PDA

View Full Version : reporting other childminders

Alibali
08-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I've noticed that recently there have been a lot of posts about people reporting/being reported to Ofsted/Care Commission, and its got me thinking.

A lot of the questions asked on here are also replied to with the response 'report them'.

Now in some circumstances, and if children are truly at risk then yes I can understand. However for some of the others I wonder if a quiet word with the CM may be a better way of doing it. A cm I know of has ended up giving up due to a complaint. What she did really didn't put the children at risk at all, and it turns out that because she was a new CM she didn't realise that what she was doing was wrong iyswim.

I'd like to think that if I was doing something I didn't know was wrong that someone would come and talk to me about it rather than report me straight
off. I'm sure that most of us try our very best to do what's right, but we are all human and we can all make mistakes, so lets not judge one another, but instead support and advise:D

nic t
08-02-2011, 07:04 PM
It would take alot for me to report another Childminder!

I would hate for somebody to do that to me. Would like to think that i would never do anything that I would get reported for but you are right a quiet word first I personally think, in most cases, is best. But there would be exceptions!

08-02-2011, 07:13 PM
People shouldn't throw stones that live in glass houses.....or words to that effect! A friend of mine (fellow childminder) got reported recently and it really affected her. I personally wouldn't ever report another childminder as I would hate for it to be done to me.

solly
08-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I would never report another minder unless the child was being harmed if I thought a childminder was doing something wrong i would pull them to one side and have a quiet word.

I have had a few malicious complaints made against me and i know one of the complaints had to be made by another childminder, on all occasions I had done nothing wrong

sarah32
08-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I've noticed that recently there have been a lot of posts about people reporting/being reported to Ofsted/Care Commission, and its got me thinking.

A lot of the questions asked on here are also replied to with the response 'report them'.

Now in some circumstances, and if children are truly at risk then yes I can understand. However for some of the others I wonder if a quiet word with the CM may be a better way of doing it. A cm I know of has ended up giving up due to a complaint. What she did really didn't put the children at risk at all, and it turns out that because she was a new CM she didn't realise that what she was doing was wrong iyswim.

I'd like to think that if I was doing something I didn't know was wrong that someone would come and talk to me about it rather than report me straight
off. I'm sure that most of us try our very best to do what's right, but we are all human and we can all make mistakes, so lets not judge one another, but instead support and advise:D

Speaking from experience, someone reported me on a fun day out, (centre staff ) didnt see the true facts of what happended, rather than coming to talk to me, Its now on my record for 5 years although I had 2 witnesses to say it didnt happen:mad:

Noomie
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
How awful that we all have to live with eyes in the back of our head to find out who's watching us!!

There might be some cases out there that need reporting, I don't deny it. But don't most of us have the children's best wishes at heart?

Our jobs are hard enough without the paranoia of thinking that we are constantly being monitored - not just by Ofsted but by our colleagues and the public.

Penny1959
09-02-2011, 05:56 AM
This has been a subject recently at NCMA regional forums - and is a subject which is complex.

Yes sometimes a 'word' will sort out the problem and some childminders do not realise that what they were doing was 'wrong' (especially those newly registered) and will be horified and amend their practice at once.

However some childminders are unfortunatley well aware of what they are doing and rely on the 'others won't report me' culture and continue their poor practice year on year.

I know some will not be happy with my response to this thread - but if you have had a 'word' without effect or know these childminders are well aware of the regulations or if any child is at risk (and that is all areas of safeguarding) then it must be reported.

First a child could be harmed either at the time - or in the long term and this is not acceptable

BUT also this poor practice (by this I mean not compling with requirements of registration) impacts on us all and gets us 'bad press'

I will be reporting others if I have concerns and I hope that others would report me if the need arose - in fact it is part of my policies and procedures that I expect parents and visitors to safeguard all children and to report any concerns.

Penny :)

The Juggler
09-02-2011, 07:20 AM
This has been a subject recently at NCMA regional forums - and is a subject which is complex.

