squishing any lumps of flour until you have a smooth paste.

Put it in the microwave (uncovered) for 30 seconds on full power, take it out give it a stir, then back in 30 seconds...

Should take about 5 goes and then the mixture will turn into a dough. If it's a bit sticky, put it back in for 10 seconds at a time and take it out and knead it (carefull will be hot!).
I leave it to cool for a bit then wrap it in clingfilm to stop it drying.

RachelE
10-02-2011, 11:00 AM
I always make my own.

as for colours, I normally do yellow - for some reason when I've tried other colours, it doesnt last and goes all gooey!

Ours stays in the fridge in cling film and lasts for ages.

Have fun!

Rachel x

Aimi-jo
10-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I know this might sound stupid but does the food colouring not stain hands, clothes etc? I really want to make some instead of buying it all the time but I don't want mindees getting their clothes stained. They wear aprons but are very messy :)

xxxx

doesn't sound silly i thought excatly the same thing, Il be making the some this weekend :)

kel1983
10-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I made so much last time that i seperated it into 2 maade it different colours and stored a batch in the freezer. It was in there for a good month before I got it out. It was better than the batch I used straight away.

Gonna make some more the weekend. The 3 year old I have plays with it for hours at a time.

Much better than the shop stuff. and I hate having the colours mixed so only stick to the one colour. I think its the OCD :blush: a bit like having all the toys put back in the right place.