PDA

View Full Version : Variation - I am so cross

bandlady
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi

Today Ofsted have informed me that I cannot have the variation that I have requested because it is for new business.
I already have a variation in place Monday to Friday for four children under five but one of the children left and as I need to fill the space I had planned to take on a new child but the hours are different from the child that left. I was hoping that Ofsted would let me change a name on the variation already in place but no I had to put a new variation in and as already said because it is for new business they have refused it.:mad: :mad:
All the mindees that I have are part time (10 in all spread over the week) and this has left me with a situation where I have a full time space available except for seven hours a week where I would need to have a variation in place for four children. This would only have been from mid March until September when two of my mindees will be in full time education.
I wrote a thorough case and explained in great detail that I live in a rural area where there is not a lot of available childcare but none of this has been taken into account.
When I said that this leaves me in a very difficult situation where I now may have to give notice to families that I have worked with for many years or to refuse the new business (which is full time). Ofsted's answer to this is 'could you not get the new parent to chance their hours' NO she is in the RAF and her hours are not negotiable and there other helpful advice was 'we woulld not advise you to give notice to the children you already mind'. So what do I do?
I cannot believe that Ofsted are being so petty over such a small number of hours. I have had variations in the past for new business and have never had a problem before in getting approval. I just feel bitter that I am trying to make sure that I do 'everything by the book' and keep everyone happy. This could well be the time to start thinking about resigning from Childcare I think I have had enough of trying to keep on the right side of Ofsted:angry: :angry:

Sorry for the rant

Denise

georgie456
09-02-2011, 09:06 PM
You need to appeal this! I had a refused variation granted after appealing it. It's worth a try hun x

Goatgirl
09-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes, definitely appeal :thumbsup:

Good luck :)

Mouse
09-02-2011, 09:22 PM
They are very clear that they don't grant variations for new business, so it's no surprise they turned down your request.

Would it be possible to get an assistant to help cover for the short period of time when you would have 4 children?

bandlady
09-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi

Thanks ladies I know I should appeal but I feel just so mad at the moment and have not got the time or the energy (having to also look after hubby who had an accident three weeks ago) to fight Ofsted on this one.

I am due an inspection soon and hope to have a chance to have a discussion face to face and try and put my point across (some hope).

Denise

onceinabluemoon
09-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Ofsted only allow variations for continuity of care or siblings.

This is a quote from their variation form, which you may or may not have already had.

 Maximum number of children in the early years age range – The EYFS statutory framework sets a normal maximum of 3 children in the early years age range. However it allows children aged four and five who are in full time education to be counted as over the age of five for the purposes of ratios. We will only allow this maximum to be exceeded where one child from the family is already minded by you or to preserve continuity of care of a currently minded child. You should complete the grid carefully and ensure you complete section D (see section D guidance for further information).

It doesn't make much sense when people are desperate for childcare but I guess its there for a reason.

Hope the mum can sort something out. x

miffy
09-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I am sure that Ofsted also had to consider the availability of childcare places locally so could you argue that there is no-one else available?

I think it's definitely worth appealing or could you take on the child for those hours you have a space for and then approach Ofsted for a variation (then it will be continuity of care iyswim)

Miffy xx

berkschick
09-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Could you not take the child on for some of the hours you have and then ask for the variation?

That would be continuation of care then :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
09-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I am sure that Ofsted also had to consider the availability of childcare places locally so could you argue that there is no-one else available?

I think it's definitely worth appealing or could you take on the child for those hours you have a space for and then approach Ofsted for a variation (then it will be continuity of care iyswim)

Miffy xx

I was going to say that Miffy just not as well :thumbsup:

It's worth a try :thumbsup:

Carol xx

georgie456
09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
They are very clear that they don't grant variations for new business, so it's no surprise they turned down your request.

Would it be possible to get an assistant to help cover for the short period of time when you would have 4 children?

I agree, but on appeal mine was granted for new business so it always worth a try.

bandlady
09-02-2011, 09:59 PM
'Could you not take the child on for some of the hours you have and then ask for the variation?'

The problem is the hours I need the variation for are 8-9 am three mornings and 3-4pm four afternoons when i do drop off and pick up for the local preschool (the children who will be in full time education from September) and the hours for the new child are 7.15 until 5.15 five days a week.

I will have to have a chat to all the families and see what I can do. I really cannot afford to give up a full time space but my heart is saying I cannot give notice to children from families that i have minded for a number of years.

As someone has already pointed out Ofsted are very clear that they only give variations for siblings or continuity of care but the fact that I already had a variation in place to cover all my working hours Monday to Friday (and this was only granted in June 2010) I stupidly assumed that they would let me keep that variation in place. What makes me angry is where is the consistency in granting variations. How can they grant me one in the past for new business and now say that they can't.