Yes sometimes a 'word' will sort out the problem and some childminders do not realise that what they were doing was 'wrong' (especially those newly registered) and will be horified and amend their practice at once.

However some childminders are unfortunatley well aware of what they are doing and rely on the 'others won't report me' culture and continue their poor practice year on year.

I know some will not be happy with my response to this thread - but if you have had a 'word' without effect or know these childminders are well aware of the regulations or if any child is at risk (and that is all areas of safeguarding) then it must be reported.

First a child could be harmed either at the time - or in the long term and this is not acceptable

BUT also this poor practice (by this I mean not compling with requirements of registration) impacts on us all and gets us 'bad press'

I will be reporting others if I have concerns and I hope that others would report me if the need arose - in fact it is part of my policies and procedures that I expect parents and visitors to safeguard all children and to report any concerns.

and then they will most likley guess who reported them:(

manjay
09-02-2011, 07:36 AM

Completely with you on this one:thumbsup:

miffy
09-02-2011, 07:58 AM
and then they will most likley guess who reported them:(

Very true and having seen what can happen when childminders turn on other childminders ( without good reason) then I would have to think very carefully before I had a word with another childminder.

I do agree with every word you say in principle Penny but not sure I would risk the backlash in practice

Miffy xx

Penny1959
09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Very true and having seen what can happen when childminders turn on other childminders ( without good reason) then I would have to think very carefully before I had a word with another childminder.I do agree with every word you say in principle Penny but not sure I would risk the backlash in practice

Miffy xx

This is very true Miffy - and why on occassion I would NOT have a word first - it is a shame as I would like to think that all childminders would be professional enough to say - opps and amend their practice if someone pointed out their poor practice - but I know there are some who would turn on the person trying to avoid the need to report the concern -and get very nasty if the concern was then reported to Ofsted - and if I thought that was the case I would go straight to Ofsted without having a word first.

wendywu
09-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I would only report another CM if a child was being harmed or placed in danger. :panic:

Other wise it is their business.

manjay
09-02-2011, 09:29 AM
I would only report another CM if a child was being harmed or placed in danger. :panic:

Other wise it is their business.

I suppose that could be quite subjective too. We may all have different ideas of what constitutes danger:rolleyes:

angeldelight
09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I suppose that could be quite subjective too. We may all have different ideas of what constitutes danger:rolleyes:

Yes true

But whatever happened to good old common sense ?

Angel xx

luiza.t
09-02-2011, 11:05 AM
How awful that we all have to live with eyes in the back of our head to find out who's watching us!!

There might be some cases out there that need reporting, I don't deny it. But don't most of us have the children's best wishes at heart?

Our jobs are hard enough without the paranoia of thinking that we are constantly being monitored - not just by Ofsted but by our colleagues and the public.

I've got to disagree. You might be a wonderful childminder but there are awful ones (and awful parents too) out there and it is the society's duty to keep children safe.

Bridey
09-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I think that we ARE being monitored at all times anyway. Every time I leave the house I am representing myself, my business and reputation - especially as I live in a very small town. I get a lot of work by word-of-mouth in the school playgrounds, I'm very proud of this fact. The parents are observing and judging at each drop off and pick-up and the older children, I'm sure, tell their parents what happens at my house. Its up to me to make sure I'm professional at ALL times, not just once every 3 years.

Alibali
09-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I am quite happy for anyone to watch me at work anytime, as I try my very best to do everything by the book, and my first interest is always the childrens welfare, however, if on an occassion I do something wrong I'd like to think I am approachable enough for someone to have a quiet word.

I fully appreciate that there are cm out there who do things differently than me, but that doesn't make them 'bad childminders'.

However I believe that there are a very small number who don't meet the standards and know it, and don't care, these are not the people I'm talking about, I'm talking about some really nice people making an honest mistake or ommission.

Just to clarify, If I had any suspicion a child was at risk I would follow my whistle blowing policy happily:)