PDA

View Full Version : Dried out playdough

eddie
09-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Anyone know of any way to rejuvinate dried out shop playdough???:huh:
Thanks

Kes
09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
No idea which is why I make my own, when it dries out I just make some more. You could just try lots of squishing and maybe a little water or stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds and see if it does anything.

mama2three
09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
depends how dried out. when it first starts to dry then a drop of oil helps , but wont work if its too dry already. x

Ripeberry
09-02-2011, 12:08 PM
I like to do a new batch, every 10 days or so and each child has their own seperate playdough (come on different days) as I keep thinking it's full of germs and one mindee does like eating it, even though it's full of salt....yuck!

sarah707
09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
We make new every week it's been ages since I bought any!

If I remember, a little oil usually revives shop bought dough if you move it around enough :D

miffy
09-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Chuck it and make your own, it's easy and cheaper :)

Miffy xx

Dragonfly
09-02-2011, 07:07 PM
New every week:eek:

babs
09-02-2011, 07:24 PM
i brought 12 tubs for £4 from warehouse and on side says to add few drops of water if it drys out.... cant make play dough goes like gloop:laughing: :laughing: but mindee likes gloop....

sandy64
09-02-2011, 07:54 PM
put it in microwave for 30secs to a minute then knead it works but will go hard again after a while and its easy to make your own and make different smells mint is lovely:)

sweets
09-02-2011, 07:58 PM
i like making black dough with lots of glitter in.

one colour i can NEVER make tho is blue! has anyone manged it, mine always comes out a dirty green colour, ive tried a few makes of food dye and used nearly a whole bottle in one of dough but its never blue!

Donkey
09-02-2011, 08:15 PM
it costs pennies to make!!!!

smart price plain flour, value oil, value salt, cream of tartar...

loads of receipes on google!

Zoomie
09-02-2011, 08:38 PM
i always use baby oil in my hm play dough :thumbsup:

bexcee
09-02-2011, 08:56 PM
i always use baby oil in my hm play dough :thumbsup:

Bet that smells lovely :) will have to try that next time :thumbsup:

Here's my foolproof recipe:

In a saucepan put 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of oil, half a cup of salt, 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar and a couple of drops of food colouring and/or essential oil. Heat until the salt has dissolved then remove from heat and add 1 cup of flour. Stir well and then knead while warm (I love this part!) It lasts for months in an air tight tub but I tend to replace it every couple of weeks.

So easy to do and you can add extras like glitter and change the colours and smells depending on the time of year and your themes. Lavendar is lovely and calming while satsuma is refreshing :clapping:

eddie
10-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Many thanks for all your replies!!

I do sometimes make my own but have lots of shop stuff that I bought to get various tools and bug eyes and we didn't put the lid on a couple properly so they were a bit dried out.

Bit of oil seems to have helped - so thanks!