PDA

View Full Version : babies sleeping on pre-school run

newandlearning
09-02-2011, 05:07 PM
hi all.. I was wondering what everyone else would do in a situation where you have a pre-school run and a baby who always falls asleep during the preschool run.. I'm very tempted to not.. get out the buggy put him in it.. go 10 yards into preschool pick up other mindee and then come back out and repeat process when the picking up of mindee only takes 3 minutes..

I know this probably isn't good practise and could potentially be leaving child on own for 3 minutes not in view but it also seems a lot of work which I begin to find a bit of a chore.

I've had loads of problems with my back since having this babe and am exploring ways of keeping myself in good health but don't want to jeopodise a child's safety...

what would you do?

wendywu
09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Sorry but it is a chore and i hate the school runs in the winter. But you must not leave a child in the car and out of your sight.

So 3 minutes or 3 seconds you have to take them with you :(

FussyElmo
09-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Sorry but it is a chore and i hate the school runs in the winter. But you must not leave a child in the car and out of your sight.

So 3 minutes or 3 seconds you have to take them with you :(

Totally agree :thumbsup:

Yes its a pain but you really shouldnt leave them.

mama2three
09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
You absolutely cant leave lo in the car.
Another option , depending on your relationship with playgroup staff , is for them to bring mindee out to the car to you.

snufflepuff
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I know you say you have back problems but is it possible for you to carry the baby? I know what you mean about getting a buggy out of the car for such a short journey, it's a pain in the bum.

Definitely don't leave them alone in the car though, not even for a second.

newandlearning
09-02-2011, 05:24 PM
you know ladies I know that's what we are supposed to do and its what I've been doing for the past 3 years but recently I've felt so exhausted with all the toeing and throwing..

there is no simple way around this is there.. I can't think of one?

georgie456
09-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I agree - It's just not worth it to save you a bit of hassle.
I am lucky enough to live close enough to walk so the babies sleep in the buggy and I don't have to disturb them.

Mouse
09-02-2011, 05:28 PM
The only way round it is to stop doing nursery runs! I got fed up of them, so when my last nursery child left I said I wasn't doing any more. With my own children & minded children I'd been doing them for about 16 years!
I now try to take on babies, so I know I've probably got 3 years before it's even a possibility! I will have to start them again in a couple of years, but I'm enjoying the break from them :thumbsup:

Twinkles
09-02-2011, 05:28 PM
This is the bit I hated ( DH does the school run now so not a prob ).

It's not worth the risk a, to the childs safety and b, as someone is BOUND to report you ( see library thread ).

Can you team up with another minder at the pre school and help each other out ?

Tinglesnark
09-02-2011, 05:32 PM
i had a similar dilemma but had 2 babies to take from the car. Had to set up the double buggy, remove childrn from car, settle them in buggy, fetch ds1 and then return each child to their car seat and put buggy away...took me an extra 20 mins twice a day...
nightmare but no way around it unless you walk to school with baby in the buggy x

debratina
09-02-2011, 05:41 PM
is there no way you could walk to the school?
think how fit you would be

Ripeberry
09-02-2011, 05:48 PM
i had a similar dilemma but had 2 babies to take from the car. Had to set up the double buggy, remove childrn from car, settle them in buggy, fetch ds1 and then return each child to their car seat and put buggy away...took me an extra 20 mins twice a day...
nightmare but no way around it unless you walk to school with baby in the buggy x

I've got this happening in June, will have two 1yr olds (non-walkers) and have to collect a 3yr old from pre-school. But thankfully only one day a week. So have a feeling I will have two screaming babies just to collect one other child.

Tinglesnark
09-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I found it hard going and was releived when the contract ended. I have just turned down twins for various reasons but the main one being that it is a serious mission to load them all in to the car to start off with as my driveway cannot be seen from my front door which leaves me with a huge dilemma before i even leave of a morning...

snufflepuff
09-02-2011, 05:57 PM

This is exactly what I had to do- two one year olds in and out of buggy and car seats in all weathers just to drop off one schoolie. I gave it up- not only because of the hassle it caused, but also because it was effecting my sons health. Such a relief!

nic t
09-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I know it's a pain but you can't leave them in the car. It's not safe and it probably wouldn't be long before someone reported you!