Sorry still mad

miffy
09-02-2011, 10:01 PM
'
How can they grant me one in the past for new business and now say that they can't.

Sorry still mad

I think you should ask them that!

Miffy xx

Cazz
09-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Sorry to hear that your having problems with your variation but hope you don't mind me jumping in and asking an opinion on my situation.

I had two brothers start this week with me. Tues - Friday (although I can only mind one of them on a Friday at the moment due to spaces). They are 18 months, 34 months and I have my own 3 year old daughter.

I need to put in a variation because the parents would like their 7 mth baby to come to me as well so they are in childcare together. She would not be coming on a Friday as she goes to a grandparents but I already have a 22 month old on a Friday so I need the variation on a Friday for one of the brothers that I already have Tues - Thurs.

Based on this thread do you think I will stand a chance of getting my variation - the mindees have only started with me this week and the form does say how long have you minded this child (in months).

The parents have relatives temporarily caring for the baby but this can't be a permanent arrangement and they're really keen to have the children all together.

I am also looking to register my mum as an assistant, although she won't have finished her first aid and safeguarding courses until May. Should I mention this on the variation form or will it make no difference?

Sorry again to jump in on the thread but how long did it take them to decide on the variation and did they write or phone you?

glitzygal
09-02-2011, 10:18 PM
IT IS SO ANNOYING,,,,,,,,,,,

a few months ago, LO went from 3 days to 2 days........... so it left open quite a few hours to fill,

i had an enquiry full time,, which took me over few days but only few hours, and only in holidays,,,

i needed the money like everyone,

and i was turned down,,,,,,,,,,

the worse thing is i am now left with 2 days and no kids in the day,,,, which is nice, but i am fed up knowing i could fill 3 spaces in 2 days........... but i cant take on full time as they say no.,...... but i have got a few bitty hours, which isnt much money ,, but i dont go over,,,,, few minder sometimes have 5 under 5 and i feel its unfare.

wish they would consider us all,..... and the spaces we ned to fill

wendywu
09-02-2011, 11:28 PM
As it has already been pointed out, take the child on, then oh look mum has had to change her working hours. Ta Da variation granted. Simples :D

angiemog
10-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Sorry to hear that your having problems with your variation but hope you don't mind me jumping in and asking an opinion on my situation.

I had two brothers start this week with me. Tues - Friday (although I can only mind one of them on a Friday at the moment due to spaces). They are 18 months, 34 months and I have my own 3 year old daughter.

I need to put in a variation because the parents would like their 7 mth baby to come to me as well so they are in childcare together. She would not be coming on a Friday as she goes to a grandparents but I already have a 22 month old on a Friday so I need the variation on a Friday for one of the brothers that I already have Tues - Thurs.

Based on this thread do you think I will stand a chance of getting my variation - the mindees have only started with me this week and the form does say how long have you minded this child (in months).

The parents have relatives temporarily caring for the baby but this can't be a permanent arrangement and they're really keen to have the children all together.

I am also looking to register my mum as an assistant, although she won't have finished her first aid and safeguarding courses until May. Should I mention this on the variation form or will it make no difference?

Sorry again to jump in on the thread but how long did it take them to decide on the variation and did they write or phone you?

One of my mindees had only been coming a week when I requested a variation. It allowed me to have 4 under 5s for the full days. They are all around 2 and don't go to preschool. Good Luck x

bandlady
10-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks again for all your replies I have spoken to parent and we are going to work around hours I can do and then apply for variation for continunity of care asap after child has started.

Thanks again I would not have thought about doing it this way.

Denise

Cazz
11-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks again for all your replies I have spoken to parent and we are going to work around hours I can do and then apply for variation for continunity of care asap after child has started.

Denise

Good luck - got my fingers crossed for both of us! x

Rubybubbles
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I am taking it by the hours you need the variation you have school age children on those hours? Maybe you could see if there is an school club? I have a friend in the same boat come Sept, she will be left with a space 9-3 mon-fri! We are on RAF base, so know how these hours rarely get filled!

The Juggler
12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
As it has already been pointed out, take the child on, then oh look mum has had to change her working hours. Ta Da variation granted. Simples :D

that's what I did :thumbsup:

miffy
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Denise

Good luck - I'm sure you'll get the variation which begs the question why they couldn't have just given it you in the first place :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

loocyloo
12-02-2011, 04:15 PM
that's what I did :thumbsup:

i had a variation granted when child hadn't even started with me, we had signed contracts and were settling in, and then mums hours changed. :)