PDA

View Full Version : Coursework question

Pipsqueak
09-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Can you plagerise yourself?

I want to lift some info from my year 2 assignment and put it into my year 3 assignment...... or do I have to reference myself???
I would probably reword it.....

miffy
09-02-2011, 09:58 PM
No because it's copying someone else's work and presenting it as your own.

You would be re-hashing your own work - not the same thing at all

Miffy xx

Blaze
09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
We were told to reference ourself ie your name, E100 TMA 01, year, unpublished.
HTH:)

sarah707
09-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I often re-worded things from one essay to another when I was doing OU.

I was told by my tutor that it's fine to do that and you don't have to reference yourself. :D

manjay
09-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I have to sign a declaration when I hand assignments in saying the work has not been used in a previous assignment (or something to that effect). I just change the words around:D

Blaze
09-02-2011, 10:06 PM
IMHO if it's reworded then you don't need to reference yourself - if you are going to quote / refer back to etc then you should reference yourself.:)

Pipsqueak
09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Interesting... think i'll reword

thank you :)

The Juggler
09-02-2011, 10:43 PM
I have to sign a declaration when I hand assignments in saying the work has not been used in a previous assignment (or something to that effect). I just change the words around:D

I agree, just change your words around a bit hon. or if it's a good quote you wanted to use again, just change the wording in the sentence you use to place the quote. we had to submit electronically to a system which compared our work to previous assignements of not just us, other students in our uni and different ones. Do you have to do the same?

If you do then they can potentially see if you've lifted a whole block but will probably not be that bothered if it's your own work - though every uni will be different. What they look at overall is how matched the whole assignment is. I pinched a para out of an essay and used it in my research and it came up as 15% matched (i.e. similar to someone elses :eek: :eek: ) when I looked closely though it was to my own work and it was a very short para so I didn't worry about it.

Don't think any tutors will have the time to check each match on the system they are going to be looking at red flagged assignments which have lots of similar previous essay content. Does that make sense?

I would get advice from your uni tutor though just to be sure:)