View Full Version : If i have!?!?!?!?

19-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi everyone. As some of you may know from my other thread that my mum might become my assistant. I just wanted to know if i have got to tell inland revenue? How would this affect my tax return?


19-04-2008, 09:04 PM
You put any money you pay your mum through your books as expenses.

Your mum is responsible for declaring her income to the tax office - she will either be self employed and have to pay her own stamp and tax or you might choose to employ her and pay those for her - you will then have other responsibilities. I am not an expert.

I would strongly suggest you contact the inland revenue for advice.

Here are the helplines :D


21-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Ok tar. My mum dont pay tax on her other job as she doesnt have to.She wants me to pay her the same as she is getting now which means she still wont need to pay tax. I just wanted to no if it would affect my tax return in anyway ? ?

21-04-2008, 07:08 PM
No you just put her through your books as an expense.

Even if she doesn't pay tax, she will still have to tell the tax office she is earning money - 2 reasons, 1 because it's the law and 2 so if they ever check you, they can see you are paying her and she is declaring it...

Hope that makes sense! :D

21-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Can you have an assistant that is self employed i thought you had to employ them, thats what always put me off. i hate dealing with my own tax and ni let alone someone elses!

21-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Yes you can.

If you want to know more, I suggest you contact the tax office for info...


22-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok thx sarah :)