PDA

View Full Version : Ad-hoc??

Newbie1!
09-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Hello all - I have had an enquiry today for adhoc work for two lo's and I really need some advice!!

Ive never had such an enquiry before so unsure what to do. Im fairly empty at the mo having lost my two biggest earners to redundancy last week so am happy to do ad-hoc but just dont know what to do re fees/availability etc. I asked mum to clarify and all she could say was sometimes I wouldnt see them for weeks and then sometimes it would be five days a week - it depends on her business. Now i dont mind this but do I need to make it clear that if and when I get a "proper" mindee as in set hours etc that that mindee will take priority and also how do I charge? Would I charge a weekly retainer, minimum hours or just an hourly rate based on when they come....arrrgggh!!! Please help!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

caz3007
09-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I do an adhoc contract, but we agreed a mininum of 10 hours paid each week. They use the 10 hours and any extra they pay as and when. I must admit I only know at the weekend what hours I am working with him and dont think I would be as flexible again, but at the time, like you I was quiet and it helped a bit financially.

clio0602
09-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I have 2 adhoc mindee siblings and they pay min £90 wk for 4yr old and £3.75perhr used for the before and after schoolie.

TBH I wouldn't do it again unless I really needed work as I like to know well in advance when I'm working and sometimes don't know until the day before. Hope it works out for you x

bexcee
09-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm in a similar situation - had an enquiry today for a 10 month old who wants child care for the following pattern:

Week one - 1 day
Week two - 2 days
Week three - 3 days
Week four - 4 days
Week five - 3 days
Week six - 2 days
Week seven - 1 day and so on.

Now I have a full time baby space at the moment so can take him on but how on earth do I charge them? Just as and when they come or what???

Any help much apprechaited as am so confused about how to work it out fairly for both me and the parents.

tulip0803
09-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I get my ad-hocs to sign to say that they;-

understand that a place will only be available if I do not have contracted mindees on that day
Understand that I only have space of 5 children under 8 & of those no more than 3 under 5
that I need 7 days notice of any dates they require but I cannot guarantee to be able to accomodate them
If they wish to change to a more permanent arrangement then they will have to sign a contract and pay for the required time whether they use it or not
Payment must be made at time of booking

When I have someone that wants flexible days like Bexcee I charge a minimum for the days not used. So if they are the same 4 days each week I would charge £10 per day not used (or half depending which is more). If they wanted all 5 days it would be for all days not used. I explain this by saying they are not paying for my time they are paying for a childcare space to be retained for their use. If they need to use the space they can for the normal daily fee less the £10 already paid. Family I have on shift work are happy to do this - this month I have LO 2 times & they are paying retainer for 6 days as they are contracted 2 days per week. IYSWIM

miffy
09-02-2011, 10:17 PM
was sometimes I wouldnt see them for weeks and then sometimes it would be five days a week

This could be very hard work for you and the children, depending on their age it could be very unsettling.

If you want to do it, I think it would be wise to agree a set number of hours a week that need to be paid for and which she could use so at least the children get to know you and vice-versa.

Miffy xx

Newbie1!
10-02-2011, 08:56 AM
This could be very hard work for you and the children, depending on their age it could be very unsettling.

If you want to do it, I think it would be wise to agree a set number of hours a week that need to be paid for and which she could use so at least the children get to know you and vice-versa.

Miffy xx

Thanks chick, thats what I thought and will make that point to mum.

Thank you all for your replies.

I was thinking of telling mum that I need a retainer for 5 hours per week or an afternoon/morning session per week and that even if she isnt working it may be worth them coming, even if only every other week and then any more she required on top of that would be paid at the standard hourly rate as and when i was able to help.

Im not 100% sure on ages but have seen pics and Id guess at 3 and 1 1/2.

What I dont want is to be in a situation where she is reg'd with about ten local minders and uses us all at some point as and when we have availability.

Im hoping that things will be clearer tomorrow when shes been and I will report back :) xxx