Only options are walking (if that is an option and not a 2hr walk!) or not doing the nursery run.

Just had a thought is it your own child you are collecting or a mindee? If it's your own child is there anybody that you trust to walk them out to you so that you don't have to unload?

Alibali
09-02-2011, 06:27 PM
The only other option I can think of is if you know another cm who does the nursery run could she (if within numbers and agreed with parents), sit with the baby while you collect the older child?

onceinabluemoon
09-02-2011, 07:26 PM
The only other option I can think of is if you know another cm who does the nursery run could she (if within numbers and agreed with parents), sit with the baby while you collect the older child?

How would this work with the child being in her sight or hearing at all times? Not picking, just asking if it's allowed.

How old is baby? If under 13 months how about getting a car seat which fits on a buggy, then all you'd have to do was a quick unclip and reclip...

Definitely don't leave the child alone in the car. It may only be 3 minutes but how long does it take another car to smash into it if the brakes fail... A local CM to me was reported for doing this and Ofsted made a complaint on her record and lots of actions etc. Definitely not worth the hassle. I know how you feel though, I have preschool runs 3 times a week and it can be a bit draining. Thankfully mine only ten minutes away so is near enough to walk

Starfish007
09-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I have same problem, 6 times during the week I have to load 2 little ones into the twin buggy to go about 10 steps! Would never ever leave them on their own though, big no x

manjay
09-02-2011, 08:10 PM
I just see this as part of my job:rolleyes:

Minstrel
09-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Also as a parent, if i found out you were doing this with my child i would remove them from your care with immediate effect!

funemnx
09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
I just see this as part of my job:rolleyes:

I see it as part of the job too but is this just the luch time pick-up? I try to encourage the parents to put their child in playschool for a full day, so fewer school runs to do as out already doing school pick-up.

Twinkles
09-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Would it be worth getting an assistant for an hour a day?

Maybe someone who doesn't go out to work - retired maybe or a stay at home mum ?

She could either sit in the car with the baby or even better do the pick up for you.

Ripeberry
09-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Would it be worth getting an assistant for an hour a day?

Maybe someone who doesn't go out to work - retired maybe or a stay at home mum ?

She could either sit in the car with the baby or even better do the pick up for you.

But aren't they supposed to have a first aid certificate?

berkschick
09-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I have to get 10 months, 20 months and 14 months plus double buggy with buggy pod in and out of the car 9 times in one morning, every single morning, come rain or shine!!!!!!

karen m
09-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I agree with Manjay,also if you think of it as a chore and can't be bothered maybe your in the wrong job

Mookins
09-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I have to get 10 months, 20 months and 14 months plus double buggy with buggy pod in and out of the car 9 times in one morning, every single morning, come rain or shine!!!!!!

HOLY MOLY

i personally wouldnt want my baby in and out that many times...how on earth do you manage you must have muscles like popeye;)

xx

berkschick
09-02-2011, 10:08 PM
All my parents are fine with it.

I do school run, pre school run, toddlers, home, pre school pick up so not too bad but adds up to 9 times in and out of the car! Doesnt really bother me too much unless its wet then its a pain but its all part of the job!

Tinglesnark
09-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I agree with Manjay,also if you think of it as a chore and can't be bothered maybe your in the wrong job

:rolleyes: helpful input :clapping::rolleyes:

not.......

:rolleyes:

rickysmiths
09-02-2011, 10:13 PM

This is what I am doing at the moment! It is hard work, I have 7mth, 11mth, 22mth to get in and out of the car. I haven't had 2 non walkers for a long time.

jane5
09-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Could you get a really cheap really light buggy to use for the school run. This may save your back a little.

I also agree with the others, you shouldn't leave lo and if any thing bad happened to them you would never forgive yourself.

Mrs Pootle
10-02-2011, 07:57 AM
How far are you from the school? Surely it must be easier to walk there. I am a 30 minute walk from school (at 3 yr old pace), & find it easier to walk there & back in a morning, lunchtime & hometime I never use my car for childminding.
It's not very nice in cold wet weather, but it keeps us all fit :D

snufflepuff
10-02-2011, 08:22 AM
also if you think of it as a chore and can't be bothered maybe your in the wrong job

Don't mean to be rude but I think this is a bit unfair. I'd bet nearly everyone has aspects of their job that they don't like all that much. I doubt any childminder actually enjoys changing dirty, smelly nappies.....(I think i'd be a bit worried if someone said they enjoyed it to be honest, lol!) but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be childminders.

The Juggler
10-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Don't mean to be rude but I think this is a bit unfair. I'd bet nearly everyone has aspects of their job that they don't like all that much. I doubt any childminder actually enjoys changing dirty, smelly nappies.....(I think i'd be a bit worried if someone said they enjoyed it to be honest, lol!) but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be childminders.

I agree and I don't think for 1 minute manjay mean this either

manjay
10-02-2011, 12:06 PM
I agree and I don't think for 1 minute manjay mean this either

Hey don't be blaming me;) I never said anything of the sort:D

But I do just see this as part of my job and yes there have been parts of other jobs that I could have done without but I just got on with it.

Louise0208
10-02-2011, 12:14 PM
i agree

and shoot me down now for saying this but.......Im suprised the question was even asked in the first place :eek:

runs for cover :(

wendywu
10-02-2011, 12:16 PM
[
QUOTE=Louise0208;869086]i agree

and shoot me down now for saying this but.......Im suprised the question was even asked in the first place :eek:

runs for cover :([/QUOTE]

Well i must admit that i did think this. I would have assumed that this is the one question we would ALL know the answer to :rolleyes:

Rubybubbles
10-02-2011, 12:37 PM
back to OP

nope sorry :(

I walk 1 1/2 mile at a fast race from one school to another (they know I may be late) as I can take the pushchair up to the front door where I pass over pre-schooler without having to move LO's. Not fun in the rain but for me it was easier than going to one school (walking) coming back home enroute! loading and unloading then loading again ekkk then to do it again at 1:30!

But I am lucky as I can walk to, (although my legs are short walking over 6 miles a day:panic: )

Twinkles
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
But aren't they supposed to have a first aid certificate?

Yes ?.....

newandlearning
10-02-2011, 03:41 PM
well .. I can read that once again I've asked a question which some people don't approve of.. I know we can't leave kids in cars.. but don't shoot me down for thinking it :rolleyes: ...

for everyone who understood that I was actually asking for some constructive advice .. thank you for answering.. unfortunately there are no other childminders who pick up from the same preschool as me so I can't ask for help.. and the preschool doesn't offer all day care so can't extend care till school pick up time...

I think one good advice is .. I could start walking instead.. I did indeed do this yesterday and oddly it takes me just as long to get 4 kids in the car and out again .. as it does to just walk it :)

Louise0208
10-02-2011, 03:58 PM
and think of the health benefits :)

i cant function till iv had my 40 mins of fresh air & excersise first thing in the morning.......i still think thats why im so lethergic at weekends :thumbsup:

caz3007
10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Glad you have found a solution that works for you all and think of the fact the fresh air is doing you all good. I dont drive, so walk everywhere, although wasnt so good today as got soaked on both school runs. But hey it wont kill me and we all get some exercise and fresh air

wendywu
10-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I would think that the walking pushing a buggy may even strengthen your back in the long run.

So thats good news as well :thumbsup:

The Juggler
10-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I would think that the walking pushing a buggy may even strengthen your back in the long run.

So thats good news as well :thumbsup:

I agree and meantime ask you practice nurse for some exercises to help (ones you can do at home). Sit ups often help to support your back.:)